Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Avatar file sizes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Avatar image file sizes are currently limited to 25 kilobytes. Considering many people like to use their own personal photos, and the high resolution of these images, I think it would be nice if we increased that limit to something more reasonable. I just tried to upload my new pic, but it's 32 kb. Would bumping that up to 256 kb be acceptable?

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

Post subject: Re: Avatar file sizes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Hello

kamnet wrote:
Avatar image file sizes are currently limited to 25 kilobytes. … Would bumping that up to 256 kb be acceptable?

Please bear in mind, that several people pay their ISP bills per consumed data volume. For them loading a thread with only a few large avatars every time they visits the forum would waste a noticeable amount of data volume for nothing. This, even caching exists but also further websites to visit exists.

Tschö, Auge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Auge wrote:
Hello

kamnet wrote:
Avatar image file sizes are currently limited to 25 kilobytes. … Would bumping that up to 256 kb be acceptable?

Please bear in mind, that several people pay their ISP bills per consumed data volume. For them loading a thread with only a few large avatars every time they visits the forum would waste a noticeable amount of data volume for nothing. This, even caching exists but also further websites to visit exists.

Tschö, Auge

I haven't forgotten that, but most people have vastly improved Internet capacity since the early 2000s.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I agree, I don't think the avatar size needs to be so limiting in 2018.

The majority of metered connections will probably be phone connections / data. There are simple ways of limiting the bandwidth used by sites, such as using the Chrome browser and data saver enabled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Hello

kamnet wrote:
Auge wrote:
kamnet wrote:

Please bear in mind, that several people pay their ISP bills per consumed data volume.

I haven't forgotten that, but most people have vastly improved Internet capacity since the early 2000s.

In the year 2000 I had a (seen from tody) very slow connection with unlimited traffic. Now, 18 years later, I have a much faster connection with a traffic limit. Enlarging avatars is IMHO nothing else than a waste of traffic. Not only for me, not only for further forum users, having contracts with a traffic limit but maybe also for the server operator because of possible traffic costs.

[edit]
Redirect Left wrote:
The majority of metered connections will probably be phone connections / data. There are simple ways of limiting the bandwidth used by sites, such as using the Chrome browser and data saver enabled.

Here in Germany many rural areas one can have fast internet connections only by mobile phone conentions, even for the stationary devices and only with traffic limits. So it's not only a task for the mobile browser on the phone to handle this.

And in generally it's IMHO valid to ask, if someones wish should affect someone else by leading to problems at her/his side.[/edit]

Tschö, Auge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I've bumped the size limit up to 50KB.

If your avatar is larger in file size terms, then you can link to it remotely, but please try to keep the size down, as folk can be browsing on slower and data-capped mobile connections. (Of course, if this applies to you, you can disable avatar display using the UCP.)

Also, I really should probably change my 11-year-old avatar...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:02 pm 

orudge wrote:
I've bumped the size limit up to 50KB.

If your avatar is larger in file size terms, then you can link to it remotely, but please try to keep the size down, as folk can be browsing on slower and data-capped mobile connections. (Of course, if this applies to you, you can disable avatar display using the UCP.)

Also, I really should probably change my 11-year-old avatar...

My photo is 26 years old so there's that.

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps I should make this unremarkable smudge my avatar, then it'll clearly win the oldest photo competition!

Attachment:
worlds-first-photograph-2.jpg
worlds-first-photograph-2.jpg [ 70.96 KiB | Viewed 2335 times ]