Spammers getting a little more clever

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Spammers getting a little more clever

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Was wondering when the spambots would catch on:

Seems that the latest forum spam here, has hidden links, of sort. Links here generally show as yellow color (Using the TT forum theme, as I do, and the winter TT theme they are green). Apparently, they now are specifying a black color for the links so they blend with the rest of the text. If one hovers a mouse over, then one sees a yellow underline. Attached is a picture that may show better what I mean.
Attachments
ttf_spam.png
Spam link illustration
(23.72 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Without Trains America Stops

FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Spammers getting a little more clever

Post by FLHerne »

Also interesting that it's a topical post in an existing topic? Most of the ones I've seen are either new topics or just randomly stuck on the bottom of a few existing ones, with no attempt to fit into the existing discussion.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Spammers have various devious means, indeed. We do usually notice any spam that gets posted reasonably quickly, however. :)
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

FLHerne wrote:Also interesting that it's a topical post in an existing topic? Most of the ones I've seen are either new topics or just randomly stuck on the bottom of a few existing ones, with no attempt to fit into the existing discussion.

Seems that the AI spambots use, is getting pretty good. Anyone care to find the coding used for it? Might be fun to take a spambot's coding and make it into OTTD AI. Perhaps as a test, could have it randomly plant advertising signs all over, but instead of for real world products, make it into ads for players' transport companies (Might be interesting in multiplayer environments, for the laughs if nothing else!).

Now I wonder what spambot AI would be like if Chris Sawyer developed it along the lines of TT's AI. That would almost be funny.
Without Trains America Stops

doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

There's also non-automatic spam.
Lukenwolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lukenwolf »

The really "clever" spam is usually posted by humans. Now that most forums have hardened their defenses against spambots, scriptkiddies and other desperate souls are paid to spam forums manually.
Beer is not the answer. It's the question, and the answer is YES.
Dave

Post by Dave »

A lot of call-centre staff are doing it as a sideline.

We have (legit) staff in India finding information on products through a third-party. Same thing.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Holy spam attack batman!

Can i nominate http://www.tt-forums.net/memberlist.php ... le&u=62320 for the best spammer award?
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

HELP US PLEASE SROTU!
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

C'MON ALMIGHTY SROTU !! ERASE THEM ALL !!!

@ ALL MODERATORS OF ANY TYPE : JUST LEAVE THE OLYMPIAD SHOW AND SEE THE FORUMS !!!
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser14 »

We need to report every single post that bot just made!
Je suis le patron et je vous emmerde!
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Just send a message to Orudge wich i have on my skype account :P
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Illegal_Alien wrote:Just send a message to Orudge wich i have on my skype account :P
I have PM'd him to, also Raichase, Badger, andel and others... I can't remember exactly.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
DeletedUser14
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser14 »

Perhaps a partial solution to the problem lies in this
spambot.png
spambot.png (52.33 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
If a user has a decent amount of posts (say 30, or 50) but not two in one single thread, perhaps take away their posting privileges and/or hide their posts until a moderator/admin reviews the account?
Je suis le patron et je vous emmerde!
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Nah dont restrain "legal" posters because some idiots are abusing the forum for spam. Just have more control/moderators to fix this kind of stuff.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

KasperVld wrote:Perhaps a partial solution to the problem lies in this
spambot.png
If a user has a decent amount of posts (say 30, or 50) but not two in one single thread, perhaps take away their posting privileges and/or hide their posts until a moderator/admin reviews the account?
No, I'd say don't post anything until they back and kill that extra fast weed.

He have 303 post now, much more faster than Alan fry :(

(Or how about if someone hijack the mods account and then kill them all ? I don't know TBH, this is so terrible and surprising as the opening just happen)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Would love to take a mod account in this case, will be worth the permaban :)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Or, for now, just lock the whole site, and unlock it at the time where mods are gathered.

Anyway, I'd say DONT POST ANYTHING AFTER THIS LINE. USE PM INSTEAD FOR A WHILE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

No that wont help. And how to lock a site when no-one is online who can lock it or remove the stuff? :P
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Sorry for crossing my own rule, but it have shown in google search that erglerluci is, indeed, also a spam on other sites.
http://www.google.com/m?q=erglerluci&ie ... S:official
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”