Problem Starting The Game - Win Version, with Patch

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

coralleane
Engineer
Engineer

Problem Starting The Game - Win Version, with Patch

Post by coralleane »

I've been trying to sort this for the past hour or so, haven't had any luck, and am about to head out to work. Until recently I was running the DOS version with the last *stable* release of TTDPatch, but I could never get the sound to work so I decided to try reinstalling the Windows version and use the gamespeed switch on the newer releases of the patch to try to slow it down a little.

I installed the Windows version, applied the patch, and only set the Win2k switch, more hotkeys and game speed to see if they'd do what I wanted. They did, so I used the configurator to set up the rest of the switches. When I tried to run the patch, I got this:

After I clear the Windows error message dialog, I get two extra lines added, which are "Result: [Error!]" and "Press any key to abort." The screenshot is taken from a time when I hadn't deleted the TTDLOADW file, the only discernible difference is that when I do so, I get a couple of extra lines before the "TTDLOADW is ok" saying that it's creating the file.

I tried deleting TTDLOADW.OVL, and double checked that the switch to force building it was on, and I got the same error message. I tried using TTDPC to set the switches, and again got the same error message. I haven't yet gone through and tried doing the switch editing manually; I'll give that a shot tonight when I get home and see if that works. I did do a quick Google search but the most often returned piece of advice was deleting TTDLOADW.OVL, which I'd already tried repeatedly.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest anything that I might have missed or set incorrectly? Are there any switches that conflict with each other or are known to cause a problem on load? I may try reinstalling later as well, but the fact that it works with only a couple of switches set, and doesn't work when I have all the switches I think I want set, implies that it's probably not an install problem. There are no saved games or anything in this install (since I haven't got it to work yet, heh!). I'm guessing that the two programs aren't setting up the config file correctly, but testing that will have to wait for tonight.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Problem Starting The Game - Win Version, with Patch

Post by DaleStan »

coralleane wrote:In the meantime, can anyone suggest anything that I might have missed or set incorrectly?
Not without your ttdpatch.cfg and the latest CRASH###.txt file.
coralleane wrote:Are there any switches that conflict with each other or are known to cause a problem on load?
Yes, but none that TTDPC will let you set.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
coralleane
Engineer
Engineer

Post by coralleane »

Here's one version of the config file - I've tried several different ones with slightly different settings, however, so this is not the one and only. Most ended up written over! I've tried getting a crash report and haven't been able to, and I do need to leave for work about five minutes ago. I was following these instructions: http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... ingCrashes, from the "debugging a crash - alternate". A screenshot of the output is at http://www.coralleane.co.uk/images/shot.jpg, but I don't think it'll be much use.
Attachments
ttdpatch.cfg
Config File
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

coralleane wrote:A screenshot of the output is at http://www.coralleane.co.uk/images/shot.jpg, but I don't think it'll be much use.
Very much no use; neither IE nor Firefox will display an image there.

EDIT: Further investigation (with GIMP and a hex editor) makes me suspect that you uploaded a PSP file and changed the extension to jpg. That would have half a chance of working for someone who has PSP, but I don't.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Scautura
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Scautura »

Let's give you something you can read then (converted with IrfanView - lightweight tool, doesn't care about the extension if it can work out the contents)

Scautura (unaffiliated with the previous poster)
Attachments
shot.png
shot.png (82.81 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the universe together.
coralleane
Engineer
Engineer

Post by coralleane »

Problem finally solved now I've got back from work and had time to fiddle... I started with a clean config file, went through and enabled a small group of fixes at a time, saving after each, and finally tracked the problems down to having the switch for trams turned on. I assumed that the base graphics file would cover trams (especially since it mentions that it supercedes tramtrk), but maybe it doesn't. Or maybe something else is causing that to glitch. Either way, I'm not too fussed since I've not had them in before and only chose it as a "maybe I'll try that" idea. Thanks for your attempts to help anyway - I mainly just wanted to verify that it wasn't an obvious, recurring problem. I don't mind trial and error testing but it is annoying if you solve it and later find out that the problem is known/common and you needn't have fussed over it for so long.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ah. Trams. Trams requires newstations in 2.5 beta 9, and this isn't enforced. Also explains why it didn't crash for me; this has been fixed in svn in both 2.5 and 2.6 (the dependency has been removed). If you want something that resembles 2.5 beta 9.5, see this thread; this bug is fixed there, though there are some other bugs that were fixed soon after that was compiled, and none of us have since recompiled.

Also, that screenshot is rather weird. Are you quite sure you followed the directions exactly? You didn't, for example, set up Olly as your JIT debugger and let it start automatically when TTDPatch crashed? That works too, but then it behaves more like the usual instructions, instead of the alternate.
coralleane
Engineer
Engineer

Post by coralleane »

DaleStan wrote:Also, that screenshot is rather weird. Are you quite sure you followed the directions exactly? You didn't, for example, set up Olly as your JIT debugger and let it start automatically when TTDPatch crashed? That works too, but then it behaves more like the usual instructions, instead of the alternate.
I'm not really sure what I did - I tried to follow the instructions but I was in a hurry as I was on my way out to work (...I skidded in the door about one minute before my booking on time... thankfully I'd had a spare shift on Friday and had written out my duty then so I could head straight over to the platform!) so I probably misunderstood or didn't correctly follow one or more of the steps.

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”