Looking for the SimuTrans Modding Tool

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
BauerME
Engineer
Engineer

Looking for the SimuTrans Modding Tool

Post by BauerME »

I finally discovered SimuTrans for myself during the July 4th weekend, and now that I have some play time under my belt, I wanted to explore the modding possibilities... but unfortunately the Wiki site has gone down since then and I can find no other sites that link to someplace where I can download the latest version of the modding tool. In fact, I can't even find any place that mentions what it is even called.

Could somebody reading this please tell me the name of the tool, and if/where a downloadable copy can be found? I would even be happy if somebody would be willing to email me the latest copy. Thank you in advance for your consideration and any help would be greatly appreciated!
BauerME
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BauerME »

Apparently the tool is named MakeObj and after some more searching, I I did find this link: http://www.simugraph.com/makeobj/makeobj-0_1_4.zip

I think it is the latest version.
BauerME
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BauerME »

Either this version is not the latest version or I am missing something. I have been trying to use the tool through the command line using the parameters that come up when you try running just 'makeobj' without any parameters.

Unfortunately, all I get is a copyright notice and then nothing.

At the moment I am simply trying to get a listing of a PAK file (using: makeobj LIST <PAK filename>. Getting that to work would be a start. My eventual goal is to take apart a valid PAK file to see how it is structured and what goes where. I would also like to use this method to see what the differences are between most of the stations and other structures I can build in game (Documentation is kind of spotty in general and with the WIKI site down it is practically non-existent).

I am beginning to wonder if it is possible to use the tool to extract the pieces of a PAK file, make modifications and then re-pack them. Any ideas or insight?
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Firstly, asking around on the more-official forums might help because these forums aren't used very much.

Secondly, silly question, but you never know: Did you write the < and > tags when using the actual command or not? Because you don't need them :-P
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
BauerME
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BauerME »

No, I did not use the <> symbols. I just used them to demonstrate in the syntax where the variable (the file name) goes in the line.
_VS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by _VS »

Go to http://www.simugraph.com/forum/viewtopi ... =12&t_id=2 and you'll see first post has last 0.1.4 - BUT, scroll down for 0.2.2!

Code: Select all

makeobj ./ ./
Using ... under windows is this the only 100% tested way. Compiles all stuff in same folder. List and Merge commands work too but you must play a bit with manual conversion of windowds path to linux-like.

You can't turn PAK into source. Or, you can but it is very hard, geeky and it gives only about 95% of data.

Documentation is really bad, this is true. I'm afraid only few people really know how it works and they are mostly away during summer holiday.

Station building DAT:

Code: Select all

obj=building
name=vs_bulk_stor_StationBlg
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0]=vs_bulk_stor.0.0
icon=vs_bulk_stor.0.1
cursor=vs_bulk_stor.0.2
This I got to work. "name" must end with "StationBlg" to make it station extension. If you want to create city building, I vaguely remember some "type = res|com|ind" and "level = number" values. Maybe it works.
BauerME
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BauerME »

Vs,

Thank you! That helps clear quite a few things up. Do you have any suggestions about who I should contact (directly or through the boards) to find out all the details?
_VS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by _VS »

Try joining the simu_gfx group at Yahoo!. Approving membership might take a few days but then feel free to ask, those gfx people are all there. As I said, getting information is hard but I am sure you'll get answers.
BauerME
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BauerME »

_VS wrote:Try joining the simu_gfx group at Yahoo!. Approving membership might take a few days but then feel free to ask, those gfx people are all there. As I said, getting information is hard but I am sure you'll get answers.
Thank you again! I will check it out. :-D

Return to “Simutrans”