Airplane

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
ashley26ph2002
Tycoon
Tycoon

Airplane

Post by ashley26ph2002 »

why does Simutrans have plane in logo whereas in the game have no plane at all
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Airplane

Post by Stylesjl »

ashley26ph2002 wrote:why does Simutrans have plane in logo whereas in the game have no plane at all

because the plane feature is not developed.....yet
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

ashley26ph2002 wrote:why does Simutrans have plane in logo whereas in the game have no plane at all
The official logo is currently a small steam engine with two passenger waggons. No planes in there.

Formerly I've used a logo which was made by Seth C. Triggs. It shows airplanes. But because this only caused confusion I've replaced it many month ago by the small train.

There is an official statement about when airplanes will be included:
http://www.simugraph.com/forum/viewtopi ... d=2&t_id=1

But to be honest: noone of the current programmers seems to be keen on working on airplanes, so I guess Simutrans will not have airplanes for quite a long time. To be precise: it's not the airplanes, but the airports that are difficult. In Simutrans everything is built from segments, but programming an airport where players can build several runways in arbitrary directions and a set of hangars just seems to be too difficult.

So we will try things that promise easier progress first, like trams or subways, monorail, maglev and such.

Maybe I'll include helicopters and heliports, becuase heliports are quite easy, but somehow I don't think they make much sense.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Hajo wrote:In Simutrans everything is built from segments, but programming an airport where players can build several runways in arbitrary directions and a set of hangars just seems to be too difficult.
That would be too cool indeed but I think that's somewhat too, Hajo. Wouldn't it be neat just to be able to choose between 4 runways, N, E, S and W? That alone is so much an improvement from what we (most of us at least) are used to have in TTD.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

Hyronymus wrote:
Hajo wrote:In Simutrans everything is built from segments, but programming an airport where players can build several runways in arbitrary directions and a set of hangars just seems to be too difficult.
That would be too cool indeed but I think that's somewhat too, Hajo. Wouldn't it be neat just to be able to choose between 4 runways, N, E, S and W? That alone is so much an improvement from what we (most of us at least) are used to have in TTD.
I agree that it will be a great improvement. ATM Simutrans is lacking a concept for movement of the planes on ground (i.e. from runway to hangar and back) - in general there is no proper concept for vehicle movement inside stations yet. That's my main concern.

Also there are quite a lot of unfinished things in Simutrans, i.e. the powerlines, which should be completed first before we start something new.
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Stylesjl »

make sure when you do the airports that they can hold a LOT of congestion :wink:
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Just make Sim City 2000 style airports: Suddenly a plane appears at the runway and takes off. :)
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G4S wrote:Just make Sim City 2000 style airports: Suddenly a plane appears at the runway and takes off. :)
Yes, that'd be easy. But I'm afraid a lot of players wouldn't like such airports :(
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hajo wrote:Yes, that'd be easy. But I'm afraid a lot of players wouldn't like such airports :(
You should do like Chris, get the trains to act very good and then worry about the other things :roll:

I'm not blaming you, from what I've seen you have a very good (OMG, extremely good) game going
You can even get it on the market, I think it will be better than RT3 or maybe TG (probably)
but
NO game has ever had all 4 types of transport good, no, not even TT

You have the power to make the best game ever, I'm not talking about graphics , but
Seriously, what is the problem with TT ??? trucks and busses, planes and ships where just chucked in

I haven't played simutrans yet, I've looked at vlakosim , Rt3 and TG
But I want a game that has all types of transport

:roll: wishfull thinking perhaps
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
ashley26ph2002
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ashley26ph2002 »

does programming of TTD same as Simutrans
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

completly diffirent
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
ashley26ph2002
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ashley26ph2002 »

what programming languages is used for TTD and Simutrans
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

C

...And then it tells me to enter a message! I DID!
<!-- End Of Post !-->
ashley26ph2002
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ashley26ph2002 »

C Language or C++
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

BobXP, it has to be at least 2 letters.

Ashley: TTD in assembly language, I believe Simutrans is it C++
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
ashley26ph2002
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ashley26ph2002 »

so very intelligent the one who makes TTD in Assembly Language
it is very difficult to type in Assembly
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

Lilman424 wrote:I believe Simutrans is it C++
The graphics routines are written in C, the other code is C++.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

spaceman-spiff wrote:
Hajo wrote:Yes, that'd be easy. But I'm afraid a lot of players wouldn't like such airports :(
You should do like Chris, get the trains to act very good and then worry about the other things :roll:

I'm not blaming you, from what I've seen you have a very good (OMG, extremely good) game going
You can even get it on the market, I think it will be better than RT3 or maybe TG (probably)
I visited the TG forums. I'm wondering why they decided to use a flat map, only 4 directions for tracks and passengers without real destinations.

TG surely looks fantastic. I admire their graphics. But I don't understand why they decide to create a game that is simpler than i.e. TTD which was developed so many years ago.

Simutrans surely can't beat TG in regard to the graphics. But maybe in some other aspects.

RT3, I've only seen a few screenshots yet, I can't comment on that.

Overall I think Peter Dobrovkas 3DTT (he's working on it again) has the biggest potential to supersede TTD+Patch. Until it's finished TTD+Patch is IMO the one that other transport simulations have to beat.

Since the patch is developed continuously and new features are added very frequently, it's very hard to be better. There are only very few areas in which Simutrans has an advantage, but many more in which the Patch offers better gameplay.
spaceman-spiff wrote: but
NO game has ever had all 4 types of transport good, no, not even TT

You have the power to make the best game ever, I'm not talking about graphics , but
Seriously, what is the problem with TT ??? trucks and busses, planes and ships where just chucked in

I haven't played simutrans yet, I've looked at vlakosim , Rt3 and TG
But I want a game that has all types of transport

:roll: wishfull thinking perhaps
Simutrans has been developed since 1997. Currently we have trains, trucks and ships which are basically working, but with a different pathfinding system than TTD. Opinions are very divided on the pathfinding, some like it, some don't.

There are lots of enhancement requests pending:
http://www.simugraph.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2

... and even more somwhere in a big heap of development notes on my desk.

To have airplanes and airports is just one of them. There are a lot of ideas how to improve the existing transport system and general gameplay of Simutrans. I think it's better to improve the existing system before starting something new - airplanes require a lot of new code.

In regard to the long timespan of past development (1997 - 2003) and the progress that we made over that time, I don't think airplanes will be included soon. I mean I'm pretty sure we won't try to include airplanes this year and I wouldn't promise them for next year.

ATM bugfixes have first priority, the 0.82.3exp release was quite buggy :(

Then I'm working on a new feature that I've called artificial slopes:

The support walls for the slopes will get some textures in the final version, this is just a preview.

TTDPatch added something similar to TTD. I think it's a very nice idea and try to include a slightly expanded version into Simutrans. I guess adapting the trackbuilding and vehicle pathfinding code to the artificial slopes will keep me busy the next weeks.

Last but not least, I'm not really convinced that airplanes really add much to a transport game. They are the least challenging type of transport. You just place a few airports and you're basically done - no comparison to the challenge of building nice railroad networks.

Since I think the other types of transport are more interesting, I'll most likely work on them first and most fo the time.

Something *I* would like to add is subways - like trams but below ground. A second map layer for the player to build subway railroad tracks with links between the layers.

ATM this is just an idea, but some day I hope to get it done.

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

NICE :mrgreen: :!:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hajo wrote:blabla
Hajo
First of all, I admire your work, I think your game is very good and your team is too
Second, I think no game has ever been TT2
I have looked at transport giant, vlakosim, RT3 and simutrans

Nothing so far can touch transport tycoon with the patch !!!!

So if you can master all 4 types of vehicles I will try your game (and probably be addicted)
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future

Return to “Simutrans”