[Suggestion] Automatic resizing and clicking links.

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Geo Ghost

[Suggestion] Automatic resizing and clicking links.

Post by Geo Ghost »

Heyo. Couple of things that crossed my mind.

On a couple of other forums, I've noticed that images which are 'too large' as it were are automatically resized down to fit on the page but can be expanded by clicking them (opening in a pop up, or a new window depending on your preference).
Is something like that possible with this forum board? Would certainly be useful as images that are perhaps too big can be resized rather than the user having to resize them or just leave the link. Brilliant if sharing high-res photos or screenshots too. Put the image link in and it's scaled down automatically to avoid stretching the page.
This obviously only applies to URL links/tags. Not attachments.

Example shown here with the images in the post that are resized automatically to fit the forum page. Although there we run IP Board there, I'm not sure if there is a similar option that can be implemented here.

Secondly, is there a way for members to choose how links open?
At the moment, if I click a link, it goes straight to it from the current page. It would be better, I believe, if we perhaps had at least the option to decide how links open. For example, clicking a link opens it in a new tab, which would be much better in my view. Certainly when previewing a post, clicking a link to see if it works then realising it opens on the same page. I've lost posts doing that before after forgetting about such. Not sure if anyone else has made such mistakes too but it's a tad annoying :P

Couple of ideas :D Thanks for taking the time to read.
All the best,
-Richard
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Suggestion] Automatic resizing and clicking links.

Post by Pyoro »

On your second problem: browsers usually use mouse3 to open links in a new tab. Really useful for browsing everywhere once you're used to this. It's imo preferable to force opening new tabs, which can be rather annoying in some cases ;)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Re: the image resizing - this still results in the original large image being loaded into the page (as the image is resized client side) which can be rather slow and use a lot of bandwidth. I would prefer not to do this. phpBB does check for larger images in [img] links and refuses those that are too large. You can always just link manually to them or upload them as attachments.

In terms of opening links in a new window, it is the standard these days that links should open in the same window - you can always choose to open in a new tab or a new window by either using an appropriate keyboard shortcut, right-click menu entry or mouse button. The middle mouse button usually opens a link in a new tab.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Didn't you trial resizing of large attachments, Owen? As I recall it made loading of image heavy topics (e.g. Screenshots forum) really quite slow.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes - TTD screenshots are relatively well compressed in native form, but when scaled down nicely, they end up ballooning in filesize due to the fact you suddenly have more than 256 colours (due to the smooth resizing). So you'd have a 200KB screenshot with a 1MB thumbnail!

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”