birthday / user list spam

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: birthday / user list spam

Post by Chrill »

I do like the general idea of the birthday list, I'd quite enjoy keeping it around. Especially if roboboy's idea works.

Just look how pretty it is when we have the time to clean it manually :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:But how would you know whose birthday it is without the birthday list? :mrgreen:
When someone announces his birthday in the appropiate topic and is offering us cake.
And when someone isn't doing that... well... lets just say there's no point in celebrating someone's birthday if there's no cake. :mrgreen:
Chrill wrote:I do like the general idea of the birthday list, I'd quite enjoy keeping it around. Especially if roboboy's idea works.

Just look how pretty it is when we have the time to clean it manually :P
Sure, when it's fixed and it works like intended, awesome little feature. But until then, I'd say take it down. Can always re-enable it when we found a fix. But in its current state... disable it.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Purno wrote:TBH IMO we don't need that birthday list, and I'd say just disable it completely. We got a birthday celebration topic for those who want to share some cake.
Noooo. It's nice to send someone else a birthday wish and it's really nice when someone else remembers your own birthday.
Purno wrote: lets just say there's no point in celebrating someone's birthday if there's no cake.
You're evil. A complete materialistic douche... :mrgreen: You're the one who is supposed to give presents to a birthday boy/girl, not the other way round! No cake for you! :lol:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Voyager One wrote:Noooo. It's nice to send someone else a birthday wish and it's really nice when someone else remembers your own birthday.
True, but TBH, I never check the birtday list anymore since it's always listing tens of spammers. I'm not gonna bother reading that whole list to see if there's a genuine username there. IMO the birthday list completely looses its goal as long as spammers abuse it.
Voyager One wrote:You're evil. A complete materialistic douche... :mrgreen: You're the one who is supposed to give presents to a birthday boy/girl, not the other way round! No cake for you! :lol:
I should report you for your tasteless insults, but I guess you just haven't discovered how tasty virtual cake is yet. :tongue:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Purno wrote:I should report you for your tasteless insults, but I guess you just haven't discovered how tasty virtual cake is yet.
So that would be my birthday present from you? A report? :lol:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Indeed, with the current list of spammers in the list, it doesn't really invite to look at it to see who's birthday it is. Cleaning it up to have only the more regular posters (+10 posts) would increase its usefulness.
Purno wrote:I should report you for your tasteless insults, but I guess you just haven't discovered how tasty virtual cake is yet. :tongue:
GLaDOS, is that you?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

orudge wrote:
Voyager One wrote:I know I'm kind of late with my penny but I fully agree with Kogut's suggestion, as harsh as it may sound to someone. I'd set the "n" number to 10 and even that is very low (50 would be even better). Think about it, an engaged user will reach these numbers in no time and others... sorry for being blunt... who cares.
That's fine in theory; in practice though somebody needs to modify phpBB to support that. It's something I may try to look into it shortly.
I suppose this won't take more than modifying a single SQL query. Both post count and birthday are stored in the same table IIRC, so it won't need a bloated JOIN, at most adding a single index of birthday+post count pair might come in handy if it isn't fast enough by default.
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

When I have some time (maybe on Friday night) I will see what I can do.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I am making progress on my spam removal bot.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

Bit of a bump! but I see the spammers in the birthday list are back. :(
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

If roboboy has quit on his bot, maybe we can convince Owen to run the deletion script again, although it takes a mighty long time and the only thing that the spammers are hurting is birthday recognition.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

Not only the birthday recognition, but the fact that they are using the forums for additional advertising, including some of a unsavoury nature. This we do not need.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I disabled one of our anti-spam protection mechanisms a little while ago, as it was prohibiting various genuine users from registering (and I got quite a few e-mails about this as a result). I haven't yet got a suitable replacement, unfortunately. I'm partially waiting to see how phpBB 3.1 performs in term of anti-spam. I'll need to work on an upgrade plan for the new version.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Zakos wrote:If roboboy has quit on his bot, maybe we can convince Owen to run the deletion script again, although it takes a mighty long time and the only thing that the spammers are hurting is birthday recognition.
I haven't quit per se, I got a new laptop and lost two close family members so it is on hold. I am thinking about picking it back up again in the next few weeks.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

roboboy wrote:I haven't quit per se, I got a new laptop and lost two close family members so it is on hold. I am thinking about picking it back up again in the next few weeks.
I'm sorry to hear that; take your time.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

My project actually does some work now :) It gives me a list of birthday users it thinks are spammers based on criteria that I won't make public for spam bot authors to discover. It also opens all their profiles for me in my browser so I can investigate them. Today on it's first run it only left 3 spammers in the list for me to manually clean and there were no genuine users in the list it gave me.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Nice work
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Well done! :bow:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

roboboy wrote:My project actually does some work now :) It gives me a list of birthday users it thinks are spammers based on criteria that I won't make public for spam bot authors to discover. It also opens all their profiles for me in my browser so I can investigate them. Today on it's first run it only left 3 spammers in the list for me to manually clean and there were no genuine users in the list it gave me.
Very nice. Thanks a lot :)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

planetmaker wrote:
roboboy wrote:My project actually does some work now :) It gives me a list of birthday users it thinks are spammers based on criteria that I won't make public for spam bot authors to discover. It also opens all their profiles for me in my browser so I can investigate them. Today on it's first run it only left 3 spammers in the list for me to manually clean and there were no genuine users in the list it gave me.
Very nice. Thanks a lot :)
I still have to manually close 40-50 tabs and ban them all for the time being but once I am comfortable that it isn't going to pickup a genuine user, I would like to give it the power to ban the users it detects. I am also thinking about giving it the ability to scan the member list once my spam user detection algorithm is finished and declared safe.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”