Towns accept too many passengers

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Towns accept too many passengers

Post by Stevie D »

After getting very confused as to why my steel mill was no longer accepting iron ore, and realising it was because I'd got a zillion tons stockpiled and it had filled up the warehouses (another great feature, many thanks to the brains behind it!), I wondered if a similar pattern should happen in towns.

At the moment, if you run a good bus/train service from a big city to a small town, that small town with a population of 300 could be accepting 3000 passengers a month - that's not realistic. How about a situation where a town would only accept a certain maximum number of passengers/mail in any month? I would guess it would be linked to the size of the town, but whether it would be equal, double, or variable by a switch, I don't know.

(You could have it depend on the catchment of the station in question, rather than the population of the town as a whole, but I wonder if this would be more difficult to convey to players when they are figuring out how many passengers to send to an area).

This would mean that (a) you would have to think more strategically about where to build services and not just dump passengers wherever is convenient, and (b) long services with several calling points at smaller towns along the way become more worthwhile - if not all passengers can get off at the first station, there is more benefit from running the train right along the line.

Sorry if this has been suggested before, but I've read the "to do" list and searched the forum and can't see it mentioned.
EngiNear
Engineer
Engineer

Excellent! Re: Towns accept too many passengers

Post by EngiNear »

This is really a very good idea. I like when we think about this game in a more realistic, strategical way.

:o

Good thinking Stevie.
a25003
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Towns accept too many passengers

Post by a25003 »

i quite like this idea as well, especially this bit
long services with several calling points at smaller towns along the way become more worthwhile - if not all passengers can get off at the first station, there is more benefit from running the train right along the line.
that would be more like real life then.
Dave

Re: Towns accept too many passengers

Post by Dave »

An interesting theory to the "passenger destinations" problem which has plagued the game's realism-capability for years.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Suggestions”