Clarification regarding real world transport news

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Clarification regarding real world transport news

Post by Redirect Left »

Hello.

I'm making this thread to ask for clarification as to where one should be posting any topics relating to real world transport news for may be worth discussion, or just general interest to the TT-F population. I have noticed that it seems to be quite widely spread about the forum, and I think it would be better if the mods could decide where such things should actually be, to stop myself and others posting them in differing places.

For instance, the thread relating to the rail crash in Canada was posted (by me) in General Transport Discussion.
On the other hand, the news relating to the Costa Concordia early last year is located in 'off topic'.

So where would the mods/admins prefer for future news to be posted, or more accurately where is the 'correct' place for this sort of stuff?

Another possible suggestion could be making a subforum of General Transport Discussion for 'Transport News' and such, but i think its not a subject that comes up often enough for its own subforum?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Clarification regarding real world transport news

Post by orudge »

I would say they should all be in General Transport Discussion. I'll move the Costa Concordia topic.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Jolteon wrote:Another possible suggestion could be making a subforum of General Transport Discussion for 'Transport News' and such, but i think its not a subject that comes up often enough for its own subforum?
I believe you are right. The subject does not come up frequently enough. As I am sure orudge can agree, a subforum is not generally something we want to add as long as it's not necessary. Only if it clutters the pages of a specific forum despite not warranting it's very own forum would a subforum really be needed.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:I would say they should all be in General Transport Discussion. I'll move the Costa Concordia topic.
I disagree. I've always seen the Transport Discussion forum as the corner for transport-geeks (no offense!), with very specific topics, most of them not interesting for the non-transport-geeks. I've seen topics there over a specific type of train being out of service, or minor changes to the timetabling, etc. The few times I read the forum, I found a lot of British-specific topics. I usually skip reading this forum.

But big happenings like the Costa Concordia is more like general news and the Spanish Hi-speed train crash, being posted at several news sites, which also interests many non-transport-geeks. I've always loved reading those topics in the Off-Topic forum, which I did way before we had a Transport Discussion forum.

But I can see your point. It is Transport news after all... but I wouldn't say it's just that simple :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, perhaps having more transport news in there that isn't about specific British trains being delayed or whatever will help make the forum more welcoming to everybody. ;)
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Can i suggest to rename the General Transport Discussion to;

Transport News and Discussions ? :p
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”