Ideas, volume 2

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Ideas, volume 2

Post by Hyronymus »

You are just completely summarising all already existing ideas, are you?
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Landscaping price idea.

Post by ohlidalp »

Idea: Neighbour-vertices-height based landscaping price.
Wiki DesignDocument, section 2(Map) wrote: idea: maybe the game should store origin heights of all vertices and base costs of landscaping on how much deviation form origin height occurred - this way landscaping would be much more limited thus forcing to manage hills rather then just levelling them on sight as it is now in TTD/LOMO
I dislike this idea very much X( . For two reasons:
1.)Leveling land in TTD/LOMO is only a matter of difficulty.
2.)It makes no sense - if a bulldozer arrives somewhere to make terrain adjustments, it makes no difference to him what was the landscape sometime ago - what matters is: what is it like now.
Therefore, I'd base the landscaping price on the height difference between the vertex being edited and the neigbouring vertices. That makes sense to me - to dig a canal on flat land is less work than to deepen an existing canal.
The exact method of calculation is not very important to me - i just want that "origin heights" idea to disappear from DD.
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ohlidalp »

Hyronymus wrote:You are just completely summarising all already existing ideas, are you?
Eh :o ...sorry if I'm doing so, but the ideas are really mine. Perhaps I just wasn't reading enough, but i didn't see them posted anywhere :| . Im going to read really everything right now...
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

OK, fair. Try the Ideas section in this subforum. I believe there are some 241 documented ideas and you'll find ideas like yours there.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Don't be discouraged, they're good ideas, that's why they're what we want to do.
Keep them coming and you're sure to find something original and useful.
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Terraforming

Post by ohlidalp »

Idea: Visual guides for terraforming.

Because TE's engine features very small terrain differences, it could be hard to precisely manipulate terrain without some visual guidance. So I thought of one. Look at the picture, I guess it explains all.
Attachments
terraform_height_visualization.png
terraform_height_visualization.png (38.55 KiB) Viewed 21573 times
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Interesting. Pretty good even :>

Could you make everything from -7 to +7 height pixel strips.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ohlidalp »

uzurpator wrote:Interesting. Pretty good even :>

Could you make everything from -7 to +7 height pixel strips.
Sorry, couldn't. I don't understand what u mean. :|
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Hmm.

Ok - nvmnd, I think how this can be implemented without any major work - stay tuned to the interface :> Good idea tho:)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

That is a really clever idea..

Innovation at its best. :)
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Include weather conditions - ie: temperature, in some calcuations.

Accepted :> (wait until next alpha :P)
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

Hi, i have a good idea about the construction of tracks (roads/railway/canals)

I like the airport idea (sharing) and i used that idea to include it a slightly different on road/railway/canal tracks. here it comes:
When your company owns a piece of track (road / rail) you can share it with other companies. The other company has to pay toll based on automatic settings. But you can also increase or decrease the amount of toll that has to be paid by the other company. For example, when you can’t offer a town/city a good bus connection to or from another town/city and another company wants to offer that, you will get a proposal from that company to share the maintenance costs OR you can let them pay toll price each month. When you lower the toll prices, the other company agree chances are bigger. If your prices are too high, the other company will not agree, and won’t start for example the wanted bus connection between 2 cities. Because of that, BOTH company approval rates will drop down huge. If both companies agree, your approval rate will rise a little. The other company her approval rate / image rate will rise when they have successfully delivered their first passengers.

Local authority or the Regional authority will subside an amount of money for a period of time when they have asked you to build a passenger connection between two cities by bus. When you actually got more profit than their subsidies the subside will stop. (note that when you make losses after you made profit on that connection, you won’t get back that subside because there must be a good reason if you not having profits from it anymore.. (maybe you or a other company) constructed a train connection (what’s more attractive anyway) and/or their fares are cheaper than yours.
(my location is the Netherlands, and my English isn't that great, but i think you guys will understand it).
Stop those stupid shooting games, make peaceful games!
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Idea: terrain smoothing

Post by ohlidalp »

Idea: terrain smoothing using Catmull-Clark's subdivision algorithm and Gouraud shading.
idea.png
idea.png (53.37 KiB) Viewed 21143 times
I got this idea when playing Sid Meier's Railroads. I realized the terrain is too high-poly to be saved in memory as is displayed. And then I found out the trick (at least I hope so :) ). The terrain really consists of squares, but the game doesn't display it directly as it is in memory. Instead, it generates new one for only the visible part of the map - and uses some subdivision algorithm(catmull-clark, I guess). And this model gets displayed then.

I don't know if it's possible - or if it really works like this. But I wish TE had something like this.
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I'd rather see tiles...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Purno wrote:I'd rather see tiles...
That depends for me, if you are tied to a grid with building stuff or if you can build things freely.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

True, but it's pretty difficult to design a grid-less game which still makes sense to the player.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ohlidalp »

Purno wrote:I'd rather see tiles...
Hyronymus wrote:That depends for me, if you are tied to a grid with building stuff or if you can build things freely.
grass_sm.png
grass_sm.png (89.11 KiB) Viewed 21073 times
I also prefer grid-based game.

My idea does not adress this. It's just a graphical effect - the game remains grid-based and the grid is optionally visible, like in RCTycoon/ LoMo.
The only difference is that tiles are not visually flat. But you modify them and build like always, because the game's map model in the memory stores them as always - flat squares.

Note: the tiles on this picture don't match with tiles in my previous post, but thats just because I'm not very skilled with blender, its not by-design
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Idea: terrain smoothing

Post by Ne0Que »

An00biS wrote:Idea: terrain smoothing using Catmull-Clark's subdivision algorithm and Gouraud shading.
idea.png
I got this idea when playing Sid Meier's Railroads. I realized the terrain is too high-poly to be saved in memory as is displayed. And then I found out the trick (at least I hope so :) ). The terrain really consists of squares, but the game doesn't display it directly as it is in memory. Instead, it generates new one for only the visible part of the map - and uses some subdivision algorithm(catmull-clark, I guess). And this model gets displayed then.

I don't know if it's possible - or if it really works like this. But I wish TE had something like this.
Its not gridless its called subnurfs.. and it is possible. When you go in terraform or build mode, you will see the actual grid and snap to it ;)
Stop those stupid shooting games, make peaceful games!
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

With the next alpha you will not see tile borders. The terrain will be fully gouraud shaded.
azzaleon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by azzaleon »

Include weather conditions - ie: temperature, in some calcuations.

Accepted :> (wait until next alpha :P)
i agree but it will be nice that the weather to affect the trains speed like snow -20 km speed WITH!!!!! out a snow plough,and normal speed WITH!!!!! snow plough !or... on very hot weather -30 km WITH!!!!! out locomotive coolers...

It's a bad or good idea? Azzaleon

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”