MAKEOVER!

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

MAKEOVER!

Post by BobXP »

(view attachments)

More to come!
Attachments
Options window
Options window
options.PNG (4.98 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
Depot window
Depot window
depot.PNG (7.33 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
Last edited by BobXP on 25 Jun 2003 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

is it developing version or your creation ?
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Made it in MSPaint!!!!!!! Unbelievable isn't it? Well I did!
<!-- End Of Post !-->
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I thought so ... anyway in Simutrans I miss to TTD train view in depot !
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

And now an explanation of the new depot window.

The Vehicle Make Name combo box lists available vehicle makes, e.g. H-Trans was one that I remember. Below are the base stats for vehicles made by the selected company. Right at the bottom are individual vehicle stats, either + or -. This is added or subtracted to the relavent base stat to get the individual vehicle's stat.

Clicking on a vehicle on the right will buy one and put it in the lower left area, that big box. Drag vehicles from this box to one of the lines above, to assemble a train. Clicking a arrow on a line, or an individual vehicle that's in the box but not on a line will select it.

Clicking the Start button when a line is selected will start that train, provided it has an engine and schedule.

Clicking the Schedule button when a line is selected will put a schedule for that train.

Clicking the Sell button when either a line or vehicle is selected will sell the train or vehicle (heh, you get to sell whole trains with two clicks! :P )

The big box on the top left shows the location of the depot and if you click it it takes you to the depot.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
mikeya
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mikeya »

Hmm, I don't really understand the purpose of this post but well that will be me then..
Mike,
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: MAKEOVER!

Post by Hajo »

BobXP wrote:(view attachments)

[New UIs]

More to come!

Hi,

Volker Meyer started to rework the depot window a few months ago. He nearly finished the new depot window. Your proposal arrived at a very unlucky moment. I doubt Volker will go back and start all over.

Maybe the new depot window will please you. In the Simutrans group at yahoo, there is a preview 0.82.pre1 that includes the new depot window. This was released about two weeks ago to gather faeedback. ATM Volker is back polishing and enhancing the window according to the feedback that we got.

TTD fans will most likely experience the new depot window to be very strange, I'm afraid. Volker never played TTD, so he made up something completely new. It includes all needed functionality, but has a much more abstract view. Well ...

c.u.
Hajo

PS: in general UI coding in Simutrans is very time consuming. Thus most UIs are very minimalistic, the most simple thing that provides the required functionality. The reason for this is that to keep Simutrans portable (Linux, Windows, BeOS are currently supported) we did not use the system UI libryries but selfmade librries. The drawback is that there are no UI building tools, but everything must be coded - thus we got portability, but some overhead in creation difficulty.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Hi Hajo
Hajo wrote: PS: in general UI coding in Simutrans is very time consuming. Thus most UIs are very minimalistic, the most simple thing that provides the required functionality. The reason for this is that to keep Simutrans portable (Linux, Windows, BeOS are currently supported) we did not use the system UI libryries but selfmade librries. The drawback is that there are no UI building tools, but everything must be coded - thus we got portability, but some overhead in creation difficulty.
Hmm, I have written a not very complete GUI System in VB with DD,
but it should be possible to make a dev friendly GUI in C++.
Ok I am using very OO approach to GUI, but I think it could be done with pointers too:

Code: Select all

CreateWindow "WinHaupt", "Desktop", "Test Start Menu", ScreenX \ 2 - 175, ScreenY - 120, 350, 80
    CreateButton "WinHauptEinstell", "WinHaupt", "Settings...", 125, 50, 100, 20
    CreateButton "WinHauptEnde", "WinHaupt", "Exit", 235, 50, 100, 20
    CreateLabel "WinHauptLabel", "WinHaupt", "Please choose:", 17, 25, 200, 25
    GUIObjects("WinHaupt").Visible = True

(c) 2000-2003 Oskar Eisemuth
(My GUI uses only the surface function and the 2d draw functions of DirectDraw, there should be functions for that in SDL too :D )

TTD uses most user interacting gui elements as predefined functions too.
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Hajo wrote:...Volker Meyer started to rework the depot window a few months ago. He nearly finished the new depot window. Your proposal arrived at a very unlucky moment. I doubt Volker will go back and start all over...
Screenshot plz?
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

BobXP wrote:
Hajo wrote:...Volker Meyer started to rework the depot window a few months ago. He nearly finished the new depot window. Your proposal arrived at a very unlucky moment. I doubt Volker will go back and start all over...
Screenshot plz?
You could get the 0.82.pre2 from the Yahoo Simutrans group and try it in the game.

If I have some free time, I'll make a screenshot.
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Well, I think I'll just stick to the old Simutrans then ;)

First because I'm used to the old style, and second because it's a download off yahoo groupss rathere than a site.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

BobXP wrote:Well, I think I'll just stick to the old Simutrans then ;)

First because I'm used to the old style, and second because it's a download off yahoo groupss rathere than a site.
it is bad habit to stay with 'old' because you used to ... so how it would be if the same idea has got Josef or someone else .... remember new version, new possibilites, and very often new, better user interface :!: :wink:
Markus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Markus »

Hajo wrote:
BobXP wrote:
Screenshot plz?
You could get the 0.82.pre2 from the Yahoo Simutrans group and try it in the game.

I have uploaded some screenshots to http://www.simutrans-tips.com.

There are two screenshots.

This screenshot is from the new 128x128 imageset:
http://www.simutrans-tips.com/en/screen ... hoto_6.htm

The second from the official imageset:
http://www.simutrans-tips.com/en/screen ... hoto_7.htm

bye,
Markus
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

WHOA !!! Noone will force me to use other set than 128x128 !!! GREAT JOB !!! Whoever created this !! :shock: :shock:
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

IDEA :idea:

is it possible to move cursor fluently not so 'jumping' ??
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Markus wrote:
Hajo wrote:
BobXP wrote: Screenshot plz?

I have uploaded some screenshots to http://www.simutrans-tips.com.

There are two screenshots.

This screenshot is from the new 128x128 imageset:
http://www.simutrans-tips.com/en/screen ... hoto_6.htm

The second from the official imageset:
http://www.simutrans-tips.com/en/screen ... hoto_7.htm

bye,
Markus
Oh...My...God...

I sure do prefer the old one. :?
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:WHOA !!! Noone will force me to use other set than 128x128 !!! GREAT JOB !!! Whoever created this !! :shock: :shock:
The 128x128 set is created by the Simutrans painters. Some time ago we decided to migrate from 64x64 to 128x128 pixel images. This is still work in progress, but it's the official roadmap for Simutrans.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:IDEA :idea:

is it possible to move cursor fluently not so 'jumping' ??
Do you mean the mouse pointer? Or the landscape pointer?
Also, which Simutrans version are you using and which OS?

--
The landscape pointer hops from square to square or grid to grid (depending on the selected tool). This is desired.

The mouse pointer should move quite nicely, at least in Simutrans versions that use the SDL library.

OTOH if you have a slow computer and only little ram, the mouse pointer movements gets jumpy ...

Return to “Simutrans”