Tram and Trolleybus Discussion

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Which vehicles you prefer?

Trams
78%
Trolleybuses
22%

Total votes: 134

Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Raichase wrote:you're really working hard on this :)).
I did small part of job, Czech team is great, they done allmost everything! It'd be great for trams and trolleybuses to come on "possible" list, we are all looking forward to see it, and we all hope all graphics will be ready for that BIG day!
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

krtaylor wrote:The Czech set is using the third (maglev) slot for trams. Someday maybe we will have trams as an entirely new thing, sort of a road vehicle, but not now.
I know it's probably impossible, but this is my idea how this thing should work:
If tram tracks are using third track slot, trams would be incompatible with some sets which use three rail slots (at least two: Japan, which uses it for Shinkansens, and Serbian which use it for narrow gauge tracks, I don't know any other set with three slots, if exists) and it would be pity :( (other thing is that in that case trolleybuses are impossible, I don't like that fact, but I'm in smaller group - see poll :wink: ). So I think it would be great if it'll be possible to add more road slots:
Under 'Road construction' three options: road, tram, trolleybus (or maybe together in road menu, whish is probably easier);
Tram and trolleybus track sprites should be like 'normal' road with added tracks and/or wires (I think it's possible, you can construct electrified rail which use sprites combination);
It should be possible to construct tram tracks and wires or trolleybus wires instead 'normal' roads (I think it's possible, you can construct in that way different types of rail tracks);
Trams and trolleybuses should be road vehicles, which are not going on 'normal' roads (I think it's also possible, cause you have electrified rails, where you can use non-electric and electric locos, and 'normal' rails, where you can use only non-electric locos).
It would be good (altough it's not in direct connection with this topic) to construct drive-through station instead road tile (now you must demolish road, and then construct station).
So, I think only problem to implement trams and trolleybuses is: is it possible to add more road slots? Maybe there is different way, if anybody has idea, please post it.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, what you're talking about has been extensively discussed, and is though to be theoretically possible, but a lot of work. eis_os was working on it for a while, and that's where the drive-through busstop came from, but he ran into some problems and stopped for a bit.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

krtaylor wrote:Yes, what you're talking about has been extensively discussed
If that has been discussed in Forums, would you please give link to this discussion?

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Eh? It's this thread...
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
RailJade
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RailJade »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:I know it's probably impossible, but this is my idea how this thing should work:
If tram tracks are using third track slot, trams would be incompatible with some sets which use three rail slots (at least two: Japan, which uses it for Shinkansens, and Serbian which use it for narrow gauge tracks, I don't know any other set with three slots, if exists) and it would be pity :( (other thing is that in that case trolleybuses are impossible, I don't like that fact, but I'm in smaller group - see poll :wink: ).
Personaly, I would much have a tram/light rail system be implemented in the 3rd track option since it would be easyer to add into the game. Though I do agree on your point that this would be incompadible with any train sets that use the 3rd track type, though it would not bother me since I mainly use the US set.
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

RailJade wrote:
Wile E. Coyote wrote:I know it's probably impossible, but this is my idea how this thing should work:
If tram tracks are using third track slot, trams would be incompatible with some sets which use three rail slots (at least two: Japan, which uses it for Shinkansens, and Serbian which use it for narrow gauge tracks, I don't know any other set with three slots, if exists) and it would be pity :( (other thing is that in that case trolleybuses are impossible, I don't like that fact, but I'm in smaller group - see poll :wink: ).
Personaly, I would much have a tram/light rail system be implemented in the 3rd track option since it would be easyer to add into the game. Though I do agree on your point that this would be incompadible with any train sets that use the 3rd track type, though it would not bother me since I mainly use the US set.
I think doing it as a 3rd track type would be ok for a quick fix, but in the long run having as an additional road type - so that road vehicles can also use the streets - would probably be better
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

krtaylor wrote:Eh? It's this thread...
Oh, I thought it was discussed somewhere else... :oops:
SuperTycoon wrote:I think doing it as a 3rd track type would be ok for a quick fix, but in the long run having as an additional road type - so that road vehicles can also use the streets - would probably be better
Yes, I think the same

Pnaky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pnaky »

Hello guys... I create new tram caternary (something variations)... What do you thing about???

Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

All looking good! :D But last to right is closest to real. How's going work on catenary in curves (for both trams and trolleybuses)?

Pnaky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pnaky »

Caternary in curves it's no problem... This is same types of caternary in Czech Republic...
And I work on complete caternary for trolleybusses now...
But crossing between trolleybusses and trams is non-realistic in game...
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

VERY NICE. do you have any idea at all when this will be released I WANT. :shock:
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

@CzechTeam: Any news about tram set?

Hadez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hadez »

Unfortunately, nothing, since we have more projects to complete and Patch doesn't support tramway on roads...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

You could work on learning to be Patch coders so as to make trams work on roads. :P
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Hey, trams are available now! :D :D :D What's happening with Czech trams?
(Sorry for digging old topic, but I think here are many useful suggestions and graphics.)

Pnaky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pnaky »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:Hey, trams are available now! :D :D :D What's happening with Czech trams?
(Sorry for digging old topic, but I think here are many useful suggestions and graphics.)
Nothing... ;)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Since you already have all the graphics drawn, is there a plan to rework the Czech trams to be real-trams-on-roads now that you can?
Pnaky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pnaky »

krtaylor wrote:Since you already have all the graphics drawn, is there a plan to rework the Czech trams to be real-trams-on-roads now that you can?
Yes, we work on this set but we haven't some pattern for coding it... Trams on roads it's specially modified road vehicles, I think it...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh yes, you would completely have to recode everything I imagine. But you wouldn't have to change the graphics any, I don't think.

Return to “Suggestions”