SimuTrans

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Does 'it' file have any extension ???
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
spy_force 1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by spy_force 1 »

It says it is a tab file. Does it matter if I have xp?
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:Does 'it' file have any extension ???
.tab

(== translation 'tab'le)

c.u.
Hajo
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

spy_force 1 wrote:It says it is a tab file. Does it matter if I have xp?
AFAICT, Simutran works equally well on all Windows versions since 95.

The .tab files are actually text files, but they use Unix style newlines.

c.u.
Hajo
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

A nice example of a complex transport network

Post by Hajo »

Hi,

after all the complaints how restricted the building options of Simutrans are, I want to provide a counter example. Seth C. Triggs, one of the beta testers, sent me a saved game with a really complex transportation network. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/data/galtisland.zip

(He used a 128x128 map for the test, but Simutrans can use maps up to 640x640 sqaures, this is more than 6 times the area of a TTD map.)

IMO that game is a impressive demostration what can be done with Simutrans.

This saved game was made for Simutrans 0.81.19exp which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.simutrans.de/en/download.html

c.u.
Hajo

PS: one version of the 3x2 stadium graphics are broken in the 0.81.19exp image set.
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

looks nice but it seems that there a lot of stations not used, and it looks like each route has only one train, isn't much efficient I think
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

gryvix wrote:looks nice but it seems that there a lot of stations not used, and it looks like each route has only one train, isn't much efficient I think
Feel free to build a better network :)
The programming work doesn't leave much time for playing, so I have to rely on what I get from players and testers. If you send me a nice saved game I'll happily put it online. Seth' game is the best I got for 0.81.19exp so far.

Simutrans is not limited to one train per route so I guess it was design decision of Seth to do it this way. Aynways, feel free to create a better transport net :)

c.u.
Hajo
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

How do you build power-lines, like the ones Seth has built?

Or do they just show up if you play long enough?
G-Klav

Note: my avatar is best viewed with the 'silver' scheme on the forums.
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

I have also tried simutrans, works fine under Linux :)
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G-Klav wrote:How do you build power-lines, like the ones Seth has built?

Or do they just show up if you play long enough?
Actually the powerlines are just too buggy to be officially included. Seth is a long time beta tester so he knows how to use all the hidden or unfinished things :)

The powerlines are an unfinished and very buggy inofficial feature. I'll explain how to play with them, but I discourage to really use them. The planned official implementation will be very different from the current solution - in terms of program code.

Powerlines are built similar to roads or railroads. The hotkey 'l' triggers the powerline building mode. Just click start and end of the desired connection and Simutrans will build it. (Note: there are no graphics for uphill, downhill road/rail crossing or such for powerlines - it will most likely only work on plain areas. And you can destroy lost of things by building powerlines over/through/into them. Be careful, this is really unfinished work.).

Electrical power is consumed by factories. They need a transformer station on a adjacent square to accept electrical power. The transformer station building tool can be activated with hotkey 'g' - transformer station can only be placed on sqaures directly adjacent to a factory.

Some power station have a pylon at their right side. Start a powerline adjacent to such a pylon to get it connected to that power station. Then continue the line to a sqaure adjacent of a transformer station.

If the power station is supplied with coal and the powerline is not too long power wil flow from the power station to the consumer and you'll get paid for the transport.

Seth exploited a bug - you can sell back the produced pwoer to the power station itself. It wasn't meant to be used that way, but it's cheap money source.

The current powerline implementation has all kinds of bugs and problems. I think I found a better solution how to implement powerlines, but I had no time to work on it yet.

Long term ideas are to raise productivity of factories by supplying them with electrical power (and perhaps oil, gas and water transported with pipelines). Also there is the idea to connect overhead lines to power stations with powerlines, and to let electrical engines only run if the power supply is strong enough. I'm not sure which of those ideas and when they will be included - i.e. the powerlines remained unfinished and broken for over two years now. There was just alwys soemthing else to do which seemed to be more important.

c.u
Hajo
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

jacke wrote:I have also tried simutrans, works fine under Linux :)
Good to know :)

c.u.
Hajo
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A nice example of a complex transport network

Post by orudge »

Hajo wrote:IMO that game is a impressive demostration what can be done with Simutrans.
As I said on the mailing list, I particularly like the town named "Rudge". ;)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

orudge wrote:As I said on the mailing list, I particularly like the town named "Rudge". ;)
LOL :mrgreen: I don't think so there is a town "Shadow" :)
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

no city named "jacke" then ??? :? :wink:
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:
orudge wrote:As I said on the mailing list, I particularly like the town named "Rudge". ;)
LOL :mrgreen: I don't think so there is a town "Shadow" :)
You can rename cities. "Rudge" is a user-given city name, not automatic generated.

c.u.
Hajo
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Thank you for answering, Hajo!!
Hajo wrote:Seth exploited a bug - you can sell back the produced pwoer to the power station itself. It wasn't meant to be used that way, but it's cheap money source.
Yeah, I noticed the bug too ($$ :mrgreen: )

What does happen if you conncet e.g. a coal mine to the power station in the latest version (19exp)? Does the production rise?
Or do you 'just' get $$?

Well, the feature is still useful, thank you again!!
G-Klav

Note: my avatar is best viewed with the 'silver' scheme on the forums.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

btw. Is it possible to change displaying power stations in Coal Mines dialogs (and other industries) ?? .. Something Insted og XXX, YYY coordinates ...
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G-Klav wrote:Thank you for answering, Hajo!!
Hajo wrote:Seth exploited a bug - you can sell back the produced pwoer to the power station itself. It wasn't meant to be used that way, but it's cheap money source.
Yeah, I noticed the bug too ($$ :mrgreen: )

What does happen if you conncet e.g. a coal mine to the power station in the latest version (19exp)? Does the production rise?
Or do you 'just' get $$?

Well, the feature is still useful, thank you again!!
You just get a few credits. I wanted to get the power transport work better on long-distance connections before I link the industries productivity to power supply.

I'm happy that you liek the powerlines :)

c.u.
Hajo
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:btw. Is it possible to change displaying power stations in Coal Mines dialogs (and other industries) ?? .. Something Insted og XXX, YYY coordinates ...
It is planned to have buttons there that center the map on the destination industry if you click them. This way you'll be able to quickly jump to the consumers.

The current solution is just a temporary solution. It's pretty awkward :(

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Great .. and good would be to not to see grid ... and this grass .... maybe a bit darker .. like in TTD :mrgreen: I know it can't be exactly like in TTD ... but something near ...

Return to “Simutrans”