Litigation and Insurance

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Riptokus
Engineer
Engineer

Litigation and Insurance

Post by Riptokus »

I was playing last night and came up with an interesting idea. Litigation and Insurance.

Right now, if a vehicle is destroyed, you loose tens of thousands of dollars with nothing back. Some people use this fact to destroy competitor's road vehicles with a train. Since the train doesn't get damaged, this is a very nasty attack tactic. Hence the idea of litigation.

I believe that a good feature for this game would be a litigation function, where if people die from an accident involving one of your vehicles, you get slapped with a nasty lawsuit, costing you A LOT of money depending on many different factors, from the severity of the accident to the net worth of your company.

Naturally, Lawsuits are very nasty and could bankrupt a company quickly, and loosing vehicles when you are already morgaged to the hilt is a bad thing already, so Insurance should be added, maybe several different types, to prevent against loss of certain vehicles, different percentages of the values of the vehicles, and maybe even litigation insurance. Naturally these things would increase operating costs a bunch more, but the insurance aspect would add another element to the game.

Both can be expanded from here, (such as allowing paying for frivolous lawsuits against your competitors to increase their operating costs or countless other things) but I think the basic Idea would be a good addition to the game.

Alas, I don't have the time or inclination to do it myself, so Unless someone out there likes these ideas enough to put some into it, I guess the worlds will be free of ambulance chasers. Alas, what a loss ;)
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Is this not the same topic which was recently locked in General OTTD upon request of movement to Suggestions?
You may have got the wrong Suggestions forum...
You probably want the OTTD Suggestions.

Although, in general the TTDs are much more biased towards transport than financing, so making the money bit more complicated doesn't really make things better for the end users.
They upgrade from TTD to OTTDP, they crash a train, and then they are immediately swamped with stuff about lawsuits and insurance...

JGR
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Litigation and Insurance

Post by Bilbo »

Riptokus wrote:Right now, if a vehicle is destroyed, you loose tens of thousands of dollars with nothing back. Some people use this fact to destroy competitor's road vehicles with a train. Since the train doesn't get damaged, this is a very nasty attack tactic. Hence the idea of litigation.
Another way may be to improve the crossings for safety (they will close early enough for the collisions to be quite unlikely. On the other hand, on some busy maglev line this can mean that the road will be closed "permanently" and the vehicle will wait very long for some gap (maybe even indefinitely)

Current setting work quite reliably for trains with speed up to 100-120km/h. Once trains will go faster, crashes will be more frequent, for maglevs (400-640km/h) crash is "almost certain".

I don't think any insurance company will sell insurance for buses travelling across such "crossing of death" where chance of getting thru is neglibigle
Riptokus wrote: I believe that a good feature for this game would be a litigation function, where if people die from an accident involving one of your vehicles, you get slapped with a nasty lawsuit, costing you A LOT of money depending on many different factors, from the severity of the accident to the net worth of your company.
Still, if someone build 10 truck bus depots near your tracks and send and stop all 10 buses on your tracks. Once your train goes thru that section it will kill 10 vehicles with one blow ... and you have 10 nasty lawsuits. If done wrong, this feature may allow players to exploit such accident that will hurt them only little, but will hurt opponent much. When train and bus crashes, how do you determine who is responsible for it? Train owner? Bus owner? I don't think it will be possible to implement some automatic judge in the game. That would require very smart AI :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Bilbo wrote:
Riptokus wrote:Right now, if a vehicle is destroyed, you loose tens of thousands of dollars with nothing back. Some people use this fact to destroy competitor's road vehicles with a train. Since the train doesn't get damaged, this is a very nasty attack tactic. Hence the idea of litigation.
Another way may be to improve the crossings for safety (they will close early enough for the collisions to be quite unlikely. On the other hand, on some busy maglev line this can mean that the road will be closed "permanently" and the vehicle will wait very long for some gap (maybe even indefinitely)

Current setting work quite reliably for trains with speed up to 100-120km/h. Once trains will go faster, crashes will be more frequent, for maglevs (400-640km/h) crash is "almost certain".
For now we can use PBS signaling to close crossings! Just put it far enough and when trains reserve the path the crossing will close! ;)
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

ISA wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

For now we can use PBS signaling to close crossings! Just put it far enough and when trains reserve the path the crossing will close! ;)
And how realistic is a road crossing on a train line used by trains going significantly faster than 100-120 km/h, anyway? Or Maglevs, for that matter? In my opinion, it would even be a suggestion to disable level crossings on monorail / maglev tracks. Realism rules!!
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Dave

Post by Dave »

aahz77 wrote: And how realistic is a road crossing on a train line used by trains going significantly faster than 100-120 km/h, anyway?
They're being phased out here, but there are still AHB crossings (automatic half barrier) here in the UK operating on the Great Western Main Line, where line speed is up to 100mph. There used to be a few crossings on the West Coast Main Line too, where line speed was 125mph. These have been removed, pretty much. Hademore crossing was one of the worst. They've now built a bridge.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

ISA wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

From what I saw about PBS I remember things like "Does not work with YAPF" and "Big CPU eater" .... Alhough if used only for the crossings and only "against" vehicles, it may work :)

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

aahz77 wrote:And how realistic is a road crossing on a train line used by trains going significantly faster than 100-120 km/h, anyway? Or Maglevs, for that matter? In my opinion, it would even be a suggestion to disable level crossings on monorail / maglev tracks. Realism rules!!
Well, in reality I think it would be impossible to construct regular crossing over maglev or monorail tracks. Maybe some obscure design that will retract the road, kinda like some low bridges are retracted for big ships to be able to pass, but in that case it would be better and cheaper to build some tunnel or bridge anyway. And I think for hi-speed tracks (like 160km/h or more ...) it is usually forbidden to build a crossing ... you have to use tunnels or bridges

Dave

Post by Dave »

Bilbo wrote:
ISA wrote:
Bilbo wrote: Another way may be to improve the crossings for safety (they will close early enough for the collisions to be quite unlikely. On the other hand, on some busy maglev line this can mean that the road will be closed "permanently" and the vehicle will wait very long for some gap (maybe even indefinitely)

From what I saw about PBS I remember things like "Does not work with YAPF" and "Big CPU eater" .... Alhough if used only for the crossings and only "against" vehicles, it may work :)
What you should have seen is "Is not good enough for OTTD, apparently."

Ohhh I love stirring it :P

Seriously though - PBS isn't in OTTD yet. But it is an INTEGRAL part of TTDP, and in fact a major reason why TTDP retains a lot of users.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

aahz77 wrote:And how realistic is a road crossing on a train line used by trains going significantly faster than 100-120 km/h, anyway? Or Maglevs, for that matter? In my opinion, it would even be a suggestion to disable level crossings on monorail / maglev tracks. Realism rules!!
Yes thats true!
Realism rules! :)
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Dave Worley wrote:Seriously though - PBS isn't in OTTD yet. But it is an INTEGRAL part of TTDP, and in fact a major reason why TTDP retains a lot of users.
and the realistic acceleration, and now the restrictive signalling, with RA in OTTD you have a train turn around and sit in the station for a game week before chugging off very sowly :lol:
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...

Return to “Suggestions”