New to Simutrans...

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
coralleane
Engineer
Engineer

New to Simutrans...

Post by coralleane »

I d/led the game a couple of days ago, and am finding it hard to get the hang of - in particular, I'm really *not* comprehending the railway system. I looked through the help file on the site, but didn't really find it to be much help. It might just be one of those things I need to keep practising, but does anyone have any tips?

~Coralie
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Just saying hello
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to Simutrans...

Post by orudge »

coralleane wrote:I d/led the game a couple of days ago, and am finding it hard to get the hang of - in particular, I'm really *not* comprehending the railway system. I looked through the help file on the site, but didn't really find it to be much help. It might just be one of those things I need to keep practising, but does anyone have any tips?
What can't you do? Are you able to create a line from A to B, build two stations, and a depot, or do you need help with that? Simutrans Tips may be able to help you out.
coralleane
Engineer
Engineer

Post by coralleane »

I find it quite hard to design a railway that is (sucessfully) used by more than one train - that said, I started to have a breakthrough last night and got a smallish network going. I think this is a practise, practise, practise case. :) The similarities to TTDX are so many that my brain tends to forget that this *isn't* TTDX, and consequently mucks things up. :)

Also, is there anyway to scroll the map apart from the right mouse button and the numberpad? I'm playing on a laptop which has no numberpad, and only has a touchpad, which (I find) is quite difficult to right-drag with.

~Coralie
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Re: scrolling - unfortunately, not as far as I know.

Simutrans Tips is quite a good site, and indeed, it was because of that site I created this forum (Markus asked me if I would host a forum for his site, so I made it a general Simutrans forum).
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

coralleane wrote: Also, is there anyway to scroll the map apart from the right mouse button and the numberpad? I'm playing on a laptop which has no numberpad, and only has a touchpad, which (I find) is quite difficult to right-drag with.
~Coralie
I'm not sure if this helps:

The keys 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9 (top row of keyboard usually) work like the numeric keypad and can be used to scroll the map. But it is very awkward to remember the directions.

c.u.
Hajo

PS: I think I'll expand the keyboard handling to recognise the cursor keys and allow to scroll the map by using them.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

coralleane wrote:I find it quite hard to design a railway that is (sucessfully) used by more than one train - that said, I started to have a breakthrough last night and got a smallish network going. I think this is a practise, practise, practise case. :) The similarities to TTDX are so many that my brain tends to forget that this *isn't* TTDX, and consequently mucks things up. :)

~Coralie
Maybe theese links can help, too:

http://www.simugraph.com/forum/viewtopi ... d=6&t_id=5

The screenshots are old, but two track sections still work like this. Please note the usage of one-way signals, two-way signals won't work:

http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/manu ... build.html
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Hajo wrote:
coralleane wrote: Also, is there anyway to scroll the map apart from the right mouse button and the numberpad? I'm playing on a laptop which has no numberpad, and only has a touchpad, which (I find) is quite difficult to right-drag with.
~Coralie
I'm not sure if this helps:

The keys 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9 (top row of keyboard usually) work like the numeric keypad and can be used to scroll the map. But it is very awkward to remember the directions.

c.u.
Hajo

PS: I think I'll expand the keyboard handling to recognise the cursor keys and allow to scroll the map by using them.
Um, I think the cursor keys should scroll it, they behave like the numberpad when i made a sign and pressed the left cursor key it game me a 4.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

BobXP wrote: Um, I think the cursor keys should scroll it, they behave like the numberpad when i made a sign and pressed the left cursor key it game me a 4.
This was introduced with 0.81.33exp first. Former versions ignored the curos keys completly.
c.u.
Hajo

Return to “Simutrans”