Will TTDP run under Vista?

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

NutsnBolts
Engineer
Engineer

Will TTDP run under Vista?

Post by NutsnBolts »

Right, I am practically ripping my hair out and weaving a damn tapestry with it but I shall endeavour to remain calm and polite. Will TTDPatch run under Vista? If so, how?

Currently I am unable to get it to run even the latest nightly. Why? I have no damned idea. TTDConfigurator insists that Microsoft XML 2.0 is absent (which it may well be - the thing seems to run adequately, although this may be part of the problem). The window very helpfully tells me that it couldn't install the code loader and suggests deleting TTLOADW.OVL - needless to say (sigh) when I do so, the self same error comes up again. Nothing doing, it seems. I would try running OpenTTD, but since it seems that PBS (which is probably the best thing to happen to Transport Tycoon's railway systems) is incompatible with OpenTTD 0.5.3, and that getting hold of OTTD versions prior to 0.5.3 or so is again troublesome, I'm forced to try TTDP.

So far, however, it simply looks as though it's not going to be possible to play TTD under Vista with PBS. Not a tall order, I'd have hoped, but that's life I guess. Anyway, is there anything that can be done to get TTDP to run under Vista? :cry:
"As railwaymen, it's our job to give the best service possible to the public" - unknown engineman at Newton Heath, 1959.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Will TTDP run under Vista?

Post by Ameecher »

http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest

That will allow you to play with Vista, I haven't tried it yet though, I need Vista first ;)
NutsnBolts
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NutsnBolts »

As mentioned, the latest nightly is the version I've been trying to use - it cannot or will not install the code loader, whatever that is. Bit stuck, therefore. :-/
"As railwaymen, it's our job to give the best service possible to the public" - unknown engineman at Newton Heath, 1959.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

You do have the original windows version TTD application and data properly installed?
If not you will need to do a google and download it...

If you do have it installed, make sure you plonk ttdpatchw.exe in the same directory as GameGFX.exe / [language].exe
Also make sure that you have any Vista silliness [security features] turned off which might get in the way, I have no idea what these might be, but I wouldn't be surprised if UAC/whatever tries to block this sort of thing, from what I hear about Vista [yuck].

Lastly make sure that the win2k switch in your ttdpatch.cfg is on. (This is the only switch which must absolutely be on).

JGR
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
NutsnBolts
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NutsnBolts »

Yes, I have TTD installed. Yes, I have placed the TTDP files in the same directory. There is no newgrf folder - so no new graphics; for reason unknown it appears not to have been created

. I cannot persuade TTDXC to run properly, since despite my having downloaded Microsoft Visual Basic whatever the hell it is 6 and MSXML.dll AND place them in the correct folder, it is evidently incapable of discovering the file it so patiently requests. I have spent the past hour going round and round trying to find out what the hell things are, what's going on and how to fix it.

I enclose a screenshot of the error I am now receiving when attempting to run the game, and a further screenshot of the error which TTDXC faithfully spits in my direction every time I have the audacity to run it.
Attachments
TTDError.png
TTDError.png (54.17 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
TTDXCError.png
TTDXCError.png (45.69 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Is pressing 'y' at that question TTDpatch asks so hard?
If you press 'y' it should load, its just a disclaimer for the fact it may not work!

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
NutsnBolts
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NutsnBolts »

Pressing "Y" isn't hard at all. Whether it does what it's meant to is another business. Does that message mean I'm likely to get faults/crashes in the game or not? I don't know, so I'd like to get rid of it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

NutsnBolts wrote:Pressing "Y" isn't hard at all. Whether it does what it's meant to is another business. Does that message mean I'm likely to get faults/crashes in the game or not? I don't know, so I'd like to get rid of it.
Take a step on the wild side! Press "y" and see what happens. Mind you, there is a rumour about that it will wipe your O/S and replace it with a Linux distro, but I have yet to see any reports of this. :lol:

Take our word for it ... the "y" is really quite harmless and the warning is a standard alpha/beta distribution disclaimer thing.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

NutsnBolts wrote:Pressing "Y" isn't hard at all. Whether it does what it's meant to is another business. Does that message mean I'm likely to get faults/crashes in the game or not? I don't know, so I'd like to get rid of it.
Well then you can only enjoy the betas, as they are the only versions with version data.

There are bugs in the nightlies and betas, the trade off is that the nightlies have far more features but no version data (which can lead to issues).
The nightlies should be fairly stable though, just try it and find out? ;)

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

NutsnBolts wrote:I cannot persuade TTDXC to run properly, since despite my having downloaded Microsoft Visual Basic whatever the hell it is 6 and MSXML.dll AND place them in the correct folder, it is evidently incapable of discovering the file it so patiently requests. I have spent the past hour going round and round trying to find out what the hell things are, what's going on and how to fix it.

I enclose a screenshot of the error I am now receiving when attempting to run the game, and a further screenshot of the error which TTDXC faithfully spits in my direction every time I have the audacity to run it.
By the way, the TTDXC error has absolutely nothing to do with TTDPatch.... When you start ttdpatchw.exe directly, there will be no error about TTDXC not being able to locate some Microstink libs.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
NutsnBolts
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NutsnBolts »

Huzzah! All is now working... except that I'm getting the ol' "NO CD" problem. Funnily, even when I put my old TTD CD in the drive and set the CD path to that drive, it doesn't pick it up. I'm guessing this is due to my TTD being the Windows version, downloaded from a link somewhere or other. Thanks for the assistance, anyway, folks.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

NutsnBolts wrote:Huzzah! All is now working
Good :D
NutsnBolts wrote:... except that I'm getting the ol' "NO CD" problem
May I suggest you go to the TTDPatch web site and click on "FAQ" and then on "Installation and Configuration" and browse down to the question about the CD? I think you'll find your solution there. 8)
Maulwurf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maulwurf »

I have nearly the same problem, because the same error message occures. After pressing Y, a message with regristry error 4 shows up, you have to terminate the program and TTDpatch is not working.....
Could anybodx please help me??

Error message is shown below
Attachments
Unbenannt2.jpg
Unbenannt2.jpg (100.93 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Maulwurf wrote:Could anybodx please help me??
Did you read the FAQ page in the link I posted above?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Maulwurf wrote:... help!
http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=2029

regards
Michael
Maulwurf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maulwurf »

Thanks a lot! Now it is working. The only problem I still have is, that in the vehicle list of my company are no entrys. If I select one of the empty fields in the list, the window of the specific vehicle appears.... but there aren't any entries in the list? Maybe a configuration problem?
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

I think you need the new vehicle list sorting switch on
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Maulwurf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maulwurf »

Thank you, now it's fine!
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

I may be shamelessly *bumping* an old thread here, but Vista has the ability to configure and run older programs (like XP) so, it might be worth setting the compatability to Wincows XP SP2 to get thngs working.

So far, anything i have that was made in XP's prime has worked when i set that...

I might add a section to the wiki explaining what i mean once i've installed it...
any comments, you can catch me on #tyccon (welshdragon's my IRC handle)

(edit: corrected spelling error :P)
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TTDP will only work in Vista with a nightly build.

I've installed one and have never had any problems whatsoever.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”