Mobile Support?

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Mobile Support?

Post by Translink »

It is currently 2016. Most people (including myself) use smartphones. Unfortunately, this website does not feature mobile support, which is quite unhandy. I would assume (and I'm only making an assumption) that it would be fairly easy to make a website mobile-friendly, but then, I only know basic HTML I learnt in secondary school, so I wouldn't know much.

But anyways, what I'm trying to say is that it would be quite nice if this website featured mobile support
WWTBAM

Re: Mobile Support?

Post by WWTBAM »

If you want mobile support, try TapTalk. This site mainly doesn't support mobile device web browser well is because of it's older layout style and we don't seem to have many phpBB layout experts on here with the time to rewrite the TT-Theme to be more modern.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We will likely be forced to convert the theme come the next update, I believe. That might make a difference.

As beclawat stated, TapaTalk is a forum app that should work quite nicely.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I've used the forums on mobile for 5/6 years now, and can't say that I've ever had an issue with them on Mobile. The forum fits nicely on my screen, and I just need to either zoom in on, or double tap a button to ensure I get the correct one (I have a Galaxy S7, it opens a zoomed in screen if it's unsure which button you pressed).

This is the only forum I use however, and as such, I've never used one with mobile support, so maybe it's just because I don't once better that I'm happy with it the way it is.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I also have no issues using mobile to access this site, I use a Moto X Play. All fits nicely, load times are snappy on 3/4G.

Can't say I see any urgency to making a mobile version.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Translink wrote:It is currently 2016. Most people (including myself) use smartphones. Unfortunately, this website does not feature mobile support, which is quite unhandy. I would assume (and I'm only making an assumption) that it would be fairly easy to make a website mobile-friendly, but then, I only know basic HTML I learnt in secondary school, so I wouldn't know much.
If you know basic HTML, then you probably won't find it too much harder to learn basic PHP templating. Grab you a copy of phpBB, install it on a cheap personal account someplace, learn how to modify the template, then design a nice mobile-friendly version of the site, package it up and send it to Owen. You'll have saved him a ton of time and it could be installed as an additional theme for anybody who wants to use it.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, the forums scale really badly on the four phones I have used for it (Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, OnePlus Two).
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

kamnet wrote: If you know basic HTML, then you probably won't find it too much harder to learn basic PHP templating. Grab you a copy of phpBB, install it on a cheap personal account someplace, learn how to modify the template, then design a nice mobile-friendly version of the site, package it up and send it to Owen. You'll have saved him a ton of time and it could be installed as an additional theme for anybody who wants to use it.
Well, that might be something to do over the summer.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You can switch to the proSilver theme in the UCP if you want a mobile friendly theme. There's also the Tapatalk app you can use.

The only thing I've not tested is how the adverts and other minor customisations I've made might affect the mobile version...

In terms of the TT theme, it would be good to have it rewritten based on proSilver. Anyone fancy volunteering? :)

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”