Ideas, volume 2

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Purno wrote:...bigger map.
well said, i think 1024 should do.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

m3henry wrote:
Purno wrote:...bigger map.
well said, i think 1024 should do.
Depens on the size of things. But I believe the DD limits the amount of tiles by something like 65000*65000 (where 65000 is probably x^2).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

There will most likely be a hard limit of 65k x 65k tiles but also soft limits that probably can be set per server. 65k x 65k is huge by the way, it's 64x a 1024 x 1024 OTTD map.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:There will most likely be a hard limit of 65k x 65k tiles but also soft limits that probably can be set per server. 65k x 65k is huge by the way, it's 64x a 1024 x 1024 OTTD map.
Well, an individual tile could be smaller tho ;)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I'm afraid we have suffered a big loss. The ideas page hosted by jpl for a long time seems to have been gone. Jpl is attempting to scrutinize a crashed HDD where it might be on but it looks like we lost it. My question (and hope) is if someone ever made a backup of it.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Do you mean the wiki?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

No the old wiki is officially dead. We had our ideas put into a database that was accessible via a website of jpl: http://jpl.yi.org/te/
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Shares, optional! this could be a good way to get money, for your company, a bit like RRT2, but you can invest your own money in the company. So what do you think?
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Even worse: you have to invest personal capital in your company to found it. Exactly like RRT.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

can we sell our own company?

and can we OWN 2 companies at a time without merging them?
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

M4rek wrote:can we sell our own company?

and can we OWN 2 companies at a time without merging them?
My opinion is yes, and definitely YES!
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

ok, while we're at it, can we have it so that you can sign some sort of business partnership/contract, ie, allowing another cmpanies to use your stations/tracks/branches and so on... (and vice versa)? (most useful if you own a couple of companies)

can you sell your braches/networks and trains and stations to another company?
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Don't forget that you have to take into account the fact that there will be the AI possibly roaming around with human players. Its not practical to negotiate individual contracts, there are just too many options and it falls under micromanagement.

DANGER
Owning two companies opens up a cheat. One company could borrow to the hilt and then funnel the funds to the second company. Once the former company declares bankruptcy, limited liability ensures that the latter company cannot be responsible for the bad debt.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

aarona wrote:DANGER
Owning two companies opens up a cheat. One company could borrow to the hilt and then funnel the funds to the second company. Once the former company declares bankruptcy, limited liability ensures that the latter company cannot be responsible for the bad debt.
OTTD prevents that by not allowing giving money that you loaned.
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

But how do you determine if your money is actually loaned? You can ofcourse deny sending transfers if your cash is lower than your loan, which is a good solution IMO. But OTOH some people want to send some money (imagine that your sister company is going bankrupt) they just earned with their vehicles but they can't because they still have a loan, helping yourself out in this case wont work.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

M4rek wrote:can you sell your braches/networks and trains and stations to another company?
This is what I was actually worried about.
All you would have to do is buy up big until the company runs out of money and sell all the trains/lines/etc to another company for $1.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

well, the idea is, you need to have a company WILLING to sell and an WILLING buyer. you cant just sell it all if noone wants it and you cant buy something which isnt for sale.

as for wiring funds, you cant wire funds if you are in debt AND have a bad credit rating. credit rating is based on income/profit, loans and balance.

if you cant cover the expense of the transaction (ie make up for the loss of cash), you cant send it.

make sense?
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

M4rek wrote:well, the idea is, you need to have a company WILLING to sell and an WILLING buyer. you cant just sell it all if noone wants it and you cant buy something which isnt for sale.
What I am trying to say is that if you own two companies, you can be the buyer and seller (from one of the companies you own, to the other). Hence you can sell at a vastly undervalued price to yourself at the expense of a soon to be bankrupt company.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

well then, you have to start companyB from your own funds, and then perhaps take out a loan, but if your companyB goes bankrupt, then its finances are completely transferred to your personal account, including all the loans. if you build up a huge loan on your personal account, it brings a bad credit rating, and your companies will be sold off to the bank to cover your loan
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

If we are going to have a stock market then you could simply float Company B on the stock exchange and based on shares being "limited liability", no stockholder (including the original owner) can be held liable for any debts the company owns. This is what happens in real life.

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”