Hajo retires from Simutrans development

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

From http://www.simutrans.de => English => Community => A short history of Simutrans development
3. After programming C for a long time I wanted to learn C++ and needed a OO project to learn C++.
I was just beginning to learn C++ that time, and it's probably quite natural to use a well known language to build the core of a bigger project.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

Thanks, Zuu, for the quotatations :)

The graphics layer is older than Simutrans it was taken from a former projekt of mine. Also a few of the graphics routines have optimized versions in hand-written assembly code which can be used on Intel compatible CPUs. So it's roughly:

< 100 lines assembly code (C replacements exist to allow easy porting)
< 2000 lines C code
> 70000 lines C++ code

Edit:

Zuu, I wanted to post a message to the Transport Empire forum. You talked about passenger pathfinding and the CPU load it cuases in Simutrans. But I'm not allowede to post there. So I write it here:

In big games there can be several tenth of thousands passengers in the game. The network can change often becuase the player keeps building. So passenger pathfinding is called fairly often, for each created passenger and for every passenger who leaves a vehicle to transfer to another vehicle. In large games this are a lot of calls due to the high number of passengers.

But since 3GHz CPUs become more and more common nowadays, the problem may no longer exist until Transport Empire is done. So you might keep an eye on the issue but I assume it's not worth spending a lot of thought in this early stage of TE development.
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

What will you be concentrating on now? I've only seen "Other projects"... May i ask wich?
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

In the past I've spend way too much time on my projects, particularly on Simutrans. My life is lacking some things that I consider important now but which I have lost or couldn't get because I focused to much on my projects, namely Simutrans.

I'm trying to "get a life" as they say. At least a better balance in my life.

I'll most likey not work much on any computer projects. It would mean to repeat the mistake.

I'm not sure what to do with this project:
http://h-world.simugraph.com/

I don't want to let it die altogether, but very likely I'll not work on it again anytime soon. It's on halt.

There are no other projects, except changing my life to a more pleasant and fulfilling life :)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hajo wrote:Zuu, I wanted to post a message to the Transport Empire forum. You talked about passenger pathfinding and the CPU load it cuases in Simutrans. But I'm not allowede to post there. So I write it here:

In big games there can be several tenth of thousands passengers in the game. The network can change often becuase the player keeps building. So passenger pathfinding is called fairly often, for each created passenger and for every passenger who leaves a vehicle to transfer to another vehicle. In large games this are a lot of calls due to the high number of passengers.

But since 3GHz CPUs become more and more common nowadays, the problem may no longer exist until Transport Empire is done. So you might keep an eye on the issue but I assume it's not worth spending a lot of thought in this early stage of TE development.
I will forward it to the TEempire Development forum.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Simutrans”