Problem with newest r2384 under DOS (also there's no r1934+ DOS ttdpbase.grf file available)

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

jaZz_KCS
Engineer
Engineer

Problem with newest r2384 under DOS (also there's no r1934+ DOS ttdpbase.grf file available)

Post by jaZz_KCS »

What I have done so far is the following because I couldn't find a DOS grf file version r1934 or newer, which is required for the newest versions:

-decoded the ttdpbasew.grf (from version r1934 thread) with "grfcodec -d ttdpbasew.grf"
-encoded again with "grfcodec -e ttdpbasew.grf -m 1"

That resulted in a grf file that is 0.1KB smaller than windows version, so I think its ok, since this has always been like this so I take it as a sign it worked.

After that I installed r2384 with that newly converted dos grf file, which I renamed to ttdpbase.grf. And it worked! (At least it doesn't complain about the missing file and there are no crashes, so I guess it works as it should)

But heres my new problem: With the newest version r2384 I have no sound (although I hear a tick at the initialization at the start), and the mouse is also very choppy. Something doesn't seem to be right.

I have tried r2366 and r2372 with individual installations and they both work flawlessly (also with my new grf file), but the only version not running correctly is the newest r2384.

Has there something drastically changed in r2384? It does run, albeit without sound and very very laggy, something seems to be off in the newest one.

EDIT: Also when r1934 was created someone kindly made a DOS version available afterwards but never made the dos compatible grf file, that's why I had to made one myself. There is no DL for the new versions available which should be fixed... maybe put into the signature mirror as well?

Thank you for your patience, I really would like to be able to play the newest version under DOS on my old Pentium 100 :)

KCS
jaZz_KCS
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Problem with newest r2384 under DOS (also there's no r1934+ DOS ttdpbase.grf file available)

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Yeah it was a bold shot to try a last minute remedy of the most up-to-date version for DOS, but I guess r2372 will be the last working version for DOS (provided you convert the r1934 win GRF file to DOS format yourself) whereas r2384 will stay as last working version for Win for the time being.

If anyone wants to try a last remedy before this project vanished into the void please see my above post for info for further info.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Problem with newest r2384 under DOS (also there's no r1934+ DOS ttdpbase.grf file available)

Post by wallyweb »

I assume you got your r2384 version from here.

ttdpbase.grf followed its own release schedule as it rarely changed from one patch version to the next. The latest is in this post by DaleStan. The zip contains both DOS and windows versions.

WWTBAM and Lakie are the last to work on TTDPatch. They both have moderator status but afaik their forum visits are occasional. If and when one of them visits they should notice this topic and reply to your question.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have indeed noticed this topic however I am not currently in a position to work on the patch. I intend on attempting both development related work and testing of these issues at the earliest of next week.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have nearly fixed the issues with my development laptop however I will be moving house in a couple of weeks. I will attempt to get both my test x86 ASM build environment closer to working, getting all the GRFCodec bits setup and TTDPatch setup so I can test converted GRFs.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
jaZz_KCS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Looking forward to any changes! Still having problems under DOS with the most recent version as mentioned in OP.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have just asked a question relating to some technical GRF matters that I nearly forgot about that I need to resolve/have a better understanding of before I attempt to build a DOS version of TTDPBASE.GRF
jaZz_KCS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Still working on a possible last fix-up version?

Otherwise the penultimate version with very specific dos-grf file would be the version to use for DOS which just doesnt feel right :)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Using the copy of TTDPBASE.grf from the download at viewtopic.php?p=674392#p674392 works fine under r2384 for me under DOSBOX. The grf download contains both the windows and DOS version.
jaZz_KCS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaZz_KCS »

I will try with the 2384 game + 1846 grf combo under genuine DOS and report back.

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”