Confirmation Before Saving Over Files

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

InvaderJim42
Engineer
Engineer

Confirmation Before Saving Over Files

Post by InvaderJim42 »

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but when I get 'in the zone' and save regularly, I barely even look at the save files I overwrite when I save my games and scenarios. Several times I've accidentally over-written my (at the time) best game with a new one I just started. As I thought about it, I found it really odd that the pre-patched game didn't ask you to confirm if you wanted to save over a file that already existed (or if you chose to delete a file and may have clicked the wrong one). So my request is this: please produce a pop-up window (similar to the one you get for Quit/Quit Game) that prompts you if you want to overwrite/delete the selected file and asks you Yes or No. I'd be very very grateful for this... because my current method of making saved game files I'm not working on read-only is somewhat cumbersome and takes longer than I would like...
Last edited by InvaderJim42 on 01 Nov 2007 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Confirmation Before Saving Over Files

Post by wallyweb »

Great minds think alike! :wink:
I was thinking about that very thing early this morning. It is all too easy to accidentally delete the wrong file. It would be a whole lot less unnerving if InvaderJim42's suggestion were possible. 8)
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Thats why you turn autosave on and when you save, you use the name it gives the save. Would that not be just as good?
Last known as: Weirdy
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

wallyweb wrote:It is all too easy to accidentally delete the wrong file.
Would you really read a confirm delete popup and not just click the darn "yes"-button?

I'd probably be annoyed by a confirm overwrite popup, because I'm used to not having such I thing (I always keep one save per game, so overwrite almost every time I save a game). But as with everything I'd eventually get used to it, so if anyone is up for creating such a feature, be my guest.
InvaderJim42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by InvaderJim42 »

Keep in mind, fellows, that not all new features might be enabled by default. If someone doesn't like a feature, they usually don't activate the switch for it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

@Weirdy ... autosave doesn't always save when I need it .. ie ... I may not want the intervals that autosave offers.

@FooBar ... I have occasionally found occasion (what phraseology!) where having several saves over time has been very helpful with troubleshooting a problem.

@InvaderJim42 ... a patch option to activate/deactivate a switch is an excellent idea.
leno4
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by leno4 »

FooBar wrote:
wallyweb wrote:It is all too easy to accidentally delete the wrong file.
Would you really read a confirm delete popup and not just click the darn "yes"-button?

I'd probably be annoyed by a confirm overwrite popup, because I'm used to not having such I thing (I always keep one save per game, so overwrite almost every time I save a game). But as with everything I'd eventually get used to it, so if anyone is up for creating such a feature, be my guest.
Yeap i would get so annoyed, better be a "Dont Show Again" button
Rendall
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rendall »

Hmmm, I never ever overwrote one of my games. Maybe cause I just watch out what I am do. :tongue: Anyway, you can use a script during startup. There are many free tools which can be used to copy whole folders. Like robocopy or something like that. Just script something like c:\installfolder\savefolder\*.* /y /x
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I've found the exact opposite to be the problem - that is, my savegame folder gets jammed up with 20 copies of the same game saved every six months, as by default that's how it works. I wish there were a "Delete all old versions of this particular game (that is, with the same company name)" button.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

leno4 wrote:Yeap i would get so annoyed, better be a "Dont Show Again" button
Which absolutely everyone would use, therefore defeating the whole purpose.
krtaylor wrote:I've found the exact opposite to be the problem - that is, my savegame folder gets jammed up with 20 copies of the same game saved every six months, as by default that's how it works.
No, that is not how it works by default. Nor how it works by anything except manual intervention. By default the game gets saved to the same place every six months time: AUTOSAVE. If it gets saved anywhere else, that's because you told it to save it somewhere else.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, that is exactly how Autosave works. I'm referring to manual saves.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

Return to “Suggestions”