Speed limits

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Speed limits

Post by Stevie D »

Just a small one this - urban speed limits.

How about ...
- on roads adjoining a town building (either alongside or diagonal), a speed limit of 50mph / 80kph applies.
- on city roads (ie, street lighting / trees), a speed limit of 30mph / 50kph applies.

This would be more realistic, and would give more incentive to build good road systems to by-pass towns. If the route-finding algorithm could take into account speed as well as distance, that would be even better!

Just thought of something else on a similar but different theme - how about weight limits for bridges? Cheap bridges have maximum weight, and lorry or train consist that's heavier won't cross it? Hmmm ... that might need more thought ... it sounded a good idea in my head but I think it raises a lot of questions ...
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Speed limits

Post by Bilbo »

Stevie D wrote:Just a small one this - urban speed limits.

How about ...
- on roads adjoining a town building (either alongside or diagonal), a speed limit of 50mph / 80kph applies.
- on city roads (ie, street lighting / trees), a speed limit of 30mph / 50kph applies.

This would be more realistic, and would give more incentive to build good road systems to by-pass towns. If the route-finding algorithm could take into account speed as well as distance, that would be even better!
I think it can, last time I tested it, it avoided wooden bridge :) Though it seem not to recognize uphill/downhill, so it preferred hilly track instead of nice bridge with limit 500km/h. So probably it can recognize speed limits.
Stevie D wrote: Just thought of something else on a similar but different theme - how about weight limits for bridges? Cheap bridges have maximum weight, and lorry or train consist that's heavier won't cross it? Hmmm ... that might need more thought ... it sounded a good idea in my head but I think it raises a lot of questions ...
This may be IMHO diffucult to implement.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Spingo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spingo »

I think that this is a top idea - mainly because I just thought of it and was about to suggest it before remembering that I should search first! :wink:

The thing that made this idea pop into my mind was the thread on creating highways using one-way roads. I don't know how difficult it would actually be to implement proper highways (as in, click a button in the toolbar and higher-quality two-tile wide highway is built, much like is done in SimCity, for instance). Highways could be like Autobahns with no speed limit, other roads could be speed limited to 80kph and city roads to 50kph. No more Foster Mark II Superbuses hurtling through town at 127kph!

This way, even bloody Harold Scruby can enjoy OpenTTD... :lol:

:edit: Crap - I just realised that this is the suggestions forum for TTDPatch - not OpenTTD. That'll teach me for using the search function!
May your cheese be tasty!
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Spingo wrote::edit: Crap - I just realised that this is the suggestions forum for TTDPatch - not OpenTTD.
You're not first (and probably not last) who accidentally posted suggestion for OpenTTD into TTDPatch forum ....
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I did create a patch that did just this (for OpenTTD), some time ago. I probably should have finished it, really (it just needed a bit of tidying up and submitting). I'm not sure where I actually put the patch, now. :?

I'm somewhat confused as to whether this topic was intended for the TTDPatch forum or the OpenTTD forum. I posted this post assuming the topic was meant to be in OpenTTD, so was going to move it, but upon rereading it, I'm not sure. So, eh.
Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stevie D »

The original suggestion was for TTD Patch, because that's the one that I play ... but if other people want to take it to OTTD as well, that's fine by me!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I'm positive this has been suggested before too. If you get too many yields when running a search try narrowing it down by using a more descriptive search query.

Return to “Suggestions”