Custom town name styles vs. variable 9F

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Custom town name styles vs. variable 9F

Post by Csaboka »

Hi folks,

(I know I'm the author of both features affected, but I still creating a bug report because I won't have time to fix this myself. The development mailing list seems to be down, so I'm reporting here instead.)

In action F, you can have the town name style name in different languages, but if you have the style name in a non-default language, it won't ever be used. The problem seems to be that the changes in variable 9F are applied in postinforeserve, but action F is applied during initialization. Therefore, the action F handler won't ever see the custom language set by translation GRFs.

Instructions to reproduce: Add both hun.grf and huntown.grf to your newgrf.cfg, and enable newtownnames. In the town style drop-down, "Magyar" should appear, since this is the style name in Hungarian. Because of the bug, however, "Hungarian" appears.

I'm not sure what the best way would be to fix this issue. My first idea is that the action F handler could read var. 9F directly, but it would have to check for the unset value (0xFFFFFFFF). Does anyone have better ideas?
Attachments
hun.grf
Hungarian GRF translation
(58.81 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
huntown.grf
Hungarian town names
(879 Bytes) Downloaded 134 times
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”