Bribery and town expansion

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Bribery and town expansion

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Now, i understand not everyone might like to bribe towns, but i was thinking of a way that might make it slighty more useful/worthwhile,

Say you were to bribe a town, for every level of bribe you give them, the council could use some of that money to fund new buildings or fund local road constructions etc, as a way of showing that your money whilst wasted in your eyes is helping the town grow as the council pump the money back into the town.

everyones thoughts?

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Bribery and town expansion

Post by wallyweb »

Your concept is good but "Bribery" is the wrong term. A bribe usually disappears into some official's pocket never to be seen again, in return for an illegal favour granted to the briber such as "Go ahead ... build that polluting industry next to that school and hospital ... I won't look while you do it". That said, the game already has new road funding and new building funding both of which can lead to town expansion. Perhaps those could be amended to make them dependent upon the level of funds contributed.
Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stevie D »

There's already an option for funding new buildings - it's called "fund new buildings".

Bribery is used to improve your rating with the city council, so that you can build stations or airports, and demolish city roads or bridges, if they don't like you all that much. There's no need for it do anything else as well.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

But it is wrong. The one who got the money will go and build a nice villa, outside the city! :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Stevie D wrote:There's already an option for funding new buildings - it's called "fund new buildings".

Bribery is used to improve your rating with the city council, so that you can build stations or airports, and demolish city roads or bridges, if they don't like you all that much. There's no need for it do anything else as well.
Wallyweb already said everything you did previously....
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

mjja
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mjja »

Actual bribery, where money is paid to an official to sway their opinion on the merits of a certain planning application, is relatively rare nowadays.

What happens a lot more is that the person/company wanting to sway an official's opinion does it in the planning application itself - "As part of the project we undertake to fund the local authority's projected new swimming pool complex, to recompense the local residents for any inconvenience they might suffer during construction" or something. That gets the official out of a hole because he was over budget on the project and was about to be called up on the carpet about it - but nobody knows that.

Don't laugh, this is how things happen in the real world. :|
Happy Gunzelling and remember, "Go By Rail!"
Michael Angelico
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

In my real world they still take the money and run. Occasionally they'll settle for that swimming pool, but its in their back yard and not open to the neighbourhood. :wink:
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
They do it with an attitude nowdays!

The public swimming pool will never finish but the one in the backyard is already in operation!

Packer
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Packer »

Not how bribes work IRL. If the Mayor/counilman or w/e, just suddent;y go new funds into the cities treasury, he'd have some 'splaining to do.

Maybe donate money to the city to help it grow more. (ie residental areas)
wallyweb wrote:A bribe usually disappears into some official's pocket never to be seen again, in return for an illegal favour granted to the briber such as "Go ahead ... build that polluting industry next to that school and hospital ... I won't look while you do it".
Wonder if that explains something that happend near where I live. (they built a sewer next to a school, and they are 3 years late on taking down the sewer....)
Comeng 523M
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Comeng 523M »

mjja wrote:Actual bribery, where money is paid to an official to sway their opinion on the merits of a certain planning application, is relatively rare nowadays.
In Australia, yes. Elsewhere, erm... not necessarily.
mjja wrote:What happens a lot more is that the person/company wanting to sway an official's opinion does it in the planning application itself - "As part of the project we undertake to fund the local authority's projected new swimming pool complex, to recompense the local residents for any inconvenience they might suffer during construction" or something. That gets the official out of a hole because he was over budget on the project and was about to be called up on the carpet about it - but nobody knows that.
In some countries, companies do bribe certain officials to assist the company. Recently in the People's Republic of China the CEO of some food company was found to have bribed an official to pass the companies food safety check. Both the CEO and the official were caught and they have been sentenced to death. The official had a mansion in Thailand or something apparently, bit weird for someone in a communist country to have a mansion, no? :wink:

It happens just like this in the game, when you are caught bribing officials, the official is executed and isn't replaced for 6 months. :twisted:
mjja wrote:Don't laugh, this is how things happen in the real world. :|
bahahahahaha! :lol:
mjja
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mjja »

I'm talking about civilised countries mate - not where you are! :P
Michael Angelico
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

mjja wrote:I'm talking about civilised countries mate - not where you are! :P
pantagram - Location: Melbourne, Australia
mjja - Location: Melbourne, Australia
:?: :?: :?: :?:
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This deserves a prize.
What are your suggestions members of the forums AND Sir Dave Worley, MC?

*MC="Master of Competitions".

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

athanasios wrote:This deserves a prize.
What are your suggestions members of the forums AND Sir Dave Worley, MC?

*MC="Master of Competitions".
What? A contest for the most civilized country? We tried that where I live a while ago ... We couldn't find any contestants. :(
:lol:
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Come on wally, I was referring to mjja's post. It deserves the golden banana prize of the year. :lol:

Can someone provide us (= draw) the prize?

mjja
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mjja »

I know young Pantie from a few other boards, and he's mentioned China as his location. He seems to commute regularly though.
Michael Angelico

Return to “Suggestions”