Delete the "foe" feature

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Delete the "foe" feature

Post by acs121 »

Hello,

This is just a request about something that I just noticed that existed but that really shouldn't.

Apparently you can add people as foes on the forums. In some kind, it's blocking people. I tested it on some random guy and it hides all the messages he posts, and apparently he can't send PMs to you, etc. I think I've been added as foe by someone on the forums, and that's why I'm writing this.
In my opinion it's anti-social. We're not on Twitter. There's absolutely no reason to add people as foes since there are enough moderators that will be able to act in case of a report on any thread. Also, I don't like this term of "foe". This literally means there's some kind of war on the forum. Which is just... weird.

So this is a kind request to the moderation to delete the "foe" feature because it's useless and destroys TT-Forums.
kamnet

Re: Delete the "foe" feature

Post by kamnet »

Speaking from a technical standpoint, I doubt that can be done due to the extremely tight integration of components that phpBB has developed in its software. As it is, it's proving to be a difficult task just to make minor adjustments like updating the buttons so that they're more visually logical.

From the social aspect, I doubt that most people here even use the "Friends" and "Foes" features enough to care about them. In my nearly 10 years of presence, I can only think of a few people who have agitated me enough that I'd even consider using it, and most of that is simply because I find their posts to be so banal and annoying, but I didn't want to preclude them from contacting me, either, so I suffer.

From the moderator aspect, I'm all for tools which allow users to resolve individual issues among themselves and not have to involve a moderator.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Actually I just wrote this because I'm simply 100% convinced someone in particular on the forums has added me as a foe. And the problem is that the foe feature prevents you from sending PMs. When I had issues with him, moderation did nothing. It's just a situation that really exasperates and unnerve me and my case is probably far from being the only one on the forums. So my topic is just my way to say "stop it".
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

This is a standard phpBB feature, and I’m not intending to remove it (as kamnet said, it’s not necessarily straightforward). I’m aware of at least one user who did (maybe still does) use the ‘foe’ feature to ignore posts by another user who annoyed them (but wasn’t breaking any rules). Perhaps it would be better termed “ignore” or similar, but again, the terminology is the standard phpBB wording.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”