Transport Giant Gold crashes computer

Talk about a game by JoWooD Productions, Transport Giant.
minecraftfan
Engineer
Engineer

Transport Giant Gold crashes computer

Post by minecraftfan »

I recently obtained Transport Giant Gold. However, when I open it up, the game just turns the screen black for a few seconds then the computer crashes. How can I fix this?

I have a windows 7 computer with little RAM. I have no idea of the specs but I do have a 3d card.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Giant Gold crashes computer

Post by Hyronymus »

minecraftfan wrote:I recently obtained Transport Giant Gold. However, when I open it up, the game just turns the screen black for a few seconds then the computer crashes. How can I fix this?

I have a windows 7 computer with little RAM. I have no idea of the specs but I do have a 3d card.
First of all I'm not aware of 3D video cards so I assume you mean a DirectX video card (else what made you put a 3D video card in a PC with litte RAM?). What I see on the system requirements is that it supports up to Windows Vista 32-bits. Are you trying to run it on a 64-bits Windows 7 platform?
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

If I remember, Transport Giant isn't Win7 friendly.

@Hyro - 3D cards are generally most if not all nVidia cards :P
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
TossIB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TossIB »

The Windows being 64-bits shouldn't be a problem, since it is well suited to execute 32-bits applications.
Try installing it to another location than "C:\Program Files (x86)", for example create and use the folder "C:\Games".

I don't know about Transport Giant specificly, but the reason for this is, that "C:\Program Files (x86)" enjoys special protection. Applications are not allowed to write or change any files within. Some games however really really want to do just that, for savegames, config files and whatnot. Using a custom folder with lenient rights management allows that. At least for The Settlers 4 (11 years old) that worked.
\°| Greetz, TossIB |°/
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I just wanted to post and confirm that Traffic Giant Gold Edition 2012 from Gamersgate runs absolutely fine on my Windows 7 64-Bit PC, even installed in the default directory. I would however check that first if you are having any problems as my PC seems a little unique in that it doesn't seem to suffer from the usual collywobbles that most Windows 7 64-Bit PCs do. (On forums for other games I have people have reported Windows 7 64-Bit issues where I have none).

Perhaps it makes a difference being Professional edition? *shrug* no idea really. I would also hazard a guess that it may be an nVidia card causing the trouble. I have had no end of trouble getting older games to work in the past when I had nVidia cards. ATi's seem to be far more backwards compatible. Case in point being Simcity 4, Blitzkrieg, Industry Giant II (built on a VERY similar engine, if not identical, to Traffic Giant) etc.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

SquireJames wrote:... AMD's seem to be far more backwards compatible...
Fixed that for you.
Last known as: Weirdy
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

SquireJames wrote:Perhaps it makes a difference being Professional edition? *shrug* no idea really.
There isn't that much technical difference between Windows versions, so it's probably not that. You never know, though. If it is something to do with graphics, you could try forcing it to run in software mode (disclaimer: I have never played this game, so I have no idea how it works).
SquireJames wrote:Case in point being Simcity 4, Blitzkrieg, Industry Giant II (built on a VERY similar engine, if not identical, to Traffic Giant) etc.
Well, SimCity 4 doesn't work properly on any CPU with more than one core, I've never heard about there being graphics issues.
SkeedR wrote:
SquireJames wrote:... AMDs seem to be far more backwards compatible...
Fixed that for you.
Fixed that for you.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Under my old nVidia cards, Simcity 4 wouldn't render correctly. It was something to do with the occlusion of vehicles and such as all the vehicles would flash green, and sometimes the buildings would randomly turn invisible (and the game would crash in short order). Never had a spot of trouble with it with an ATi, and as for it not working right under multi-core PCs, well mine is a Quad Core and it works fine :) The only crashes I get are when I inadvertently put a puzzle piece on a transit enabled station, but that's an acknowledged game bug.

Return to “Transport Giant”