upgrade buildings/put buildings on halt

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

daves2hd
Engineer
Engineer

upgrade buildings/put buildings on halt

Post by daves2hd »

ok here's the basic of the problem:

after playing some years through a game and stuff I build more airports/train stations/bus stops/deposits...
but sometimes I want to expand this building or improve.
but there are just loads of planes, trains, trucks/busses coming in a stream that I can't even begin to stop, by the time I'm done the company will be bankrupt :p

so the Idea was to be able to put for example an airfield on hold, meaning it will reject all plains from landing and redirect them to the next thing on their list. this way I can destroy that airfield quickly and rebuild a better one in it's place.

other idea was to be able to upgrade buildings, the first thing is the same, redirect/reject all incoming, but instead of having to destroy an airfield/deposit/harbor/train station. (if there is enough room to) I can upgrade the building, this way the waypoint for all the vehicles stay, you can easily reopen everything by flicking a button to "accept" again. and everything still has the waypoint in it's route.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: upgrade buildings/put buildings on halt

Post by Bilbo »

daves2hd wrote:so the Idea was to be able to put for example an airfield on hold, meaning it will reject all plains from landing and redirect them to the next thing on their list. this way I can destroy that airfield quickly and rebuild a better one in it's place.

other idea was to be able to upgrade buildings, the first thing is the same, redirect/reject all incoming, but instead of having to destroy an airfield/deposit/harbor/train station. (if there is enough room to) I can upgrade the building, this way the waypoint for all the vehicles stay, you can easily reopen everything by flicking a button to "accept" again. and everything still has the waypoint in it's route.
Featuire allowing to close airport would be very useful. For very busy airports it gets quite difficult to replace them with some better version, since these **** airplanes continue to land and flood the airport and only thing you can do is to "catch" every incoming airplane and redirect it away ...

Also, for upgrafing airport without loosing the waypoionts, build first a bus station next to the airport, bulldoze the airport and build new one next to the station (the station will need to touch both current airport and planned site for future airport). This way the new airport will be same point in orders as the old (the orders will be invalid only temporarily for few secs before you build new one) and after you do that, you need not to change any orders.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
daves2hd
Engineer
Engineer

Re: upgrade buildings/put buildings on halt

Post by daves2hd »

Bilbo wrote: Also, for upgrafing airport without loosing the waypoionts, build first a bus station next to the airport, bulldoze the airport and build new one next to the station (the station will need to touch both current airport and planned site for future airport). This way the new airport will be same point in orders as the old (the orders will be invalid only temporarily for few secs before you build new one) and after you do that, you need not to change any orders.
this is a forced alternative, not an optimal solution :p
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

And it's not even required. Just rebuild the airport, covering old airport's footprint, before the station sign vanishes.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

DaleStan wrote:And it's not even required. Just rebuild the airport, covering old airport's footprint, before the station sign vanishes.
Still, building the bus station before is better, since if you demolish the airport and then see some messages like "town authority hates you", the grey sign may vanish before you fix the authority problem by raising the your rating somehow ....
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

Bilbo wrote:
DaleStan wrote:And it's not even required. Just rebuild the airport, covering old airport's footprint, before the station sign vanishes.
Still, building the bus station before is better, since if you demolish the airport and then see some messages like "town authority hates you", the grey sign may vanish before you fix the authority problem by raising the your rating somehow ....
But if you've got a bad town rating, you won't be able to build the new airport even if you built a bus station to keep the station sign until you fix the problem. And by then, the town may have built new building where you want to build the new airport, so destroying those buildings would decrease your rating further. So in that case, you would have to buy the land first before raising the rating.

It's a general rule to not destroy any stations without checking the town rating.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Return to “Suggestions”