Flash Tutorial

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Yes, otherwise it would be A LOT bigger it does so... :wink: (Commercial App) But I am not very satisfied with the result yet.
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

I just found this: vnc2swf. It uses VNC to capture a desktop/screen/window and records everything that happens in it, then converts it to a flash movie.

The demo seems promising, and depending on how fast it is (or the computer it's running on) it may well be capable of making useful tutorials.

Anyone care to try it?
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

I have tried using a VNC client to control TTD from another computer. Not having color settings correctly set for this, or having some other problem, I could not successfully do it (The colors were wonky on the controlling PC, probably because I wasn't in 256 color mode). I think I will try that this weekend, and see what I come up with. :)
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

'NMacro Recorder'

Post by jonty-comp »

nMacro Recorder - Screen recorder program

If I may make a suggestion... nMacro Recorder is a program I found on a magazine coverdisc once, and it seems to work well making tutorials. It works by recording mouse and keyboard actions, just like the original TT Tutorials.

If you download 'tutorial1.zip' and place the EXE file in your TTD directory, hopefully it should demonstrate an aircraft tutorial when run! The only problems are that you need the windows TTDPatch running at 640x480 with the Planeset. (I think that's all, anyway!) This is only a first try, I can do more if you want. Or, you could find and download nMacro Recorder yourself!
Attachments
tutorial1.zip
Unzip this into your TTD (Windows) directory and run!
(99.02 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Actually a macro recorder won't work, TTD uses one already and it fails.
I know how to write tutorials for the ingame macro player btw. but it won't work as I said earlier ... I wonder if the vnc2swf is any better in compressing then my test gif...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Macro Recorders

Post by jonty-comp »

But surely if you record a new macro that fixes the things that were wrong with the old ones - clicking in the wrong place etc. it will work? :?:
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

I think the argument against these marco things was that some patch switches change the position of stuff or summat, so they wouldn't do....
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

But then the next time the patch changes, it'll fail again. Or if someone has different .cfg settings.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

I'm still for Macros!

Post by jonty-comp »

nMacro Recorder enables you to run a program when the EXE is started, if you were doing tutorials for things that didn't require the patch, then you could get it to run a script that disabled everything in ttdpatch.cfg except the essentials and then run it. That way, you could ensure that everyone got the same tutorial! (theoretically) :?
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

What was it called?...

Post by jonty-comp »

Wait!:shock::o I've just remembered that I've got a demo of a commercial app that recorded screen movements into a Flash movie and could add balloons explaining what to do! The only downside is, because it's a demo version, it adds a watermark in the corner. Now if I could only remember it's name and where it is...

EDIT: It's called 'Demo Builder' from www.demo-builder.com. There's also a free one I found called Wink. I'll try them both!
Last edited by jonty-comp on 20 Nov 2005 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

If you switch all functions off in TTDPatch (except win2k) and reset the news settings (an error of plain TTD) to default the ingame macros work.

But what is not understandable on a macro recorder won't work. We need video capture system who will create highly optimized end products.
(As I said, I produced already an highly optimized gif animation, but the result size after the compression was simple to big)
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Demo Builder

Post by jonty-comp »

Here is the sample presentation from Demo Builder. Unfortunately, it's stuck a whopping great watermark in the middle of the screen, so it doesn't look very good...

I'm going to try Wink now.
Attachments
screensaver.swf
The Flash Presentation. Sorry about the sound effects!
(171.16 KiB) Downloaded 8582 times
slap head2
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Flash Tutorial

Post by slap head2 »

Why not create a custom scenario, with say four maps and a few industries. then use something like http://camstudio.org/ to record what goes on, with captions explaining what is happening. Create an account on youtube or something, then have a link from the Wiki to the videos. There would also need to be a link ingame to the Wiki.

EDIT
I ahve tested with camstudio, (which is free to use, by the way) and it allows balloons/ boxes to be added, as well as converting the AVI recorded video to SWF, so this seems to be quite the tool!
Just doing what I can to help :)
slap head2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slap head2 »

right, i should shortly have my first tutorial on youtube, under the user OpenTTD Tutor. Hopefully they will be of good quality and not too laggy! please let me know what you think!
Just doing what I can to help :)
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

A 5 year bump for an OpenTTD tutorial?

While I commend your effort, it would most likely have been better placed in the OpenTTD section...

As for the tutorial itself, it doesn't really appear to show much (it's a very basic setup).
The original TTD tutorials go into more detail (perhaps some annotation would be a good idea) and show you how to use signals/a multi-train setup.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github

Return to “Suggestions”