Transport Giant - anyone ?

Talk about a game by JoWooD Productions, Transport Giant.
wilburt99
Tycoon
Tycoon

Transport Giant - anyone ?

Post by wilburt99 »

Transport Giant:
Anyone playing it ? Anyone enjoying it ? 8)
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Good one, and beautiful, lacking a bit of variety in citycars, and a bit too much blocky cities. Also, train selection is not the best, freight wagons stay the same for centuries! But enjoyable nonetheless. (Weren't it for the bad behaviour of my PC reseting itself when playing it)
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
Colonel_here
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Colonel_here »

I am actually thinking of finding the game and getting it, but not sure if it is good or any different from Locomotion
Away till December 26th, 2006
"Only a fool fights a battle he knows he can not win" - Ghengiz Khan
"The task of saving the lives of those who are sinking is the job of those who are sinking" - Ostap Bender
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

You can have mine
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

I think TG is good. Very pretty to look at. Sadly it has a crap interface and the signalling system is terrible. Once you get used to it though its not so bad. To me, its significantly better than Locomotion in terms of visuals. And what it lacks in gameplay I get from OpenTTD.

Id say TG was worth a go on, certainly if you're a locomotion player.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

well, i really don't share their enthusiasm. the gameplay is horrible, to say the least. and especially the train section, indeed. just a game with these looks and TTD-feel might just be brilliant. but hell.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Cappie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cappie »

I remember waiting for this game - hoping someone finally could make a game that got all that TTD has and then a bit more, but oh I got disappointed. Today I thought Id give it another try - but after 20 minuttes of playing I had to quit before Id destroy something.
I realise that what Im going to say now is probably not new to people who cares and reinventing the wheel is pointless - but I got some frustrations I have to let go. And I want to make sure no one that reads this threads go out to buy TG because they hope it got all TTD has and then some - because it simply doesnt.

The graphics are awesome, the industries seem cool (never played enough to say if they really are or not) and the passenger system is nice too. But the constructing is horrible - just horrible. I have no idea what their goals were, but making it simple clearly wasnt one of them. First of all, if you're building something and want to move the view a little you have to use your arrow keys - right clicking discards everything youve built since you pressed Enter. Doesnt matter if you hold it or not - adding a option in the menu for another cancel key wouldnt be too much work, I figure.

Next up is the railroad system - granted, I didnt play much with it. But theres a very simple reason I didnt - its just as horrible as the construction. I wanted to lay down a pretty straight track from station to station - after trying a bit and wondering why I couldnt build I finally found out what to do and I got the straight track going. But then almost at the end of the line I needed to change the direction a bit - just like 2 titles and then back straight, but the only possible way I could do this was first making a right curve and then a left curve. How on earth can could JoWood even think about making a game without diagonal railroads? Not to mention diagonal roads, which is one of the things thats just missing in TTD before its even better than it is.
I never got to play around with the signaling, but from what I could read on forums its as useless as anything else - now Im not a hardcore coder of any kind, but I really dont see why its so hard to make a signaling like TTD which is working absolutely awesome, but still is fairly simple. When ALL railroad has to be connected youd think that they wanted to encourage players to build up large networks rather than single tracks - agian I really dont get what they thought about.

One thing I liked was the different road vehicles - starting from horses to large trucks. I played the first campaign where you have to use a lot of horses to bring wood to a sawmill and then bring it out to different forts being built - that was all quite cool and I liked it a lot. However, there was yet another place where the game fails - the queue system for the stations is simply too bad, I dont see how you should ever bring all loading platforms thats possible to built in use when the wagons stops and waits for pretty much everything. I cant really describe it - but basically it felt like turning horses reserved the road way too far ahead, leaving horses waiting. The flow just werent there - one horse was waiting for another horse to turn and then other horse was waiting for a third one to turn, which all ended up with fairly long queues obviously. If something should make me keep playing TG it would be for the road vehicles I though, but when I saw how bad the station worked without that much stress compared to what Ive built in TTD I lost all faith in the game.

Generally the game has some potential but theres nothing new in it really and the things theyve taken from games like TTD is just not good enough. As I said the graphics are great but thats all good I can say about the game Im afraid. I really dont see why you should spend money on this when you can download oTTD for free. Apart from passenger/mail destinations, more industries and graphics (but really, graphics is just a side bonus for me at least - Im fine with what oTTD has. The gameplay is more important to me) theres nothing TG can offer you can oTTD cant as I see it - and these things are even in the works for oTTD.
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

Well said, i couldn't agree more. Now is the time to wait for something new, like the complixity of gaming from TTD mixed with the graphics of now. I think that there is really a market to get all these 'old' TTD-fans to go for a new game as long as its complex, realistic and graphicallall better then TTD, which seems like a challenge to most creators.

Perhaps they can learn a lot from Simcity, the transport system, the graphics and the fact that you can create your own buildings for in the game!

Anyway, just adding my two cents.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Cappie: You wasted your time with your post! You 'd better use that time playing OpenTTD :lol:
OK. Let us be serious: Everything you said is correct. Only vehicle graphics is good. I got gold edition (includes Australia), and I already played the 1st scenario. It was horrible to build a 100 horses with that horrible interface. I will play the rest scenarios for a break from OpenTTD and thats all. I hope to have vehicles there 'cause: no more horses please :evil:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Laurent
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Laurent »

I play it.
I've it.
I enjoy it.
I like it.

And yes, I've to much transport games :roll:
GG1FTW
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GG1FTW »

^^^^- Just a tip, not to be critical or anything, but I've does not stand for I have entirley. I've is a word used to abreviate something.

So you said " I've it" In which i belive you are trying to say I Have it.

The way you should say it is . I have it.

Examples of "I've" I've eaten that cake before. I've played transport giant and it really suxx. Etc

-Mike-
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I tried the demo and rather enjoyed it. the lack of faster vehicles overtaking slower vehicles though is a turn-off for me, plus the 6 steps in purchasing and scheduling a vehicle. I've only played with Horses so far, but if I could find the game I'd definitely be interested in trying it.

It looks good, and the gameplay, while annoying, isn't that bad. I'd like to play it further to see exactly what it's like.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Re:

Post by Raichase »

DanMacK wrote:I tried the demo and rather enjoyed it. the lack of faster vehicles overtaking slower vehicles though is a turn-off for me, plus the 6 steps in purchasing and scheduling a vehicle. I've only played with Horses so far, but if I could find the game I'd definitely be interested in trying it.

It looks good, and the gameplay, while annoying, isn't that bad. I'd like to play it further to see exactly what it's like.
As I value your opinion, if you DID enjoy it, I might be interested in getting it myself. If you ever get a copy, please tell us what you think Dan, as I'd be interested to read it :)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Giant - anyone ?

Post by Ben_K »

Its good, the graphics are really nice, but as Dan says the gameplay is terribly annoying. The problem I found is that if it was the only transport game Id played, I would love it. Sadly, I have TTD and TTD is so well designed in terms of gameplay that it makes all the others seem awkward in comparison.
AussieNightcrawler
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AussieNightcrawler »

Yeah I have it, play it sometimes, it is a good game, makes you "stop and think" before you do anything.

Some planning before hand helps a lot later on in the game...

One game save is now at the year 2140, i'm still building the network... :)

Edit: Well the year is 2148 to be corrected, here's a screenshot showing the map...

http://members.westnet.com.au/nightcrawler/TG_01.jpg
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

I remember all the hype of this game beofre it came out. checkingthe website daily for the pic of the day and new objects they would feature. pre ordering it... they when it finaly arrived... it was such a let down. no game play at all. next to impossible to build rail system... the trains would just drive through each other, you can only build one train line so they all had to connect, (unless you used an expolit that was patched as i recall) there was no signaling anything i gave up and shelved it after one night. i remember in the original hints or faq it made a point to say "sorry this is not ttdx, dont play it like it is", that made me laugh

then the patch came out to try and save the game with signals and updates (should we say to make it closer to a finnished game). i downloaded it and tryed again. i was still frustrated. and gave up after a few days... then the next patch.. same... then they vanish.

It is visually stunning. one of the sexiest looking tans-sim looking games out there probably second to sim city4 (not really a trans-sim but it tries) or Atrain-HX. I just find it unplayable and wish i had not spent my money on it. i only just finally unistalled it for the HD space (i guess i was hoping for some sort of mirical patch?).. the fact that as soon as the game hit the street the develpers dissapear, the forum admins vanish, all information and all game support just stops says a lot. the game was obviously unfinnished and never will be (then again so is Locomotion to an extent). it is like they went bankrupt making it and the devloper pushed out what had. plus never being relased in the states did not help it any.

Someone said the australian add-on was a differant devolpoment team and publisher that had the leftovers and that jowood purchased it after it was done.. i dont know if that is true or not anymore, it has been a few years. i never picked it up.

i guess if you can find this game for $5 somewhere and have it burning in your pocket, give it a shot. but be warned, you might wish you had that $5 for starbucks or some Mc'Donalds...

i guess i was let down by a game that had such potential. before release they were taking public sugestions, interactive with community for building gameplay and game objects, it looked like it could have been the perfect game ttdx with better then lomo looks.... then they never finnished it and dissapear...

~sigh~

I wish i could be more positive, but i cant.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!

Return to “Transport Giant”