Newobjects - Thoughts and Suggestions

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Newobjects - Thoughts and Suggestions

Post by wallyweb »

ISA wrote:Sad that my laptop is in repairs, there I did have some sprites what could be implemented into new objects!
Be sure to post them when you get a chance. It will be interesting to see what ideas people have. :D
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Hmmm .. maybe add company statue (1x1) and company large monumental statue (2x2) also as buildable eye-candy objects?

ISA wrote:Sad that my laptop is in repairs, there I did have some sprites what could be implemented into new objects!
You have laptop in repair and you have not backed up the data on it?

That is not very good. If they replace your harddrive with new one as part of the repair, you'll lose all the data.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Bilbo wrote:Hmmm .. maybe add company statue (1x1) and company large monumental statue (2x2) also as buildable eye-candy objects?.
Well, a company owner's statue is already available through the local authoruities' window, however a 2x2 monument could be interesting. :D

Bilbo wrote:

That is not very good. If they replace your harddrive with new one as part of the repair, you'll lose all the data.
I'm sure if that were to be the case they would give ISA the opportunity to back up.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

wallyweb wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

I'm sure if that were to be the case they would give ISA the opportunity to back up.
Thats absolutely right! I did broke my audio input for my headphones. I thought I don't need to backup my stuff on my laptop, even I have the system drive and data drive separately for such reasons! Thanks for Your concern anyway!
And now we go back to topic :))
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

wallyweb wrote:Well, a company owner's statue is already available through the local authoruities' window, however a 2x2 monument could be interesting. :D
It is available, but it is built at place that town choose, not at place YOU choose. And you can build only one (per city), not entire alley to decorate your headquarters :)
ISA wrote:I thought I don't need to backup my stuff on my laptop, even I have the system drive and data drive separately for such reasons!
If they are both on same laptop (that is serviced), it won't help you if it gets lost or broken while in repair. If you have data drive taken out and have at home - then you have it at safe place :)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Bilbo wrote:
wallyweb wrote:Well, a company owner's statue is already available through the local authorities' window, however a 2x2 monument could be interesting. :D
It is available, but it is built at place that town choose, not at place YOU choose. And you can build only one (per city), not entire alley to decorate your headquarters :)
Good points! We will definitely take that into consideration. Thanks. :D
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

A couple of issues ...

Towers destroy our beautiful coastline ... could we also have for CB149 (var 10) and byte1 of var 41 a bit that indicates whether the tile is a coastal tile (same as bit1 of bb in var 60 for industry tiles). Thank you.

A bug in var 41 (slope data); in sub-tropical games only, the slope data is corrupted. None are correct, most values have 0x12 added, but when it is supposed to be 0 it comes back as 0x17.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Yes, you are correct about var 41, silly mistake on my part really, should be fixed soon.
As for the former, I might look into it but that'd mean testing if the tile is water (type 0x6) and then if it has the right bits for a coast (I think if its just raised if I remember correctly).

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Checking it for callback 149 would be somewhat possible, but keeping it on the tile would be almost impossible as the majority of the array space is already used*.
Also thanks to thinks like auto-slope it'd require code to maintain and remove that flag based on changes to the tile.

* - Well, Objects only uses up to landscape 6, so technically 7 and 8 are free, but I don't see the point in wasting 7 / 15 bits for a single bit.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Is there a way to get the landscape class of the current tile ? Together with the slope data, it would be enough to handle coastal tiles correctly. If the class is 0x06 and slope is 0x00 then it is water, otherwise it is a coastal tile and instead of choosing a grassy ground sprite I use a coastal one or disallow building at all.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Actually checking its a water tile (type 6, L4 - 6xh) and then testing if L5 is 1h would be sufficient according to TTD-Locations.
Although Oskar's updated version says that one would also have to make sure that the two lower bits of L3 are 0*.

* [Reference]

~ Lakie
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Isn't it true ... once an object has been placed on a class 6 - water/coastal tile it becomes a class A tile and that watery information is lost ? Although CB149 should still be able to know if it is a coastal tile. I could then simply disallow construction on coastal tiles (unless I have foundations). That would solve the graphical issues for the moment.

Not knowing too much about TTDPatch internal issues ... A new object (class A) tile has a tile type (L5) of 0x05; what about having one more; i.e. 0x06 for new objects sitting on a former coastal tile. Then having that information available, we could supply a coastal ground sprite instead of a grassy one and move the object onto high ground if necessary.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Because as already said, such a class would change possibly thanks to the wonders of auto-slope, also a lot of the code would reject the object as 0x80+ is HQ sprites, so it only literally accepts type as 0x5.
It would require storing a flag in one of the unused landscape arrays and then having to maintain whether its true or not. Which is a lot of hassle for such a minor point.

~ Lakie
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I suppose one method would be to initially store this flag, possibly allow for two bits, in sea and on coast. Upon alteration of the slope (auto-slope), these values are lost.
Instead the flooding routine is altered to flag these bits are necessary when it hits an Object tile. Though I'm not sure if that'd work.

Don't expect anything soon though, I have major coursework deadlines and they take priority over any work to the patch.

~ Lakie
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

There is no hurry; currently the major things work and we can live without foundation-less objects on coastal tiles. The only thing, that would help is being able to prevent building such objects via CB149.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

A selection of objects ... everything (except grass, trees, roads and tunnels) are objects; snow aware too, if applicable. Much more to come soon ...

If anyone has graphics suitable for inclusion as an object, we'll be happy to consider them.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

OzTransLtd wrote:A selection of objects ... everything (except grass, trees, roads and tunnels) are objects; snow aware too, if applicable. Much more to come soon ...

If anyone has graphics suitable for inclusion as an object, we'll be happy to consider them.
They are grat!

If you like more objects, You can talk with WRH:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=43524

Barriers can be coded with tiles in the central reservation tiles in motorways The problem is that I don't know if these tiles allow building bridges over them.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

OzTransLtd: Awesome! :)
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Bit of a dig, I've been thinking about some of the work here recently, and wondering if its worth the addition of a small feature / change.

I propose the ability to allow objects to have multiple directions, so that one id can cover around 4 instances of the same item (1 for each direction).
I haven't thought about any real specifics, its mostly just a debate at the moment.

I have a few ideas about how it could be done though, and remain compatible with older objects.

~ Lakie
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

A similiar topic was discussed around pikka's and yexo's airport stuff.
IMO the goal of "4 directions" is somewhat arbitrary. The airport stuff now allows multiple layouts which are not associated to a certain "direction". Instead the NewGRF can provide names for the layouts via some callback (similiar to cargo suffix), and it is up to the NewGRF whether the layouts refer to directions, liveries, tilelayouts or whatever it likes to do with the "layout variable".

See http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... umentation (currently varact2 variable 40 and callback 156).
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁

Return to “Suggestions”