SimuTTD

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

SimuTTD

Post by prissi »

This is an interim release, which many original graphics already replaced by graphics I was offered to used. (OTTD could look the same, if somebody just replaced all those images in tgr* ... ) All houses are either by Zimmlock or Caelan, see the copyright note in the game.

Since the last revision, some important changes came. Most important for TTD players are the choose signs for trucks resp. the choose signals for trains. If a train or truck passes such a sign, and its next stops is not a waypoint, it will try to find a free route to the next free stop (and in case of train also reserve a route to this stop). If none found, it will wait in front of the signal/sign. Using these signs TTD-like station designs are maybe making more sense in simuTTD.

http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~prissi/ ... 8-09-2.zip
Attachments
simscr04.png
simscr04.png (318.71 KiB) Viewed 8992 times
rileyk
Engineer
Engineer

passenger generation

Post by rileyk »

I notice that you can't adjust the passenger generation, as you can in regular simutrans is this intentional.
Riley
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

why you can't? Editing config/simuconf.tab and passenger_factor=16 (or a high value for higher passenger generation) should work.

But I assume a misunderstanding on my part.
rileyk
Engineer
Engineer

Passenger generation

Post by rileyk »

That line isn't in the simuconftab file. If I add it in there will it work okay.
Thank You,
Riley
Mesh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mesh »

Hey people, 1st post here, looks a cool game, but nothing like TT! :)
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

nice they use my tileset :)
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

And my church, the square and windmill too! I would have liked to be consulted first anyway...But its good to see them in a game!
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Actually, I am pretty sure, I asked you, but maybe about a half year ago. Futhermore, if you click on the church or the windmill it will state your copyright ... a feature I really miss in OTTD.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The newgrf spec allows for custom texts do be displayed when querying a town building.

These texts can contain anything, including copyright info.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

Well in any case its ok if you use them (of course with copyright) They look quite good there! Are the graphics of TTD Patch/openTTD easy to incorporate, because i might have a nice new station for you, if you like that. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=23638 You have permission to use them.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

I think I will use them, since I need to replace the original graphics anyway to make it more legal (and nice than the original). However, just in case you wondered about the system of graphics:

The Simutrans system is very easy to compile, compared to grf.
It is compiled from 64x64 images with a certain background which becomes transparent, other becomes player color or glowing night colors).

These will then paked into a *.pak file (which is not reversable) by the makeobj program. More extensively it is described in the wiki http://wiki.simutrans.com

I think, such a simple system could improve the motivation of artists to see their objects in a game. At least until a grf could be made. Of course, some things are not working, but still automatic alignment to roads/stops, or animation does, so for complex behaviour GRF is better.

--------------------
Obj=building
Name=FreightTrainStop
# must be 1*1
Dims=1,1,2
NoInfo=1
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.0.0
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.0.1
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.0.2
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.0.3
icon=> ttd-station.0.4
cursor=ttd-station.0.5
--------------------
Obj=building
Name=TrainStop
# must be 1*1
Dims=1,1,2
NoInfo=1
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.1.0
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.1.1
FrontImage[0][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.1.2
FrontImage[1][0][0][0][0]=ttd-station.1.3
icon=> ttd-station.1.4
cursor=ttd-station.1.5
--------------------

To convert TTD to Simutrans, I just use two matching palette files, one for the TTD palette and then I can maintain the indices and switch to SimuTTD paltte (even though internal it is using 15 Bits).
Attachments
TTDX-Station as used for Simutrans
TTDX-Station as used for Simutrans
ttd-station.png (7.43 KiB) Viewed 7208 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

prissi wrote:I think I will use them, since I need to replace the original graphics anyway to make it more legal (and nice than the original). However, just in case you wondered about the system of graphics:
Some GRF sets has a GPL license or other free licenses (such BSD, MIT, Creative Commons BY...) There is one:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/
http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/IndStations_Readme.htm
The Jappan set and generic stations set has the same license.
http://www.as-st.com/ttd/
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

maquinista wrote:other free licenses (such as ... Creative Commons BY...)
ObPetPeeve: The CC licenses are not free licenses.

They have, in fact, been rejected by the OSI, due to convoluted language in the "by" clause that the lawyers have determined evaluates to "The copyright holder may suppress the the distribution of any modified version of the copyrighted work, for any reason, or even for no reason at all." This remains the case even if a SA clause is present.

I'm afraid my Google-fu is not strong enough to find the official version of this discussion, though. It originally applied to the 2.0 licenses, but the same language appears in the 2.5 licenses.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Simutrans”