Mark as read, my topics etc.

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Mark as read, my topics etc.

Post by MagicBuzz »

On several forums, the "mark as read" system is much better than this one if think, and a smart flag system allow users to find really fast all topic they already rode, and the one they rode and where there is a new post.

Such as this one :

http://www.zozoll-online.com/forum

(sorry, it's french speaking, but I think english people may understand how it works, vocabulary is not very hard)

How it works :
-> When a user read a topic, it is marked as readen.
-> When a user read the first topic of a category, the category is marked as readen. So we don't need to mark all topic readen when we want to unflag a category.
-> When a user post is a readen topic, it passes to unread for all the other users.
-> When the firts topic of a category is marked unreaden, the category is marked as unreaden.
-> In the category and the topic screens, the others category are written on the top of the screen, with readen/unreaden flag, enabling to go directly in a category without needing to go back to the main page. And we can see if someone posted a new message in another category.
-> When a user read a post, a small blue flag apprear on the topic.
-> When someone respond to the topic, this flag become red.
-> When clicking on a flag, we jump to our last rode post, avoiding to search where we had stoped the conversation.
-> There are 2 flag at the top of the category page. The blue one enable user to seen every topic he already readen (blue and red flags). The red one enable user to see all the topic he readen and where another user posted an answer.

If you don't understand something, ask me, I'll try to post some screenshots to explain this.

Don't hesitate to log in the forum to see these function, it is a french speaking forum, but most of the people can speak english too.

- Edit : Some gramatical correction. My english speaking level is very low :D -
Last edited by MagicBuzz on 24 Mar 2003 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

maybe it is good but this forum you shown isn't phpBB forum ... so if you want now 'marking' write to phpBB authors :wink:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

arf, yes, I forgot this :D
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Didn't read it all, but most of this is allready implemented you know...
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

GoneWacko wrote:Didn't read it all, but most of this is allready implemented you know...
No, read everything, you'll see not any of these functions are implemented now (just the first one, but global read/unread system is not)
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

i like the system as it is, the only thing I would add is, Topics remain unread until they are opened... cause I know omni will agree, it get's really annoying when IE crashes and all your unread topics are lost :(
Things to do:
1) Bend
2) Cheese It
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

Yes its very annoying. Sometimes I have to rush off when I'm here. When I log out I lose everything. :cry:
ImageImageImageImageImage
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, as I've said before, there's not a lot that can be done about that, unless you know the exact second (well, or more or less the exact time. Well actually, any time, it doesn't matter) that you want to reset the read posts to. Then I (or you, if you don't break anything ;)) can set your last visit time in the user database to a UNIX timestamp of whenever. If that makes any sense to you. ;)
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

Well I don't really understand that much :roll: I kinda get the jist, that we have to set our last visited time in some database :roll:
Things to do:
1) Bend
2) Cheese It
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, you can't, but me or Omni could. ;)
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

I know what you mean. Don't think I'll bother trying though. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”