Graphics subforums

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Graphics subforums

Post by juzza1 »

Two changes I've been thinking about (somewhat inspired by earlier discussions at #openttd):

1. Merge "32-bit Graphics Development" with "Graphics Development"
After reading some older posts, it seems the 32-bit section was created mainly because of the numerous discussions regarding 32-bit graphics, and because this feature was not supported in the OpenTTD trunk. Because of this, 32-bit graphics were mostly seen as a separate entity. Currently, however, the NewGRF spec fully supports 32-bit graphics. In addition, every 32-bit NewGRF also has to include 8-bit graphics*. Therefore, it seems the separate 32-bit section servers no purpose anymore.

2. Change "Graphics Releases" subforum
Currently many projects have dedicated topics in both the "Graphics Releases" and the "Graphics Development" subforum. Sometimes this leads to separate discussions in both topics, when in my opinion, the ideal situtation would be to have one discussion/development topic per one project. Additionally, most new projects are hosted at the #openttdcoop DevZone, which also has a dedicated bug tracker for each project.

My primary suggestion regarding "Graphics Releases" subforum is to lock reply rights of each new topic to the original author of the topic. This way, every new post in "Graphics Releases" would be an indication of either a new release or an update to an existing release. Additionally, the author of each topic could grant reply access to other members of the project.

*Though some 32-bit releases only supply "dummy" 8-bit graphics
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Graphics subforums

Post by planetmaker »

juzza1 wrote:Two changes I've been thinking about (somewhat inspired by earlier discussions at #openttd):

1. Merge "32-bit Graphics Development" with "Graphics Development"
After reading some older posts, it seems the 32-bit section was created mainly because of the numerous discussions regarding 32-bit graphics, and because this feature was not supported in the OpenTTD trunk. Because of this, 32-bit graphics were mostly seen as a separate entity. Currently, however, the NewGRF spec fully supports 32-bit graphics. In addition, every 32-bit NewGRF also has to include 8-bit graphics*. Therefore, it seems the separate 32-bit section servers no purpose anymore.

2. Change "Graphics Releases" subforum
Currently many projects have dedicated topics in both the "Graphics Releases" and the "Graphics Development" subforum. Sometimes this leads to separate discussions in both topics, when in my opinion, the ideal situtation would be to have one discussion/development topic per one project. Additionally, most new projects are hosted at the #openttdcoop DevZone, which also has a dedicated bug tracker for each project.

My primary suggestion regarding "Graphics Releases" subforum is to lock reply rights of each new topic to the original author of the topic. This way, every new post in "Graphics Releases" would be an indication of either a new release or an update to an existing release. Additionally, the author of each topic could grant reply access to other members of the project.
I agree actually on both accounts. The question is how to deal with it / implement it?
Should the 32-bit sub-forum simply be closed to new replies? Or should threads be moved the newgrf dev forum? Same question for the releases forum: just close or merge with the newgrf dev forum. And what to do about duplicate threads?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'd just merge all of them. Duplicate threads will "naturally" disappear over time as people will stick to either of them, in cases this won't work lock them and preferably post a link to the other one (I know that means some work for the mods but when using the search function it might be useful for "new users" who for some reason find the inactive thread first and wonder why it's locked...).
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Merging the 32-bit and "normal" graphics development forums is not a problem, if enough people think it's a good idea. At the time it was implemented, the 32-bit project was still somewhat experimental - obviously that's not the case any longer!

With regards to locking/merging the Releases forum, I'm not too sure at the moment. Originally we just had a single "Graphics" forum, and many projects had both a release topic and a development topic. When we reshuffled the forums a few years ago, it was decided that having separate forums would be beneficial. I'd be curious to hear from more folk what they think regarding this before doing anything.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Merging the 32-bit and "normal" development forums I think is a good step, but I think Development and Release should stay separate. The Development topics tend to be more technical and work towards future features, while the Release topics are more announcements and general feedback.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juzza1 »

Just in case my original proposition about the changes to "Graphics Releases" was unclear, what I meant was not to merge or delete the section - but rather, in the future, let anyone create topics as usually, but only let authors reply to their own topics (and, if feasible, let authors grant reply rights to other project members). Authors would be encouraged to only create posts of releases or updates in this section. This way any new message in this section would instantly let forum users know a new project has been released, or a previous one was updated. Any further discussion would take place in the Graphics Development section.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Just my two cents:

Merging the 32 bit graphics forum with the normal one makes sense to me.

Closing off the graphics releases forum to replies doesn't though. As already pointed out, the development topics are mostly for development/technical stuff, and the release topics are where general feedback fits best. Of course, it should be up to the author(s) to dictate which discussions belong where, and for the most part I think the current system works fine. I understand what you're trying to achieve, but considering the relatively low amount of activity there, it's not too hard to find that information as it is.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Move all the 32 bpp graphics convos over to Graphics Development or Graphics Releases, whichever is appropriate, EXCEPT for the conversations about the old 32 bpp graphics. Close those off, and if they need continued discussion (as opposed to gravedigging) they can start new threads in the apporpriate forums.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I think leave it as is or make the 32 bit forum a sub forum of Graphics Development as most of the threads from what I have seen have been development threads and just let the artists use Graphics Releases for both types of GRF.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Just merge 32bpp forum to Development or Release forum (as appropriate), as it's the same thing now; but left some threads there, that's just related to the 32bpp technology itself, like early 32bpp implementation efforts or something. I mean, discussions to improve performance of 32bpp graphics could still spawn; even probably if OpenTTD ever makes 32bpp it's standard or so, and a single road on 32bpp would be four tiles instead of one...

I don't see why would the Development and Release forums need to be merged; currently, the discussions in the two forums are different, and also that'd make it silly for those NewGRFs whose development takes place outside this forum, but released here.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Keeping 32bpp as a subforum of Development seems like a good idea to me - finding the relatively tiny number of 32bpp threads if merged straight in with the others would be really tricky, and just the reminder that 32bpp graphics exist is probably more needed than is ideal. :|
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

YNM wrote:even probably if OpenTTD ever makes 32bpp it's standard or so, and a single road on 32bpp would be four tiles instead of one...
What the big green flippety flip are you talking about?

The sooner we get rid of that 32bpp forum, the sooner people will stop being confused about exactly what 32bpp means. :roll:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:With regards to locking/merging the Releases forum, I'm not too sure at the moment. Originally we just had a single "Graphics" forum, and many projects had both a release topic and a development topic. When we reshuffled the forums a few years ago, it was decided that having separate forums would be beneficial. I'd be curious to hear from more folk what they think regarding this before doing anything.
I never really understood the need for a seperate release topic. Ok, previously it could be used to upload GRF attachments (although IMO that's still best done by updating the first post, rather than adding a new post), but since OpenTTD has an online content download, official GRF releases don't need to be attached to a forum posts anymore. Topic titles usually are edited to announce a new release anyways.

As a graphic developer, I rather have 1 topic to check, than having to check 2 topics in 2 separate forums.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

FLHerne wrote:Keeping 32bpp as a subforum of Development seems like a good idea to me|
No subforums please. Just merge them.
kamnet wrote:Close those off, and if they need continued discussion (as opposed to gravedigging) they can start new threads in the apporpriate forums.
Just move those topics to the "Archived Forums" category. If a topic really needs to be reopened, a simple click on the report button requesting an unlock & move should do the trick.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Any more thoughts on this? Would folk be happy if I merged 32-bit Graphics Development into Graphics Development? I'll be leaving Graphics Releases alone, though.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

orudge wrote:Any more thoughts on this?
Just a small thought: rename those forums to NewGRF Releases/Development? It is not actually needed to have graphics (town names and base cost NewGRFs), so the Graphics name is a bit misleading, although the subtitle indicates that it is about the whole NewGRF spectrum.

Merging 32-bit and Development should not give any problem, although it might be better to sort out the topics that are based on the "new" system and move those to development, and keep the "old" as an archive. On the other hand, those "old" things should not really resurface again due to new posts, so also merging those with Development is not really an issue.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Transportman wrote:
orudge wrote:Any more thoughts on this?
Just a small thought: rename those forums to NewGRF Releases/Development? It is not actually needed to have graphics (town names and base cost NewGRFs), so the Graphics name is a bit misleading, although the subtitle indicates that it is about the whole NewGRF spectrum.

Merging 32-bit and Development should not give any problem, although it might be better to sort out the topics that are based on the "new" system and move those to development, and keep the "old" as an archive. On the other hand, those "old" things should not really resurface again due to new posts, so also merging those with Development is not really an issue.
That would be my preference.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

orudge wrote:Any more thoughts on this? Would folk be happy if I merged 32-bit Graphics Development into Graphics Development? I'll be leaving Graphics Releases alone, though.
*bump* It seems to have been forgotten. Can we have this option please :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Oops, I did indeed forget. The 32-bit graphics forum is now no more. All posts are now in the standard Graphics Development forum.

If there are any topics that would be better placed in Graphics Releases or Technical Discussions, please flag them for a moderator to move (or if you're a moderator, move them). :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Thank you very much, orudge :)

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”