New Simutrans forum

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

New Simutrans forum

Post by orudge »

This forum is for the discussion of Simutrans, by Hansjörg Malthaner. The usual Transport Tycoon Forums rules apply, which can be read in the News forum.

Enjoy!
Last edited by orudge on 11 Apr 2003 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Cool, but is there that much need for a forum?
So far I've only seen one significant thread about the game as long as I've been here.

Best move that one here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

This was actually at the request of someone from the Simutrans community, who wanted a forum for their site. I decided to make it a general Simutrans forum too.
CombatGold1
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CombatGold1 »

i dont see a point, this will probably be my only post here :D
Thanks,
Adam Reece.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Well if the Simutrans people requested it, then I suppose they'll all come here, so there will be enough posts.
There isn't much posting in the TE forum either.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

This forum won't be flooding with posts like the others, it may only have a few posts a week - I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

good idea, more members, hehe
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

good to have separate section ...
I rarely play Simutrans, but last days often
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

Well wha exactly are the minimum system requirements for simutran? I tried once and couldn't get it working so I went back to tt :roll: I'd probably try i again but I can't be bothered (no offense hajo).
Things to do:
1) Bend
2) Cheese It
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, the Simutrans web site currently says:

Pentium II 266Mhz or better, 32 MB Ram, 8 MB free space on HD, 16 Bit SVGA graphics or better

However, more is better, and you'll find the game a lot faster and more responsive with a faster processor or more memory.
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

Ohh nice, well maybe I'll try again sometime later i don't think 1:15am is the right time :roll:
Things to do:
1) Bend
2) Cheese It
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

CombatGold1 wrote:i dont see a point, this will probably be my only post here :D
Phew. This time, let it be true! :)
I'm lost in space. Visiting mother earth once in a while.
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

But I must say I support a forum here. If the regulars at groups.yahoo.com come over here, there will be a bit more than one post a week. Believe me.

But do a forum HAVE to have a lot of traffic? As long as it's informative threads and serious discussions, I'll be here.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Those who don't play simutrans should keep their nose out of this forum then
I wouldn't like topics like, "which is the best transport game"
anaconda
Chairman
Chairman

Post by anaconda »

No, let those stick to general. I don't want them in the TT general forums either.

Some games are just hard to beat. TTdx is one of them. The released beta of 3dtt was close, a newer version could be better. Simutrans has learned from the mistakes that was done in ttdx, and added all the features the players miss in ttdx. That's why every game has it's own purpose, it's own community. Some have more players than others. We must accept that.
CombatGold1
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CombatGold1 »

anaconda wrote:
CombatGold1 wrote:i dont see a point, this will probably be my only post here :D
you can shove that post where the sun dont shine X(
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

are you refering to the dark side of the moon??
Last edited by GoneWacko on 14 Apr 2003 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Probably not. I find it difficult to put posts on good quality vinyl.
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

CombatGold1 wrote:
anaconda wrote:
you can shove that post where the sun dont shine X(
You broke your promise :evil:
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

sultana wrote:Well wha exactly are the minimum system requirements for simutran? I tried once and couldn't get it working so I went back to tt :roll: I'd probably try i again but I can't be bothered (no offense hajo).
There have been success stories that people got Simutrans running on a Pentium 100 and even a Pentium 75.

Simutrans won't run on a 486. It uses some instructions that are only available on Pentium class processors.

There is no real limit I think. The display just mutates to a slideshow and the program gets increasingly unresponsive the slower the system is.

I know there are some systems where Simutrans just won't run. In some cases we could trace that back to sound card problems. In that case the -nosound and -nomidi switches will get it running, without sound and music, 'though. In some other cases there seem to be keyboard or mouse incompatibilites, so that you cannot leave the intro screen because no keypress or mouseclick is recognized. In that case you're out of luck.

Such problems are relatively rare, I guess about 1 in 50 or even less but they do exist.

For current Simutrans versions (0.81.29exp) I'd recommend a 400Mhz processor and at least 48MB ram to play the standarad map size with a few hundred vehicles. Simutrans indeed needs significantly more CPU power and memory than TTD does (I'm not sure about the patch, some of the switches require more CPU time than unpatched TTD, too, but I think overall TTD will still be less demanding).

In Simutrans you can choose a map size. Smaller maps need less memory. Also there are some config settings and command line options to turn off unneded things (i.e. turn off animated ground, pedestrians display etc). So you can try to configure it for your system - i.e. those who have fast computers turn all the gimmicks on, the others probably want to turn most of them off.

If you start a new map, make sure not to take the largest one you PC can handle. Each vehicle that you add will need a little bit of memory and CPU time. Travelling passengers need CPU time, too, due do the pathfinding they do .. i.e. to determine where to switch from one vehicle to another to get to their destination. In really large games, the pathfinding of passengrs is the most CPU intenive task. Start small, let there be space to grow :)

For more details please take a look at the readme.txt that is included with the archive, and the simuconf.tab file (it's a text file, containing some config settings).

Kind regards,
Hajo

Return to “Simutrans”