car dealer

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

car dealer

Post by jgf »

The best scenario I've played so far was supplying raw materials to a steel mill and refinery, hauling their products to an auto assembly plant, and hauling the cars to a car dealer. All well and good except ...the car dealer would apparently only handle 150 cars; once he had about 200 everything ground to a halt. So for four or five weeks I'd make a tidy profit then for several weeks I'd pay massive maintenance costs with no income while all my trains sat there not even loading. Eventually (fast forward the game for four years) my cash assets stabilized at about 75,000, during the good times they would go to about 100,000, then drop to 50,000.

So, is there a way to get the car dealer to accept more cars? (I thought of creating a coal route to a power plant and delivering electricity to the dealer ...but couldn't build up anough funds to try.)
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Apart from the power supply to the car dealer, there is no other choices. Maybe deliver another car dealer ...
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

I didn't know if supplying electricity to the dealer would have an effect (could find nothing in the docs about this) but didn't have the funds to experiment (the nearest power plant was halfway across the map). In this particular scenario there was only the one car dealer; in fact there was only one of each thing relating to this industrial line-up, though there were power plants and coal mines scattered elswhere on the map.

Actually, out of all the random maps I've played and discarded only two have contained anything except coal mines, oil fields, power plants, city dumps, and waste incinerators.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

You can set city markets to a value!=0 and then the related industry chains are built. Otherwise, city industries will built as soon as your city passed 2000, 4000, 8000, .... inhabitants.

Supplying electricity double the production (and thus consumption), given that the supply is 100% of the time. However, a power station wil electricity demand also consumers fuel with double consumption.
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

Will supplying power to a town have any effect? I have one scenario now where I'm doing nothing but supplying coal to power stations then sending the power back to the coal mines (there are no other industries). After several years the power stations periodically reach their coal capacity and everything stops running for a couple of months. Tried adding storage to the power plants to catch the surplus but they won't use it.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

Towns don't care about electricity.

If you feel like doubling the consumption of your power plants add more transformers to them, even if the power is not supplied, the consumption will be doubled.

But hey, why don't you invest on a passenger network to make your cities grow and create new industry chains? That way, the addition of new transformers has a sense, to supply the new industries.

Remember, 3 industries per transformer
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

Raven wrote:...
But hey, why don't you invest on a passenger network to make your cities grow and create new industry chains? That way, the addition of new transformers has a sense, to supply the new industries.

Remember, 3 industries per transformer
So far I've not been able to make a dime transporting passengers. I've covered a town with bus stops and run several routes to nearby towns and industries, and still have 80% of passengers shown as "no route". After losing money on each vehicle for three or four years I just sell them off and build more coal trains.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

With passengers, you should try to wait for maximum load. When you are in the schedule window, you can click on the stop and set a loading level. If it is 75% in at least one stop your vehicles should earn a plus, even with passengers.

Return to “Simutrans”