Disapproved stuff.

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

OpenAutisTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Disapproved stuff.

Post by OpenAutisTTD »

Hi there, I got a mail saying that someone "disapproved" my post twice.
Well, first of all, I posted twice, because I had no idea that my first post was deleted by someone. I thought I was just too high.

Anyway, how can I know when someone delete my post and read the reason for it?
I mean, if I don't get any feedback, how can I know that I'm doing it wrong?

One other thing: If someone posts in the wrong thread, please give some advices, mostly if you see that he is a new user.

Thank you and forgive my English.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Disapproved stuff.

Post by planetmaker »

I don't think your posting was disapproved twice :-)

Under some conditions postings of newly-registered users are put in a queue to be reviewed by a moderator before they go online. The first version of your question fell into that category.
Thus I saw a thread with two nearly identical postings of yours. The slightly older one was waiting for approval in the mod queue while the slightly newer one was already online without the need for any approval or action.

Thus what I did was disapprove the first version of the question which was still pending (while the 2nd is online) - and write an explanation of the length similar to this one explaining why I disapproved it: simply as the question is already asked and there's no point to have the same question in two nearly-identical and consecutive postings in the same thread. Sorry, if I should have expressed myself not clear enough.

Cheers
OpenAutisTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OpenAutisTTD »

Ah!

Now I get it.
Just remove the post queue then or send a visible notification about it, otherwise it's hard to figure out why your post is not there, so you just try to rewrite it. This is what I did.

Do you really need this kind of new-user queue? Is that for bots or what?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

OpenAutisTTD wrote:Ah!

Now I get it.
Just remove the post queue then or send a visible notification about it, otherwise it's hard to figure out why your post is not there, so you just try to rewrite it. This is what I did.

Yes, it's a spam protection and sometimes it flags valid posts like yours as "need to review". I don't know the exact algorithms behind it, but honestly, it works well. It stops a lot of spam showing up in this forum in the first place - except internally in our moderation queue. With a few postings done, that need for approval is gone, only relatively new users with few postings may be affected.
As to "visible notification" - isn't the mail you got a notification? :-)
OpenAutisTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OpenAutisTTD »

planetmaker wrote:
OpenAutisTTD wrote:Ah!

Now I get it.

Yes, it's a spam protection and sometimes it flags valid posts like yours as "need to review". I don't know the exact algorithms behind it, but honestly, it works well. It stops a lot of spam showing up in this forum in the first place - except internally in our moderation queue. With a few postings done, that need for approval is gone, only relatively new users with few postings may be affected.
As to "visible notification" - isn't the mail you got a notification? :-)
Well, the mail came a little late honestly and I think that "few posting done" equals to 1, because my second post skipped the queue apparently. :P
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The cut off is 5 posts I think, but posts will only be held if they contain a handful of certain flagged words (such as "kitchens", believe it or not).
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

Well it appears to be working :mrgreen:
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

orudge wrote:The cut off is 5 posts I think, but posts will only be held if they contain a handful of certain flagged words (such as "kitchens", believe it or not).
I've noticed most posts from genuine users that need moderating have either a URL or some form of BBCode in them.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

There's a limit to the number of URLs that can be included, too.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”