The "Werikur Palace"

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Elzîr Werikur
Engineer
Engineer

The "Werikur Palace"

Post by Elzîr Werikur »

Greetings, I've just signed in.

I've got that unrestrained idea of creating an opulent palace, or maybe a castle. It's purely ornamental, not some kind of common building to be placed in a town.
I think such a building would suit the Scottish scenaries, the deserted hills of the Highlands.
Dave

Re: The "Werikur Palace"

Post by Dave »

Go on then :)

George drew a castle. Or maybe someone else did and George coded it. But someone drew a castle. It was nice.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Attachments
Azay_le_rideau.jpg
Azay_le_rideau.jpg (85.99 KiB) Viewed 5732 times
Last edited by athanasios on 05 Oct 2007 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

i'd like some castles for my project!
Last edited by spaceman-spiff on 05 Oct 2007 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed signature from post
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

It doesn't have to be ornamental. The local authorities, in their wisdom, have recognized tourism as a valid industry with open season on tourists' purses, wallets and billfolds being declared. 8)

May I recommend something with a moat and a drawbridge which can be raised thus ensnaring the tourists inside until they pay a suitable amount in gold or its equivalent as tribute in order to be granted release?
Elzîr Werikur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elzîr Werikur »

I can see you've all got some very intelligent proposals. I'm sure the local authorities have already discovered this lucrative castle business. I think cities placed in areas with a castle should be able to accept more passengers than other cities, beacuse of the neighbouring tourist attraction. But at first I have to draw the palace.
As you'll see, I'm only an engineer. I have some thoughts about the elaboration, but I'm only an uninitiated Werikurian at all. I will need some help to make the outline.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

If people are looking for castles, then dont forget that the style of castles varies MASSIVELY from country to country. What is a castle in Germany, would be called a stately home in England.

To me, a real castle is a Welsh castle of Edward I - 1270-1300.
Beaumaris
Conwy

Conwy is ideal as the Victorians ran the North Wales railway through the castle!
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

richk67 wrote:dont forget that the style of castles varies MASSIVELY from country to country.
Well, not that much. O/c, there won´t be two identical buildings at all. And o/c² the style of castles varies as well inside any country.
What is a castle in Germany, would be called a stately home in England.
Hmm, well. Apparently there´s no suitable term for the German "Schloss", is it? Even "stately home" doesn´t really fit, IMO. How about "palace"? The german term castle ("Burg") is primarily used for a military fortification. OTOH, a "Schloss" is a large representative building of the nobility w/o any military function. In French it´s château resp. (château) fort.

regards
Michael
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

michael blunck wrote:the style of castles varies as well inside any country.
heavily depending on date of construction.

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

athanasios wrote:
michael blunck wrote:the style of castles varies as well inside any country.
heavily depending on date of construction.
Yeah. Most UK castles are very similar if built within about 30 years of each other. Then military & castle development advanced, and new designs came into use.

I find the national differences in the terminology quite interesting. In the UK, almost all forts are related to naval defences. I cant think of one that isnt. Castle is fairly easily defined - either they were built by the monarchy, or the nobility were given a licence to crenellate by the monarch. After Queen Elizabeth I, almost no military castles were built, and the local nobility built stunning non-military houses; some large enough to be called palaces (eg. Blenheim Palace).
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dudley Castle - a huge structure that's existed in one form or another since 1087.

Flickr

Elzîr Werikur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elzîr Werikur »

I am virtually coming from a country with a huge culture of castles - Germany. I would reluctantly call Schlösser as Neu Schwanstein or Wartburg "stately homes". Remember, when the New Seven Wonders of the World had to be selected, the Neu Schwanstein was recognized as a valid candidate.
But, for something rather pertaining to the elaboration of the castle, I still don't know how to draw it. Engineers don't have that amount of TTD-experiences, especially not Werikurians like me.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Elzîr Werikur wrote:I would reluctantly call Schlösser as Neu Schwanstein or Wartburg "stately homes".
Oohh, no, Neu Schwanstein is most definitely a castle; a clearly defensible location with a fortification on top. That has then been remodelled over the ages to look as it does now. Granted, to my eyes, its a fairy-tale castle, with some blonde Germanic princess locked up in one of those towers!
Firework Photography
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Neu Schwanstein has already been drawn by George and Minime (?), they're both different but absolutely fantastic pieces of art.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Neuschwanstein [...]
Neuschwanstein is rather a touristic facility than a genuine castle or palace. It was only build since 1869 by the Bavarian King Ludwig II as a personal retreat and a homage to his friend, the componist Richard Wagner.
Neuschwanstein was designed by Christian Jank, a theatrical set designer, rather than an architect, which says much regarding Ludwig's intentions and explains much of the fantastical nature of the resulting building.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein
That´s exactly why it´s a most prefered object for Japanese and American tourists (good choice, George!). I´d say that it´d be visited almost only by Germans because of an interest in Ludwig II himself ("the Fairy tale King", "the Swan King" resp "the Mad King"), but not for the building itself, hehe. :P

The Wartburg case is indeed very much more interesting. A historic place of outstanding significance, both because of its long history (built 1067) with an involvement in many essential developments in Germany, and the mere fact that it once served as a safety retreat for Martin Luther after his excommunication by Pope Leo X, thus representing an important event for the development of Christianity.

[slightly OT]

Anyway, I´ve visited castles in a couple of countries and my personal favourite in Germany is none of the "great" castles, but it´s "Burg Falkenstein" ("Castle Falcons's Rock") in the eastern Harz Mountains (former GDR). (Yes, the Harz Mountains have more to show than just 3 routes of NG steam railway. 8) ) This is one of the few castles in Germany which were never destroyed and it has an uninterrupted history as a living place for some local noble houses.

Built between 1120 and 1180, it´s still equipped with everything you´ll expect from a medieval castle: 7(!) historic gates to enter the castle, walls and an impressing keep, dungeons, a palace, stables and contemporary kitchens; completely furnished living rooms, collections of weapons and armour and other objects dating back to many hundreds of years.

It´s also a historical place because it was here where Eike von Repgow wrote in 1230 the Sachsenspiegel, a most important law book and legal code, written for the first time in German instead of Latin.

In addition, this castle is situated in a fantastic hiking region (which the whole Harz Mountains are, in fact) which is still far from being a center of tourism, so accomodation/eating/drinking in this area is still very good and cheap. I´ve been there for quite a couple of times.

Well, did I miss something? Oh yes, the usual treasure connected with a "real" castle. Funny thing is that after Germany´s reunification in 1992, that treasure had been found inside the castle. It had been hidden there before the arrival of the Soviet troops in 1945 by the family of Asseburg-Falkenstein, and had been held secret by them until restoration works threatened its further existence. Parts of the treasure have been auctioned off by Sothebys of London, including collections of Meissen porcelain, works of Italian painters, ancient weapons and armour, among the usual golden services and jewelry, but parts of it are still on exhibition in the castle.

OTOH, there´s no ghost, which especially you british guys could find disappointing. 8)

For quite a couple of more pictures, visit Raymond Faure´s Harz site:
http://www.raymond-faure.com/Burg_Falke ... -burg.html

regards
Michael
Attachments
burg-falkenstein3.jpg
burg-falkenstein3.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

michael blunck wrote:Funny thing is that after Germany´s reunification in 1992, that treasure had been found inside the castle.
Germany's reunification has been accomplished in 1990, after the breaking up of The Berlin Wall (along with the rest of the inner-German frontier) in 1989.

I assume you meant that the treasure has been found in 1992 (so the comma is a little misplaced, though not grammatically). Just to clarify. :wink:
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

This is why I'm such a fan of Transport Tycoon and the patch. The discussions about the vehicles and structures, even if they are never drawn or coded ( :( ) , are enlightening experiences all on their own. 8) . Who said this game was not educational? :D
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Wallyweb wrote:Who said this forum was not educational?
I´d say it´s very educational. At last you learn about the placement of commas every day. 8)

regards
Michael
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes, fascinating insight there Michael. Thanks for sharing.

Flickr

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I really enjoyed reading your informative post Michael. Thank you.
Here is some information about a couple of castles in Greece.
1. Chora castle in Kythera. That's my mom's island so I mention this one first. :wink: This started as a fortress in the 13th century. It was expanded to a castle in 1503. Has 38 canons. In and around there are many churches some dating from the 15th century. Next to it is the Provlepton Palace which currently houses the historical archive of the island with documents dating from 1560. The castle is a major tourist attraction. (Source: Wikipedia, http://www.kythira.com)
2. Chlemoutsi Castle. Founded in 1220 and finished 3 years later by knight Godfrey II. Please visit http://www.explorers.gr/show.php?action=m&id=45 : many photos and history (in Greek language).
3. Angels castle in Corfu. Took its final shape around Michael Angelos Komninos death in 1214. Data suggest that construction started 50 years earlier by Emmanuel Angelos Komninos. Please visit http://www.explorers.gr/show.php?action=m&id=16 : many photos and history (in Greek language).
Attachments
Kythera Castle at night.
Kythera Castle at night.
Kythira1239.jpg (83.8 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
View from Kythera Castle, by Kostas Kranis. http://www.pbase.com/kkranis/kythera__cerigo
View from Kythera Castle, by Kostas Kranis. http://www.pbase.com/kkranis/kythera__cerigo
20859374.DSCN8475.JPG (194.48 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
20859400.view.JPG
Kythera Castle and Hytra, by Kostas Kranis. http://www.pbase.com/kkranis/kythera__cerigo
(180.96 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Return to “Suggestions”