Page 1 of 1

Avatar file sizes

Posted: 15 Feb 2018 16:15
by kamnet
Avatar image file sizes are currently limited to 25 kilobytes. Considering many people like to use their own personal photos, and the high resolution of these images, I think it would be nice if we increased that limit to something more reasonable. I just tried to upload my new pic, but it's 32 kb. Would bumping that up to 256 kb be acceptable?

Re: Avatar file sizes

Posted: 15 Feb 2018 18:08
by Auge
Hello
kamnet wrote:Avatar image file sizes are currently limited to 25 kilobytes. … Would bumping that up to 256 kb be acceptable?
Please bear in mind, that several people pay their ISP bills per consumed data volume. For them loading a thread with only a few large avatars every time they visits the forum would waste a noticeable amount of data volume for nothing. This, even caching exists but also further websites to visit exists.

Tschö, Auge

Re: Avatar file sizes

Posted: 15 Feb 2018 23:25
by kamnet
Auge wrote:Hello
kamnet wrote:Avatar image file sizes are currently limited to 25 kilobytes. … Would bumping that up to 256 kb be acceptable?
Please bear in mind, that several people pay their ISP bills per consumed data volume. For them loading a thread with only a few large avatars every time they visits the forum would waste a noticeable amount of data volume for nothing. This, even caching exists but also further websites to visit exists.

Tschö, Auge
I haven't forgotten that, but most people have vastly improved Internet capacity since the early 2000s.

Re: Avatar file sizes

Posted: 16 Feb 2018 01:27
by Redirect Left
I agree, I don't think the avatar size needs to be so limiting in 2018.

The majority of metered connections will probably be phone connections / data. There are simple ways of limiting the bandwidth used by sites, such as using the Chrome browser and data saver enabled.

Re: Avatar file sizes

Posted: 16 Feb 2018 10:28
by Auge
Hello
kamnet wrote:
Auge wrote:
kamnet wrote:Avatar image file sizes are currently limited to 25 kilobytes. … Would bumping that up to 256 kb be acceptable?
Please bear in mind, that several people pay their ISP bills per consumed data volume.
I haven't forgotten that, but most people have vastly improved Internet capacity since the early 2000s.
In the year 2000 I had a (seen from tody) very slow connection with unlimited traffic. Now, 18 years later, I have a much faster connection with a traffic limit. Enlarging avatars is IMHO nothing else than a waste of traffic. Not only for me, not only for further forum users, having contracts with a traffic limit but maybe also for the server operator because of possible traffic costs.

[edit]
Redirect Left wrote:The majority of metered connections will probably be phone connections / data. There are simple ways of limiting the bandwidth used by sites, such as using the Chrome browser and data saver enabled.
Here in Germany many rural areas one can have fast internet connections only by mobile phone conentions, even for the stationary devices and only with traffic limits. So it's not only a task for the mobile browser on the phone to handle this.

And in generally it's IMHO valid to ask, if someones wish should affect someone else by leading to problems at her/his side.[/edit]

Tschö, Auge

Re: Avatar file sizes

Posted: 16 Feb 2018 12:13
by orudge
I've bumped the size limit up to 50KB.

If your avatar is larger in file size terms, then you can link to it remotely, but please try to keep the size down, as folk can be browsing on slower and data-capped mobile connections. (Of course, if this applies to you, you can disable avatar display using the UCP.)

Also, I really should probably change my 11-year-old avatar...

Re: Avatar file sizes

Posted: 16 Feb 2018 14:02
by Chrill
orudge wrote:I've bumped the size limit up to 50KB.

If your avatar is larger in file size terms, then you can link to it remotely, but please try to keep the size down, as folk can be browsing on slower and data-capped mobile connections. (Of course, if this applies to you, you can disable avatar display using the UCP.)

Also, I really should probably change my 11-year-old avatar...
My photo is 26 years old so there's that.

Re: Avatar file sizes

Posted: 16 Feb 2018 15:31
by orudge
Perhaps I should make this unremarkable smudge my avatar, then it'll clearly win the oldest photo competition!
worlds-first-photograph-2.jpg
worlds-first-photograph-2.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 3271 times