Custom rankings?

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Custom rankings?

Post by Nawdic »

Owen,

Just another one of my wierd and wacky thoughts that never seem to go past the starting line...

Would it be possible that rather than "Tycoon" or "General Manager" etc rankings, could forum members create a simple sort-of rank that overrides the inbuilt one, such as for me... Errrr..... SuperSpammer, for example...
I know this can be done, but I don't know if this is a worthy idea.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Custom rankings?

Post by orudge »

It's not going to happen, no.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

orudge wrote:It's not going to happen, no.
Maybe you can add a slight explanation why not :roll: .
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Regardless of any explanation, I don't see the added benefit. There's already a signature and a location field where one can put all kinds of nonsense. No need to have a third place to do that. Personally I would be in favour of dropping ranks completely (except for moderators/administrators of course), as they have no real meaning anyways. The amount of post doesn't say anything about the quality of them (no, I'm not advocating a rating system, those are stupid).
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hyronymus wrote:Maybe you can add a slight explanation why not :roll: .
Hey, my first response was going to be a plain old "No", but I decided I should at least avoid breaking rule 1k. ;)

Technically, because it'd require a phpBB mod of some sort.
Administratively, because it could lead to all kinds of fun situations (people attempting to fake being moderators, people putting abusive or just plain stupid stuff in there - the suggested "SuperSpammer" above being a prime example). Obviously the (genuine :P) mods and admins could deal with that, but it's hassle we don't need.

Ranks are supposed, in my opinion, to reflect official positions on the forums. The TT-style post count rankings were added to make it a little more fun, and I don't see that there's anything wrong with that system as it stands. A few newbies occasionally ask how to achieve higher ranks and so on, but mostly people seem unconcerned by it.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:A few newbies occasionally ask how to achieve higher ranks and so on, but mostly people seem unconcerned by it.
Achieving the top rank wasn't much of a challenge TBH. :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

I must say, something above Tycoon/1000 would be fun :)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Lord Aro wrote:I must say, something above Tycoon/1000 would be fun :)
Maybe just multiply the posts needed for every rank by 10. That should keep you busy for a while ;)
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

I suggest maybe re-doing the rankings so that "Tycoon" cannot be reached before the 2500 post marker...

But meh, it's Owen's decision. 8) :wink:
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The ranks match the performance ratings in the game itself. I could change it, but I kind of like that they match.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:The ranks match the performance ratings in the game itself. I could change it, but I kind of like that they match.
I like Xeryus's suggestion;
XeryusTC wrote:Maybe just multiply the posts needed for every rank by 10. That should keep you busy for a while ;)
You'd still remain decently close to the original TT ratings this way. Originally it requires 960 ratings/posts for Tycoon, is'nt it? Multiplying that by 10 sounds fine by me, but I guess the Tycoon rank would become for the 'happy few', considering there's only 13 people with over 9600 posts, and a few of them have custom ranks. (This problem may slowly fix itself over time, as more long time members will eventually hit the 9600 milestone.)

But well, I like the idea of multiplying the postcount needed for every rank, and a factor 10 would make most sense to me.

The current 'Tycoon' rank is a bit silly if over 90% of the posters is a 'Tycoon' :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

There are currently 190 Tycoons (or moderators and administrators with over 960 posts who would be Tycoon were they not moderators or administrators). This is compared to 17,700 users with at least one post - so 16,740 non-Tycoon ranks. Out of that 16,740, 15,949 are Engineers, with 791 being Traffic Manager to President.

If we bumped them all up by 10, there'd be 13 Tycoons, 1 President, 4 Chairmen, 2 Chief Executives, 7 Directors, 15 Route Supervisors, 26 Transport Coordinators, 84 Traffic Managers and over 17,500 engineers. That's quite unbalanced if you ask me.

In theory it could be bumped up by 2 or 3 or something, but I do like the fact that it matches TT, and it makes it "achievable" for those who haven't been around for 10 years. ;)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:There are currently 190 Tycoons (or moderators and administrators with over 960 posts who would be Tycoon were they not moderators or administrators). This is compared to 17,700 users with at least one post - so 16,740 non-Tycoon ranks. Out of that 16,740, 15,949 are Engineers, with 791 being Traffic Manager to President.
True, but since Tycoons make a lot more posts than the lower ranks, most of the posts are made by Tycoons. If you take a look at the average percentage of Tycoon-made posts in a topic, numbers are quite different. Most of the people I work with are Tycoons. :mrgreen:
If we bumped them all up by 10, there'd be 13 Tycoons, 1 President, 4 Chairmen, 2 Chief Executives, 7 Directors, 15 Route Supervisors, 26 Transport Coordinators, 84 Traffic Managers and over 17,500 engineers. That's quite unbalanced if you ask me.
Aye, quite unbalanced, but the current ranking isn't ideal too. Dilemmas... :tongue:
In theory it could be bumped up by 2 or 3 or something, but I do like the fact that it matches TT, and it makes it "achievable" for those who haven't been around for 10 years. ;)
Hey, becoming a Tycoon should require some investment ;)
I agree that bumping it by 10 is quite high, but it's the only way to still have a match with the TT-rating system. Though I wonder how many people (especially non-Tycoons) would make a link between post-ranks and TT-ratings. :P
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

orudge wrote:If we bumped them all up by 10, there'd be 13 Tycoons, 1 President, 4 Chairmen, 2 Chief Executives, 7 Directors, 15 Route Supervisors, 26 Transport Coordinators, 84 Traffic Managers and over 17,500 engineers. That's quite unbalanced if you ask me.
Well, it represents a company better. It would be quite silly if a company would have 100 presidents and a few hundred chairmen ;)
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

I love how this has become quite an intense discussion about something that, when you step back for a minute, really doesn't matter or make any differnce to anything at all.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Not intense, but indeed, all about the details :mrgreen:
Image Image
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Badger can i get your title instead?
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

XeryusTC wrote:
orudge wrote:If we bumped them all up by 10, there'd be 13 Tycoons, 1 President, 4 Chairmen, 2 Chief Executives, 7 Directors, 15 Route Supervisors, 26 Transport Coordinators, 84 Traffic Managers and over 17,500 engineers. That's quite unbalanced if you ask me.
Well, it represents a company better. It would be quite silly if a company would have 100 presidents and a few hundred chairmen ;)
I actually burst out laughing!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

Well at least im a Tycoon :wink:
Im not sure who its could be bumped up, maybe 2 or 3 is best
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

It's not a really useful feature.

So why not make it require a donation per year, minimum $5? That way those that really care enough can pay for it, and it will go to pay for the server costs, not for orudge's next hat. Whether or not this demeans the odd fund-raising drive would remain be seen.

Perhaps throw in some other benefits (larger avatars? I note the current limit does not fill the user info space fully), and bam.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”