Custom rankings?

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Custom rankings?

Post by Nawdic »

Have you noticed that it was rejected already, Jamie bumped it!
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My preference has always been that donating shouldn't buy you extra privileges; for the moment at least I'd prefer this remain the case I think.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Now that we've drifted away from the original topic of Custom Rankings, via "up the requirement" and onto "pay for benefits", I'd like to offer my view on the latter!

If we're here to pay for benefits, having a custom title would be more about bragging rights than anything else. "Hey look at me, I donated some money and I want you all to know how cool I am". When (If) I donate money to the forums, I do it because I want to support the forums. In a way, custom ranks would then be bribery :P

In addition, I of course support the notion Purno put forth about raising the requirement by 10 or so since I would still remain a Tycoon :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I know one other forum where those who donate are thanked beneath their username with the logo of [WEBSITE NAME] SUPPORTER. But if we're doing more or less ok with current donation trends, I don't see why this should be implemented. Plus it would create some ego-centric "privileged" users with a "holier than thou" attitude.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

JamieLei wrote:Plus it would create some ego-centric "privileged" users with a "holier than thou" attitude.
This is what I tried to put forth, in a not so clear way :P
My Scenarios:
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Chrill wrote:
JamieLei wrote:Plus it would create some ego-centric "privileged" users with a "holier than thou" attitude.
This is what I tried to put forth, in a not so clear way :P
Ah oops - didn't notice the second page, so I missed your post! By bad!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

orudge wrote:If we bumped them all up by 10, there'd be 13 Tycoons, 1 President, 4 Chairmen, 2 Chief Executives, 7 Directors, 15 Route Supervisors, 26 Transport Coordinators, 84 Traffic Managers and over 17,500 engineers. That's quite unbalanced if you ask me.
100% of the posts in this topic were posted either by a Tycoon or by staff (Moderators, cymedrowlrs :P , admins). I'd say most topic have a similar situation albeit not as extreme. That is perhaps also unbalanced.
My Scenarios:
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Chrill wrote:100% of the posts in this topic were posted either by a Tycoon or by staff (Moderators, cymedrowlrs :P , admins).
I now feel the need to post and consequently invalidate this statement (well, the future tense of it, at least). :P
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Dave

Post by Dave »

Chrill wrote:
orudge wrote:If we bumped them all up by 10, there'd be 13 Tycoons, 1 President, 4 Chairmen, 2 Chief Executives, 7 Directors, 15 Route Supervisors, 26 Transport Coordinators, 84 Traffic Managers and over 17,500 engineers. That's quite unbalanced if you ask me.
100% of the posts in this topic were posted either by a Tycoon or by staff (Moderators, cymedrowlrs :P , admins). I'd say most topic have a similar situation albeit not as extreme. That is perhaps also unbalanced.
That's always going to happen though - if the majority of topics on the forum are about 2 years old or older, then assuming that it takes two years of sensible (lol) posting to reach 960, the majority of people that were posting pre-2008 in topics that are still live now would more than likely be Tycoons haha.

I don't think there's an issue with it; it's cool it matches TTD and to be honest who gives a flying one if it doesn't change above 960. If it's such a big issue remove it all together and have "Registered User". I never even noticed my ranking name change - there are two reasons for that. 1. Because I read the content the user has written, not the user the content has been written by, and 2. I posted that much in 2006 that I was a Tycoon within about four months hahahaha.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Maybe the system would be more challenging, if posts in the off-topic would not be counted, and posts in forum-games would count negative :roll:
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

frosch wrote:Maybe the system would be more challenging, if posts in the off-topic would not be counted, and posts in forum-games would count negative :roll:
I fear the atmosphere around here is the only thing that becomes challenging by doing what you suggested.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Maybe just not count the games. An off-topic section generally is an integral part of an online community. Even though not everybody uses it as much as some around here.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

FooBar wrote:Maybe just not count the games. An off-topic section generally is an integral part of an online community. Even though not everybody uses it as much as some around here.
I find that dodgy too: for years the powers that be let those postcounts count but then suddenly they aren't counted anymore.

Why are we looking into this again?
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Blame JamieLei. He bumped it last.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

47407 wrote:Blame JamieLei. He bumped it last.
I'll have a think about it ;). The reason I ask is that I don't see that it will change Owen's mind on custom rankings.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

frosch wrote:Maybe the system would be more challenging, if posts in the off-topic would not be counted, and posts in forum-games would count negative :roll:
^ I approve of this semi-sarcastic idea :D
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Hyronymus wrote:I find that dodgy too: for years the powers that be let those postcounts count but then suddenly they aren't counted anymore.

Why are we looking into this again?
Sure, but "the powers" are "the powers", so what they say goes. :P In the light of the recent forum rule change it may be wise to not express those powers any time soon though.

And I guess we're looking into this again because there was an unread post and people replied to that :wink:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I guess people want to be creative, and well... though forum ranks are totally insignificant, it does give some room for creativity :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My policy has always been that I'd rather not exclude any forums from post counts, and that still counts now.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”