Tram and Trolleybus Discussion

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Which vehicles you prefer?

Trams
78%
Trolleybuses
22%

Total votes: 134

eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Airport movement seems to be different..

Thats not a good idea to change the tables, certain values have special meanings.

I know where the codes are, but the resolving of them is unclear, some end marker values have special meanings. Changeing them will simple hangs the vehicle. Then I have an entire that is like this | -- converted in pixel.

I have no idea why the road vehicle stops for loading unloading, the code for the movement stays the same... there is no special code in the middle of the movement that could fire this event...

Currently I am very helpless ?(

As I said in the beginning, the station stuff is the hardest...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Hmm. I guess I expected that CS would have used the same sort of movement encoding everywhere. Guess not.

Maybe we could come at it from another angle? Leave the movement codes alone, but add a new type of virtual station? I mean, one that doesn't have a movement code per se at all, it's just a trigger that stops the tram in its tracks when it reaches the right spot, and then releases it to continue when the load/unload cycle is finished?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well no, each Road movement (on normal streets aswell) is based on the movement tables...
And thats why I have some problems with this entry:

| --

This is a normal road entry in the table but it doesn't make sense....
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

So what you're saying is, you'd have to find the right spot in the movement table to put the "station stop", where the tram would be commanded to stop if it was going to that station.

And you don't know what the code for such a stop would look like, nor do you know the right place to put it.

If you had the stop code, you could probably mull out the place to put it just by sticking it in various places and see what happened. But without either, it's a problem.

Not sure... There must be some way to experiment.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well there is no stop marker, only a special end marker, so I don't know where the stop is...
eis_os (previous post) wrote:I have no idea why the road vehicle stops for loading unloading, the code for the movement stays the same... there is no special code in the middle of the movement that could fire this event...
This seems to be a private discussion between krtaylor and me :))
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Hmm. Well obviously there must be some sort of code that tells the truck to stop. For that matter, there must be code that tells the train to stop at the station, and planes and ships likewise. Maybe if you look in the code for the trains, you'll find what stop-code looks like, and that'll help you find it for the trucks?
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well, if that would be that easy then I wouldn't have such problems.
I think any further discussion about the internals should be in a more direct way, irc as example...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yeah, well, since I don't write Patch code I can't really help directly. I can just come up with general ideas based on my experience in managing software projects and other coding, by ways it "might have been done." But it certainly seems the CS prefers a rather eclectic coding style. I had no idea that the truck routes were this obscure. And I imagine that you would know them best of anyone...

Wait a minute, there is something that was done which might pertain. Remember Patchman changed the way trucks queue up waiting for a slot in the station? He must have figured out how to get them to stop.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well because of some misinterpretation of perl and the stdin I got a wrong output, that was well broken, now with a fixed version some stuff makes more sense and I note down some informations I could get...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

\o/

Good to hear that you are making progress Oskar, you always seem to pull the impossible out and give it a good run for its money. Keep it up :D.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well I think I have most stuff researched for a drive thru station ...
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Sorry for double post:

I have currently a very hacked drive thru station, that display a pavement road. The Bus (Trucks not tested) find their route through it, well they can't stop.

I am very confident that it will work in the future, so if somebody likes he/she can draw some bus stops (I prefer German ones) ...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ah, Oskar does it again! :D Sounds great!
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Oskar, you never cease to amaze... Absolutely incredible report!

So now this opens the next question, if we add trams, would we lose one of the other 3 rail options?

Be interesting to see buses and trucks sharing the road with a streetcar...
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

/me pretends to know what he's talking about

If they aren't told to stop.. perhaps they just aren't told to move?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

eis_os wrote:Sorry for double post:
I have currently a very hacked drive thru station, that display a pavement road. The Bus (Trucks not tested) find their route through it, well they can't stop.
I am very confident that it will work in the future, so if somebody likes he/she can draw some bus stops (I prefer German ones) ...
May be you could also do something like the busstop, which was discussed here?
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11067
Image Image Image Image
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Quick George, draw som bus stops!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Oskar, you don't even know the meaning of the word impossible - you are just great, keep up the good work :D.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Wait a bit George, as I told you in earlier discussion I don't like the real oversized Busses.

But now we have a different problem,
George Long Vehicles are simple to big and don't fit in the TTD World.

So say I create the support for trams, how should the catenary displayed?

LongBusses wouldn't anymore fit into normal streets, create big graphic glichtes all would look really ugly.

On the other side, if the catenary is higher than the Rail catenary, rails will look to small...

So for me the whole tram idea can't work.

So thats what I will try to do:

Leave the trams in the impossible list.

Create a drive thru station, much like you see in Loco. You can build the normal station or the new one.

While I can now construct new bus stations with A LOT work I won't do that...

PS: I don't want any OpenTTD suggestion cross posts here or they will claim thats their idea, I have stolen code or something.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

As beautiful as Georges sprites are, I hope you realise eis_os, that some people dont use them, for the same scale issue you raised yourself.

But ahhwell, I'll settle for drive through stations.

Brilliant work Oskar.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!

Return to “Suggestions”