Increasing number of vehicules ID in the GRF definition

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Increasing number of vehicules ID in the GRF definition

Post by DaleStan »

Maedhros wrote:A much better way would be to have a base-cost for each page, though that may not be desperately easy to code.
And which page's base cost controls things like rail construction costs? Or house demolition costs?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

DaleStan wrote:
Maedhros wrote:A much better way would be to have a base-cost for each page, though that may not be desperately easy to code.
And which page's base cost controls things like rail construction costs? Or house demolition costs?
I think the first page (page 0). If you have more GRFs trying to manipulate these costs, they would be conflicting with current system anyway :)

But GRF with vehicles is usually not supposed to modify cost of bulldozing. And perhaps it shouldn't alter cost of rail construction too.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Explain to me why it is unacceptable for the DBSetXL to vastly increase the cost of rail construction?
Or why it's unacceptable for TTRS to increase the cost of removing town buildings? (If you're going to page things, all GRFs have to be assigned a page. Not just vehicle GRFs. And some GRFs may contain both vehicle and non-vehicle entities.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

DaleStan wrote:Explain to me why it is unacceptable for the DBSetXL to vastly increase the cost of rail construction?
Or why it's unacceptable for TTRS to increase the cost of removing town buildings? (If you're going to page things, all GRFs have to be assigned a page. Not just vehicle GRFs. And some GRFs may contain both vehicle and non-vehicle entities.)
Then you'll stuff these in slot 0 ....

But that would a bit contradict that everythiong is automatically put in a new slot unless user says otherwise....

So probably when overruling something really global, value from lowest (or highest) slot ID will take priority. This way it should work ... if one thing overrules it, nor problem. If two things overrule it ... the slot ID may act a bit like GRF order ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Bilbo wrote:... the slot ID may act a bit like GRF order ...
Why not use GRF order like it is today with only one page? Last GRF wins!
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

About global vars, using slot 0 only to get the global modifier... I don't like it too much, as people will "cheat" by placing some GRF in other slots.
What about determining the hardset setting, then applying it ?
Or average value.
We could also use difficulty settings as reference : if a setting lower the buldoze cost by 50% and another raise if by 100%, then just use the difficulty setting construction cost in order to deduce wich one to apply.

I think there are just a full range of available solutions that could be better than just using 0 :)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

May I suggest to look at this problem from the other point?

Why not (at least at first) to leave GRF format unchanged and allow OTTD to load several GRFs that provide vehicles on the same IDs by providing the space of its own IDs for each GRF? OTTD itself may use 5 bytes to store IDs, first 4 for GRFID and the last for ID inside the GRF. This way it can display any of the vehicles correctly.

This way, if some set needs more IDs than TTD allows, it can be split into according number of parts.

May be on the next step someone will look for possibility to port/code this in TTDPatch too
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Suggestions”