Station catchment areas

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Station catchment areas

Post by Stevie D »

Third and final suggestion from me before I go to bed...

How about variable catchment areas, depending on station type?

eg,
  • a bus stop has a catchment of 2 tiles
  • a bus station or a tram stop has a catchment of 3 tiles
  • a railway station or heliport has a catchment of 4 tiles
  • a small airport has a catchment of 5 tiles
  • a large airport has a catchment of 6 tiles
This would be more realistic, in that people will travel much further to get a plane than they will a bus - this is particularly relevant when playing against network or AI competitors. It would also encourage players to think more carefully about what type of transport to offer.

The big question this raises is, what happens when you have interchange stations, eg when you add a bus stop to a railway station? As I see it, there are two options.
  • The catchment for the railway station remains 4 tiles outside the railway station, and the catchment for the bus stop remains 2 tiles outside the bus stop - which in this case would mean no additional catchment, although it wouldn't always work like that.
  • The largest catchment for the station group would apply around all constituent parts - so in this case, the catchment would extend 4 tiles away from any part of the railway station or bus stop.
I don't really have a preference for one of these options over the other - I think both would work well for different reasons - I guess the crucial answer would be whichever one is easier to code! (Or if both are reasonable, could be selectable via an option on the switch).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Station catchment areas

Post by DaleStan »

Can you please read the todo before posting any more suggestions?

Thank you.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Station catchment areas

Post by Stevie D »

Sorry, I did read through the list but I'll admit by the time I got that far down I was skim-reading pretty quickly and missed that one.

I guess it shows I'm not the only person who likes the idea, at least!

Return to “Suggestions”