gentle slopes

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

gentle slopes

Post by lepkka »

¿The way of making gentle hills it's just a matter of new slope sprites and shorten it in NFO? or there is somenthing involving code?

I'm afraid i don't understand how the "height map" works over the grid yet

(sure been discussed before... not brave enough to find it)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Just hit Search on the top of the page, nothing to be brave for ;). But to asnwer your question: it's not just providing new sprites. The sprites have to be 'called when needed' and currently TTD nor TTDPatch supports it. But who knows, now that tilting trains became a possibility and some people are experimenting with smoother curves...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> now that [...] some people are experimenting with smoother curves

Not with "smoother curves" but with one extra sprite for train vehicles in curves. That´s an important difference.

The latter doesn´t help without the first, i.e. the combination of "new train curving" and "old rail curves" is looking really ugly.

I´ve seen it.

regards
Michael
Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Re: gentle slopes

Post by Stevie D »

I would love to see a "gentle slopes" feature of the Patch. The way I had envisaged it being done (and I've looked and can't see this mentioned since 2002, and we all know how much has changed since then) is:

Where you have a slope tile with a flat tile at the base of it, build a bridge covering just those two tiles. This would - either automatically or as one of the bridge options - be a gentle slope - possibly supported by the normal kind of 'foundations' graphics, and would enable trains (or road vehicles, but that's less of a problem) to climb without as much loss of speed.

By doing this, you could build railways up to much higher places than it is often reasonable to do now without having to use two or three locos on each train. It would be realistic, because railway engineers have always looked to build at the lowest gradient possible, particularly in the early days where trains couldn't cope with big hills well (just like in TTD).

Return to “Suggestions”