Add Skype to contact info

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

kamnet

Add Skype to contact info

Post by kamnet »

Since MSN Messenger is no longer supported and Microsoft has encouraged users to move over to Skype, I think it would make sense to add a Skype contact info field to user profiles.

Perhaps, also, inclusion of other social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, maybe also other messaging platforms such as KiK and WhatsApp. I'd also suggest Google+ but no idea how much longer that's going to last.
Chrill

Re: Add Skype to contact info

Post by Chrill »

In essense, Skype is a new iteration of MSN. While renaming it would make sense, you could just as well use that field for Skype contact information.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I have no particular desire to add a million and one different sites, but Skype could be a possibility. Will look into it at some point.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We do have Skype, though. I can see orudge's Skype and I can see my own. In profile information.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

All I've ever seen is MSNM/WLM, YIM, AIM, ICQ and Jabber.

And, really, how many here still actively use MSN (instead of Skype), AIM, ICQ or Jabber? According to this 2013 report, Skype, MSN & Yahoo IM made up 78% of installs, with AIM, ICQ and Jabber clients falling be listed individually due to low installation. This makes the contact list look horribly outdated.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

kamnet wrote:All I've ever seen is MSNM/WLM, YIM, AIM, ICQ and Jabber.

And, really, how many here still actively use MSN (instead of Skype), AIM, ICQ or Jabber? According to this 2013 report, Skype, MSN & Yahoo IM made up 78% of installs, with AIM, ICQ and Jabber clients falling be listed individually due to low installation. This makes the contact list look horribly outdated.
That is unfortunately part of the inherent problem with forum software such as SMF and phpBB, whilst in their prime they were very featured advanced, they are now less well maintained it seems, the only updates tend to be bug and security fixes. There are newer platforms out there which offer a considerably more social driven approach to forum software, but a lot of them need a subscription or a large one-off payment.
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Skype appears in the right hand column rather than the left hand column on the profile page, as it's a custom field.

phpBB 3.1 is under active development and the first release candidate was recently released; hopefully we will see the final version over the coming month or two. I'll need to test out some upgrades at some point. Despite just being a minor version number increment, it does contain a lot of significant improvements as I understand it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Oh, I see the Skype field now. Would be nice if it was a clickable link.
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

Yep, phpBB has recently reached its first RC for the new version. It has fields for Skype, Facebook, Twitter + Google+ if I remember correctly from what I've translated :)

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”