GFX questions

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

GFX questions

Post by Alltaken »

does simutrans handle 128 pixel wide images

how does simutrans do testelating? does it use the 64x31 128x63 pixel method (for a flat piece?)

just curious as i have done a whole automated ground sprite generation set for OTTD and was thinking it might also be implimentable into simutrans.

Alltaken
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: GFX questions

Post by Hajo »

Alltaken wrote:does simutrans handle 128 pixel wide images
Yes.

Actually Simutrans should support tiles from 32x32 through 254x254 but there are some bugs, so only 64x64 and 128x128 work well - the other sizes basically work, too, but some images may be placed incorrectly.
how does simutrans do testelating? does it use the 64x31 128x63 pixel method (for a flat piece?)
Yes, the basic tiles are diamonds of 64x31 (or 128x63) pixels.
But diamonds of 62x32 (126x64) would work as well.
The tile rows are interleaved by 32 (64) pixels
just curious as i have done a whole automated ground sprite generation set for OTTD and was thinking it might also be implimentable into simutrans.

Alltaken
I once made a PovRay scene file to render all needed ground shapes automatically, but it always needed some manual repairs after rendering.

But with different tools (or if you are a better 3D modeller tahn me :) ) automated ground tile generation should be the best way to do it.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

I would also looking forward to have new ground sprite, especially with less high mountains instead of the 16 normalized pixel height. However, this would unfourtunately also mean a complete replacement of roads etc. (Although in Simutrans roads are not part of the ground sprite, but rendered on top of it.)

An automatic method would also allow for more seasons than just summer and winter. I can send you the full set of ground tiles, thus you can see, what shapes are used in Simutrans.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

ok i have your files, and i checked, them it looks like my tiles fit them.

so if you guys want automated tile generation (16 and 8 pixel displacement on 128 wide sprites, so 85 combinations instead of the TTD 19)

http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Groun ... tomated%29

feel free to use them if you wish, or generate your own from the files.

the files are GPL so if you guys do some nice work in it, i would be interested in seeing it, and perhaps adapting it for OTTD.

i see no reason why we can't take stuff from each other.

tile 0081 is the flat square, i can find the equivalents of the others for you guys to make it easy to find.

Alltaken
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Hey, that are great files, thanks for shareing...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...

Return to “Simutrans”