Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spam Issues
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Lately there is an influx of spam. I think its time someone did something about that, it's getting a little ridiculous now.

Perhaps make it so that you need to have at least X posts before you can post a url, or even entirely ban urls in topic titles too, no real valid reason to post a url in a topic title after all? If posting a url, don't allow the post to go through, that'll thwart them I reckon!

Post subject: Re: Spam Issues
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 am 

Trust me, it's not worse than usual. We've just not been online at the right times. Most of our work is done... in the shadows!

I too would support the inability to post URLs before you reach a number of posts. This number could be as low as "Greater than 1" really. If you have posted once, you can now post URLs. That would still eliminate 99% of all spam. Also, as you said, one could ban the phrase "http://" from topic titles.

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Whatever happened to Robobot? Wasn't that supposed to deal with most of the spam?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:19 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We do have various anti-spam mechanisms in place. Unfortunately, spammers find ways to evade them.

Restricting links in a user's first post seems a good idea. There seem to be a bunch of old abandoned mods on phpBB that implement that kind of functionality, but I'm not sure if any are actually up-to-date. I may need to write my own I guess...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I don't think that sort of modification would be too arduous or time consuming, and the payoff would be worth it, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 pm 

Pilot wrote:
Whatever happened to Robobot? Wasn't that supposed to deal with most of the spam?

There were intentions of taking it in that direction. However it could originally only clean the birthday list. A phpBB upgrade also broke the bot, then real life got in the way. I got the bot loging in sgsin just before real life got in the way. I might look into repairing it again in a way that theme changes don't break it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I don't think the URL post restriction is of any use. I've seen bots posting plenty of spam disguised as generic responses to posts without URLs anywhere specifically to try to evade that type of restriction. And it's not like it's particularly difficult to identify what is spam. It's just annoying that it fouls up discussions when we think there are legitimate new posts and there aren't.

If you need volunteers to help squash the spam, I'm available. I usually end up reporting several a week.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:41 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I think a better way would be to allow multiple reports per post, and after X move the topic/post to a restricted section for mods to look at.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

kamnet wrote:
If you need volunteers to help squash the spam, I'm available. I usually end up reporting several a week.

It might be useful to have a North American moderator once again... I'm a bit busy now (as always) but I will perhaps get back to you on that in the somewhat near future. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Does phpBB allow for levels of moderators/admins? Hand out a few low level ones that can only remove (or move) posts and not any other administrative functions? Might be handy doing that, and making a new staff rank "Janitor" or something.
Transportman wrote:
I think a better way would be to allow multiple reports per post, and after X move the topic/post to a restricted section for mods to look at.

That would also be pretty neat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:34 am 

Another solution would be that if a user has less than X posts (let's say 3), any report made will temporarily remove the post. We moderators then have to either approve the post for it to return online.

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 am 

That used to be the case before a phpBB update broke one of the mods Owen was using.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Chrill wrote:
Another solution would be that if a user has less than X posts (let's say 3), any report made will temporarily remove the post. We moderators then have to either approve the post for it to return online.

Problem is that spammers would then just continue spamming, to keep ahead of X and keep their spam visible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:42 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Transportman wrote:
Chrill wrote:

Problem is that spammers would then just continue spamming, to keep ahead of X and keep their spam visible.
Not likely.
The majority of spam is done by single hit spam bots.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:37 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Redirect Left wrote:
Transportman wrote:
Chrill wrote:

Not likely.
The majority of spam is done by single hit spam bots.

I'm not sure if it is the majority, but I also regularly see multiple hits from the same spam bot. And if the less than X posts limit is there, I expect the multiple hit spam bots to increase to compensate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:51 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

It's usually a bot doing a single hit of multiple posts, they generally act as humans do when posting to avoid any filters in place. They tend to wait a few minutes between posts to imitate someone slowly typing it out.

Most forums have a filter, and won't let you post more than 1 post in a given time frame.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I think we have a few options :

- Captcha before entering site. This site (ProMods) apparently uses them all the time. Might just be me (picture following) but at least that's how I've been having it. Seems really clean.

- Limit #posts before URL posting. Two ways :
* No direct URL, the "old" way. At least you don't accidentaly hit a URL.
* Perhaps something to block/reject "http://" or "www." or ".co" . Miight be a bit annoying but they'll break it I suppose, unless the sites they're doing are of another way.

YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?