First german review

Talk about a game by JoWooD Productions, Transport Giant.
103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

First german review

Post by 103er-Fan »

The GameStar, yet another mediocre gaming magazine in germany, has put a one page review of Transport Giant in their newest issue.

Final score was 68%.
Bad things:
- Graphics outdated and boring
- Music boring
- Only one ground level
- No freedom in trackbuilding like Railroad Tycoon 3 has
- No multiplayer
- No tutorial
- New ideas are missing

I think the review was a bit rushed. Actually I don't care about the GameStar ratings, but there are some interesting sniplets in this review:
Unlike in TTD, you don't build a track and it is there. In TG it seems like you are in somekind of planing mode first, which means you are just planing the track layout, when you are done, the construction starts. Yes, construction :D It seems like the tracks don't just appear on the map, the writer said something about workers who are building the tracks on the map.

Although the 2d graphics are somewhat detailed, the whole environment looks too static and boring. Music seems to be so bad, that the reviewer wrote he turned it off quickly :shock:
Multiplayer was a no go and gave another negative point for the game, the same goes for the missing tutorial.

I don't want to panic anyone here, currently there seem to be some bad spriti about this game floating around. Although the review wasn't good, it wasn't bad either. I will definatly pick it up on the 11th and will post some impressions and screenshots for you.

But one thing is for sure:
This game is NOT the "new" TTD, which some people (including myself) hoped for. Just the 90° should be too much of a limitation for the rail network fanatics out there. The best thing about TG over TTD is IMHO the much larger map size.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

There is already a debate about the gamestar review at the german forums...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 103er-Fan »

I know, just wanted to share it with the people on the TT forums :shock:
mintsauce82
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mintsauce82 »

My response-

i.) I've heard the music and i think it's great.
ii.) I don't want multiplayer.
iii.) I don't need a tutorial.
iv.) It doesn't sound like there's an issue with track building. If you get to plan where it goes and then have it built, it's more like real life.

This review doesn't dishearten me at all. It seems the reviewer was more concerned with minor details than the more important aspects of gameplay. A review score of 68% might prove to be roughly what the game gets in most magazines, but TT fans might still love it. We just don't know yet.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

I agree....

I don't need tutorial, because it is rather clear what to do
I don't need multiplayer
I don't give a s**t about music, I always turn it of anyway....
And that the grafics are from yesterday doesn't disturb me either. RT3 with its 3D grafics was so bad, I only played it for half an hour and my PC wasn't up the speed anyway.

Important for me is a good gameplay and a lot of vehicles and industries and so on... So therefore 68% of GameStar rating is plenty to me. :twisted:
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

If they gave it 68% cos of the graphics, then they must have given RT3 1%

The clean, detailed graphics of this game could beat any 3d tycoon game, anyday. (except for the upcoming rct 3d, which looks as smooth on a geforce 2)

Return to “Transport Giant”