WebRing malware warning

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Clemo56
Engineer
Engineer

WebRing malware warning

Post by Clemo56 »

What is that link for at the bottom of the homepage of the forums?

"Transport Tycoon WebRing" or something. When i try to go there i get a malware warning and chrome wont let me visit the page. I can't imagine the forums would be linking to somewhere dodgy but perhaps its a link to an expired page or something that has been taken over by people with malitious intent?

I think somebody should review that link and if it truly does distribute malware i definately think that link should be removed from the tt forums!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: WebRing malware warning

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm also getting this, using Firefox. If it is spamming/malwaring, its only recent this warning has appeared, I accidentally clicked on it a few week ago and it was fine.

Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Looking at Google, "Some pages on this website redirect visitors to dangerous websites that install malware on visitors' computers" and "Dangerous websites have been sending visitors to this website". I don't expect that's specific to the Transport Tycoon webring, mind, it's probably some others that are no doubt full of rubbish.

We don't load any resources directly from webring.org, so there shouldn't be any errors appearing on the forums themselves.

Once upon a time, webrings were somewhat useful things (and the Transport Tycoon Webring had quite a few sites on). Wikipedia of course has an article on them. Since Webring went independent of Yahoo (which, to be fair, was now way back in 2001), the web site seemed to deteriorate (lots of ads, etc), and it looks like it's only got worse.

Still... I feel somewhat nostalgic towards it. Hopefully they'll clean up whatever bad sites they're linked to and will lose that warning.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

However I think it's fair... keeping it only for nostalgia here at the bottom of the forum does not really give the best impression. Maybe it's better placed in the history section of your TT site? And putting a link to that, your site, here at the footer of the forums?

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”