new to simutrans..

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
omgits3am
Engineer
Engineer

new to simutrans..

Post by omgits3am »

hello fellow transport addicts :) i have been playing ttd and openttd for about 10 yrs now and have recently tried other transport games such as transport giant and locomotion, and just today i tried simutrans. i like the small game size and relativly intuitive learning curve of the game, however there is one aspect of the game which has also plagued early windows versions of ttd or ttdpatch. the game music is in midi format, and it seems that the game must use a non native midi player or midi plugin to play the music, and each time a new song begins, the whole game slows down or nearly freezes until the song has begun and then the game starts moving again. openttd seems to have cured this music glitch/problem..i'm not sure how it has accomplished the smooth music interface, but i think that whoever designed the music/sound interface for openttd should share some programing secrets with other game programers so that all of the transport game 'knock-offs' can have equally smooth game engines :) so far for me, openttd seems to be at the top of the transport simulator mountain, and even chris sawyer's newest releases - eg - locomotion, fall very short of the mark compared to the fine programing skills of the openttd team :)
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: new to simutrans..

Post by prissi »

The freezing will occur only on Linux, and this is a bug of SDL_mixer with some dound drivers. Using a clean multi-platform approach there is very little one can do about this.

Moreover MIDI sound on Windows was programmed by Owen, who did the same also for OpenTTD. THus I suppose they are quite similar in this aspect.
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The MCI MIDI engine on Windows XP and higher (possibly Windows 2000 too) has some kind of a delay when it starts to play a MIDI file, possibly due to its use of DirectMusic. OpenTTD got around this by creating a separate thread for the MIDI functions to execute in, so they don't hold up the game.

I have no idea why there may be such problems on Linux, those are evidently the result of a different problem.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

SDL_mixer on Linux is broken with many hardwares. Maybe it is the same problem, it may render the sound int he calling thread instead doing real threading. Never looked at the source code of SDL_mixer though. It does also not happen with my installation unless no soundfonts is installed (but then also no midi is played ... )
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com

Return to “Simutrans”